6 Days on Missouri KATY trail - 450 miles

Old April 27th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
daytoncapri[_2_]

Default 6 Days on Missouri KATY trail - 450 miles

I posted this message on the bikekatytrail website. Not much response
yet, except from another guy with the same questions. So maybe there's
an knowledgable bicyclist who subscribes to this group.

///////

I NEED SERIOUS ADVICE, FOLKS. How is the Katy Trail looking for a
rigorous long-distance trip in Mid-June, 2010?

The goal is to do the entire 450 mile KATY (225x2) in 6 nights at a
pace of roughly 75-80 miles/day.
Physically and gear-wise, I am in good shape to handle this, but have
strong concerns about finding camp sites along the way.

Last year, I did a solo 370 (185x2) mile trip across the C&P Canal
path in 5 nights, two days of which involved lotsa rain and mud. To
the good, the Katy is paved in gravel, a bit easier than the dirt-mud
conditions of the C&P.

C&P offers free National Park campsites approximately every 5 miles,
which is super convenient. In contrast, KATY has fewer camping
options, which requires careful planning.

What do you think of this plan? Is my math OK?

1. Day 1 - St Charles Trailhead / MM 39.5 to Steedman - Terry's Suds
and Grubs / MM 121.4 = 81.9 Miles

2. Day 2 - Terry's Suds + Grubs / MM 121.4 to Boonville - Bobber Rest.
+Camp / MM 191.8 = 70.4 Miles

3. Day 3
o Leg 1- Boonville - Bobber Rest.+Camp / MM 191.8 to Clinton
Trailhead MM 264.8 = 73 Miles
o Leg 2 - (reverse direction) Clinton Trailhead MM 264.8 to Windsor -
Farrington Park MM 248 = 16.8 Miles
o Day 4 Total = 89.8 Miles

4. Day 4 - Windsor -Farrington Park MM 248 to Huntsdale - Catfish
Katy's MM 171.7 = 76.3 Miles

5. Day 5 - Huntsdale - Catfish Katy's MM 171.7 to Bluffton -
Steamboat Rentals MM 110.7 = 61 Miles

6. Day 6 - Bluffton - Steamboat Rentals MM 110.7 to St Charles
Trailhead / MM 39.5 = 71.2 Miles

Old April 28th 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck

On Apr 26, 7:39*pm, daytoncapri wrote:
[...]

I have done both directions - easy to do in in 3 days
But I am a softie - did credit cards - and b & b's; lots of
little towns should have places to pitch a tent. Question
is services you might need in evenings or overnights.
Easy to keep going WEATHER PERMITTING. Chuck Omaha

Katy Trail? Pat[_6_] Rides 12 March 15th 08 04:14 PM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 04:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 02:30 AM
Katy Trail Info John Everett Rides 4 August 31st 04 09:33 PM
Ten days for Katy Trail - and then what? Kevin Saff Rides 25 August 27th 04 11:13 PM