Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

Old May 6th 18, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

Sorry, but I find my life and health too valuable to run with that
sort of hazard mounted on the front rim. Again, you do not properly
fix any of the frayed strands with that. IOW an accident waiting to
happen. Well, it's your life, not mine.

Oh nonsense. As I said at the outset experience has shown that if you nip the fraying in the bud, the tire is still fine. You can verify this by running your finger over it. A little fraying does not mean there is a bulge there. From that point what is there to worry about , as you can just watch it daily, and see that it is not getting worse? I have already gone thru this exercise and can enjoy the awesome performance of the gatorskin

Luckily, its a rear wheel in the picture. When is the last time you
died due to a rear blow-out?

I'd have to ask the social security office :-)

... I've blown an overheated tire on a
tandem on a 15% descent and didn't die. At least I don't think I
died -- but that's a question for the philosophy NG.

When the rear blew on my MTB last time it was so violent that it caused
serious damage. A chunk of the tire flew off and must have hit stuff in
the process. Smashed the charge controller circuit board, rear light
blown to smittereens, some bent metal, a hole in the canvas trunk. I had
to hoof it home for many miles with a bike that was unwilling to roll.

Anyhow, what good does such a "fix" do for the Gatorskins that developed
sidewall failure on my front wheel? Nothing. This sort of fix is totally
inadequate and dangerous.

It would have prevented it from getting to the point of being dangerous if you had just dabbed a drop of stuff on it when it first happened.

That said, given the frequency that the fraying occurs, I am starting to think that the fraying comes from unmounting and mounting the wheel, esp. w/o lowering the tire pressure.
Old May 6th 18, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-05 22:16, Doug Landau wrote:

Sorry, but I find my life and health too valuable to run with
that sort of hazard mounted on the front rim. Again, you do not
properly fix any of the frayed strands with that. IOW an
accident waiting to happen. Well, it's your life, not mine.

Oh nonsense. As I said at the outset experience has shown that if
you nip the fraying in the bud, the tire is still fine. You can
verify this by running your finger over it. A little fraying does
not mean there is a bulge there.

Oh man.

... From that point what is there to
worry about , as you can just watch it daily, and see that it is not
getting worse? I have already gone thru this exercise and can enjoy
the awesome performance of the gatorskin

It's your health that is at risk, not mine.

[...]

No. At that point the fibers were already compromised.

That said, given the frequency that the fraying occurs, I am starting
to think that the fraying comes from unmounting and mounting the
wheel, esp. w/o lowering the tire pressure.

How that? At least my brakes have a little lever that gets flicked
outward for wheel mounting, then back. Nothing will rub or chafe.

My Gatorskins failed more or less prontissimo. Either with a loud bang
or by me noting a developing "aneurysm". Anyhow, in my garage they are
banned now. Now I am using tires where I do not have to inspect the rims
after every ride with a magnifying glass like Inspecteur Clouseau.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 7th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.

It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering iron
to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To save the
expense of having to buy new ones.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/tread-doctor-knobby-cutting-tool-for-usa/

Old May 7th 18, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.

It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering iron
to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To save the
expense of having to buy new ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I think you missed the sarcasm

Okay, but sarcasm often doesn't work well on Usenet. The Onion is a
different story.

Old May 7th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.

It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering
iron to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To
save the expense of having to buy new ones.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/tread-doctor-knobby-cutting-tool-for-usa/

Yup. Another accident waiting to happen. The ones I saw in Europe had
sort of a heated "cutting box" at the tip to "dregde" the tread valley.
It's really sick, just like glueing tire side walls is.

Old May 7th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 10:52 AM, Doug Landau wrote:

With a $45 tire I do not expect to have to rant snipped

I spent another few minutes and $1 of gorilla snot on this tire :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdsokmbfixi7jf2/tire.jpg?dl=0

I'll get my 3K miles out of this gatorskin, no problem

OMG, what a terribly ridiculous thing to do to save a few bucks.

It reminds me of the guys who used some sort of glorified soldering
iron to cut "new tread" into their car tires when they were bald. To
save the expense of having to buy new ones.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/product/tread-doctor-knobby-cutting-tool-for-usa/

Yup. Another accident waiting to happen. The ones I saw in Europe had
sort of a heated "cutting box" at the tip to "dregde" the tread valley.
It's really sick, just like glueing tire side walls is.

