Geared hub advice needed.

Old December 28th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cokernut

Default Geared hub advice needed.

I have just received a new geared hub and I am having great difficulty
in hitting the upshift button. Everytime I manage to hit it I am
immediatley
thrown off the uni, possibly because I have slowed down so much trying
find the button.
Any tips on technique would be appreciated.

--
cokernut
Old December 28th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Practice

There is actually not a lot more to it.

Some people hit the button with their ankles, others with the heel of
their shoe. Some people rub it over the button, others give it a good
kick.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 28th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

fwiw (I've only had a GUNI the last week or so) what I've found helpful
getting started so far is:

- going to a longer crank, which feels a bit goofy in 1:1 but
definitely helps in making the shift to 1:1.5 and learning to ride
1:1.5.

- prior to shifting gears, position the foot making the shift as
needed. for me that means moving the foot in towards the crank a little
and positioning the foot further back on the pedal so my ankle is in the
right spot.

- just as I shift up to 1:1.5 by giving my ankle a decisive flick
inwards, I let off pedal pressure and anticipate the pause as the pedals
slow relative to the wheel - the latter seems to help smooth the change,
and have the legs ready to take the load .

- I pretty much do the same for shifting down to 1:1, but instead
anticipate pedaling quicker just as 1:1 engages.

So far for me shifting up to 1:1.5 is lot smoother and more enjoyable.
Shifting down to 1:1 seems like a lot of crazy spinning after the high
gear. The main glitch hasn't been falling off when changing gears, but
making reliable contact with the shifter button, which isn't a biggie as
I just try to shift again next time around.

I'm using low shoes atm, I'll probably get some mid's/high's so life is
bit easier on the ankles shifting.

Apart from my usual riding I aim for a session each day of just riding
back and forth changing gears, along with some easy runs in 1:1.5,
trying to keep it smooth and getting a feel for how to control it etc.
Takes a bunch of concentration atm.

My initial impression is that the jump from 1:1 to 1:1.5 could be too
wide for a lot of off road use which is mainly what I do ... maybe
something more like 1:1.3 might be more useful during a ride, but that
is probably due to my lack of experience on the GUNI.

--
lunicycle
Old December 28th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

I wrote a thread about this a while ago:

http://tinyurl.com/7estyh

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 29th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cokernut

Thanks for the advice guys, already there is a big improvement.

--
cokernut

Advice Needed unima Unicycling 11 June 22nd 07 05:49 PM
HPV advice needed. Mike Sales UK 44 May 29th 07 08:12 PM
TdF: Advice needed elyob UK 25 June 25th 06 01:11 PM
Advice needed Atz UK 11 July 25th 05 04:06 PM
hi - some advice needed! KoperniK UK 13 May 25th 05 09:47 PM