NHTSA bicycle safety video

Old February 27th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

Default NHTSA bicycle safety video

Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too enthusiastic
about helmets for my taste.

mark
Old February 28th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

mark wrote:
Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too
enthusiastic about helmets for my taste.

Too enthusiastic? They gave the subject about 30 seconds.

Bill "the chick (Selene Yeager?)'s a babe" S.

Old February 28th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:20:49 -0800, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

mark wrote:
Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too
enthusiastic about helmets for my taste.

Too enthusiastic? They gave the subject about 30 seconds.

"The single most important thing" you can do for your safety? So as
long as you wear a helmet, you can ignore the rest of the video,
because you're safer than someone who doesn't wear a helmet, doesn't
ride with traffic, doesn't avoid the door zone, doesn't watch out for
traffic pulling into or out of driveways?? Silly me, here I thought
using your noggin and watching where you're going were more important
than wearing a helmet!

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old February 28th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

wrote:

mark wrote:
Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too
enthusiastic about helmets for my taste.

Too enthusiastic? They gave the subject about 30 seconds.

"The single most important thing" you can do for your safety? So as
long as you wear a helmet, you can ignore the rest of the video,
because you're safer than someone who doesn't wear a helmet, doesn't
ride with traffic, doesn't avoid the door zone, doesn't watch out for
traffic pulling into or out of driveways?? Silly me, here I thought
using your noggin and watching where you're going were more important
than wearing a helmet!

No ****. I'm sick to death of the helmet panaceaists. I'd rather they
just stated the facts about lids, that they can slightly reduce the
force of impact (by 3mph, last I checked) and prevent some
lacerations. That would be a reality check, bringing them down from
the status of "magic beanie" to "moderate injury prevention device".

Old February 28th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 27, 7:20 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
mark wrote:
Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too
enthusiastic about helmets for my taste.

Too enthusiastic? They gave the subject about 30 seconds.

I timed about 40 seconds on helmets. Not a lot out of the 7:24, but
they gave helmets at least three times the coverage they gave to any
other specific issue. As an example, they gave about 10 seconds to
talking about lights. Are helmets four times as important as lights?
And are they _really_ "the single most important piece of safety
equipment you can use"? More than, say, brakes?

At least, they didn't make the ridiculous claim that helmets reduce
head injuries by 85%. This is one of very few bike safety pieces that
doesn't make that claim. Perhaps slow progress is being made.

If we can get them to include data on how much good helmets _really_
have made in large, real-world populations, we'd have something. But
then, they'd have to admit they're essentially worthless!

Otherwise, pretty good video.

- Frank Krygowski

Old February 28th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

wrote:

mark wrote:
Found this on uk.rec.cycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdrrxIpQpt4

I thought it was quite good, although they got a little too
enthusiastic about helmets for my taste.

Too enthusiastic? They gave the subject about 30 seconds.

"The single most important thing" you can do for your safety? So as
long as you wear a helmet, you can ignore the rest of the video,
because you're safer than someone who doesn't wear a helmet, doesn't
ride with traffic, doesn't avoid the door zone, doesn't watch out for
traffic pulling into or out of driveways?? Silly me, here I thought
using your noggin and watching where you're going were more important
than wearing a helmet!

The video was very basic, thus directed at novice cyclists. While one may
quibble with that one little sentence, I don't think a 30-second primer on
proper helmet fit out of a nearly 8-minute presentation is "too
enthusiastic" at all. (Unless one is ideologically anti-lid, that is.) As
for the door zone and other issues, they covered them rather well I
thougtht.

And again, the woman was a babe.

Bill S.

Old February 28th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 27, 11:48 pm, "landotter" wrote:
No ****. I'm sick to death of the helmet panaceaists. I'd rather they
just stated the facts about lids, that they can slightly reduce the
force of impact (by 3mph, last I checked) and prevent some
lacerations. That would be a reality check, bringing them down from
the status of "magic beanie" to "moderate injury prevention device".

I'm curious where the 3mph thing comes from, and what type of helmet
it refers to. My main issue with most helmets has always been
coverage, and how much of your head (not to mention face) a normal
bike helmet leaves exposed. BMX/skate style helmets cover the back of
the head far better than traditional helmets, and full-face obviously
covers even more. I'd be shocked if my BMX & full-face helmets only
reduced the impact by 3mph; they've both been exposed to many somewhat
severe hits and seemed to do their job quite nicely. I'd guess they
were using the ultra-light all foam helmets in the tests that produced
3mph?

Dan "the guy with the helmet that never fits in" K

Old February 28th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

Here is a video by the League of Illinois bicyclists

http://bikelib.org/
http://bikelib.org/video/index.htm

Old February 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Feb 28, 6:47 am, wrote:
On 27 Feb 2007 22:15:53 -0800, wrote:

At least, they didn't make the ridiculous claim that helmets reduce
head injuries by 85%. This is one of very few bike safety pieces that
doesn't make that claim. Perhaps slow progress is being made.

Noting the steady increase in MHL's in the USofA, one cannot call that
"progress".

Ugh. I'd literally move to a different city than comply with such
stupidity. On the other hand, if a local ordinance required me to
register my bike and get a $50 "cycling license" after passing a road
test, I'd have no problem with that.

Wrong way riding, lighting, turn signaling, stopping for lights and
signs, yielding when you don't have the right of way--any single one
of these basic road rules is far far more important than the mild
protection a lid will give to a small portion of your body in the
event of a tumble.

US Safety Video [email protected] UK 14 February 27th 07 05:17 PM
Club cyclists in safety video. Simon Mason UK 4 December 9th 06 02:53 PM
Safety video from League of Illinois Bicyclists Kristian M Zoerhoff Social Issues 0 December 1st 06 01:01 PM
A New Bicycle Safety Idea Jeff Napier General 3 May 27th 06 08:02 PM
Bicycle Safety and Licenses Wayne Pein General 5 July 16th 05 03:30 AM