Why is it another accident waiting to happen? The cutting of knobs looks pretty benign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=eHeNgjNDSwI The knife doesn't even come close to the cords.

I also don't see how putting some shoe goo-ish substance on a scuffed sidewall is so dangerous. I've ridden plenty of tires with scuffed sidewalls with no patch at all. I just wore them out. It's not like Doug is patching some gash, and in fact, looking at the tire, it's hard to see the scuff.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 7th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2018-05-07 06:43, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 4:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
[...]

But things are different out in the wild west Jay. Imagine a blowout
when the mountain lions are circling. You'd do anything to prevent that
except maybe carry a chain tool. There are limits to everything.

Old May 7th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-07 06:43, sms wrote:
On 5/4/2018 4:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-05-04 15:07, sms wrote:
[...]

Re-shaping knobbies can be ok but people use these to deepen the valleys
as well. Also, take a closer look at the video and you can see how he
damages the "meat" next to the knobbies. That can trigger a progressing
hair fracture in the rubber next to the knobbies and then somewhere in
the boonies ... *POOF* ... tire is gone. I won't likely cause injury but
a non-rideable dirt bike 50mi from anywhere can be very unpleasant.

I also don't see how putting some shoe goo-ish substance on a scuffed
sidewall is so dangerous. I've ridden plenty of tires with scuffed
sidewalls with no patch at all. I just wore them out. It's not like
Doug is patching some gash, and in fact, looking at the tire, it's
hard to see the scuff.

Pictures Doug posted earlier clearly showed compromised and frayed
threads. These do not re-gain any strength whatsoever from such a
cosmetic "repair". It's like smearing Bondo over a structural crack on a
vehicle. We all know what can happen if the front road bike tire blows
on a fast downhill section of road.

But things are different out in the wild west Jay. Imagine a blowout
when the mountain lions are circling. ...

I had cattle around me when that happened last time. The kaboom made
them run away. Luckily that didn't cause a stampede of the rest of the
herd. Strangely, while I was cleaning up the pieces that had flown off
the bike they came back. Probably curious enough to see what's going on.

... You'd do anything to prevent that
except maybe carry a chain tool. There are limits to everything.

Guys, I went ahead and dunnit. Ordered a Crank Brothers M19 bike tool
this morning so I don't have to carry individual hex wrenches. Makes it
easier when helping others as well.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/produc...nt=53958754055

It has a chain tool! So the old hardened-steel concrete nail can be
retired. That nail has been with me for decades, maybe I should frame it.

Old May 7th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

snip

Tread cutting is done regularly by MTB racers. https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...-to-cut-tires/ And, of course, motorcycle racers. It doesn't lead to a failure unless you penetrate the casing, and then you get a flat -- and not some massive, tire-ending failure. The tire is not gone. I've booted innumerable casing cuts and ridden home.

I also don't see how putting some shoe goo-ish substance on a scuffed
sidewall is so dangerous. I've ridden plenty of tires with scuffed
sidewalls with no patch at all. I just wore them out. It's not like
Doug is patching some gash, and in fact, looking at the tire, it's
hard to see the scuff.

Pictures Doug posted earlier clearly showed compromised and frayed
threads. These do not re-gain any strength whatsoever from such a
cosmetic "repair". It's like smearing Bondo over a structural crack on a
vehicle. We all know what can happen if the front road bike tire blows
on a fast downhill section of road.

Doug says it was minor and nothing in the pictures indicates a serious problem.

Assuming his casing scuff developed into a casing failure (which I doubt), he would get a rear blow-out -- or just a rear flat if the resulting hole were small. He could fold-over a dollar bill, boot the tire, put in a spare tube and ride home. Yawn. None of this will or could happen if he just kept an eye on the tire, which he is doing. Bad casings will bulge long before they burst, if they every burst.

But things are different out in the wild west Jay. Imagine a blowout
when the mountain lions are circling. ...

I had cattle around me when that happened last time. The kaboom made
them run away. Luckily that didn't cause a stampede of the rest of the
herd. Strangely, while I was cleaning up the pieces that had flown off
the bike they came back. Probably curious enough to see what's going on.

Pieces flying off the bike? What? Do you run your tires at 1,000 PSI? Are you using your wheels for shotgun target practice?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 7th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Regarding the tread cutter, ISTM this is likely to be more effort than flipping the tire around.