Put Interrupter levers on MTB Drop bar bike and drop bar levers nowfeel spongy

Old December 27th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Put Interrupter levers on MTB Drop bar bike and drop bar leversnow feel spongy

On 12/27/2018 9:18 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 5:54:45 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I put Interupter levers on an MTB Drop bar bike with cantilever brakes and now drop bar levers feel spongy. The interrupter levers feel fine. Any ideas why the two different types of brake levers feel so different? I did NOT have this problem when I did the same thing to my touring bike also with cantilever brake calipers.

Thanks and cheers.

Bringing this back to the original topic.

Do interrupter brake levers come in both Cantilever Compatible and also in V-Brake Compatible? I have a friend who wants to put a pair on his bike too.

No, not necessary. They are compatible to both systems.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 27th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 12/27/2018 9:18 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 5:54:45 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I put Interupter levers on an MTB Drop bar bike with cantilever brakes
and now drop bar levers feel spongy. The interrupter levers feel fine.
Any ideas why the two different types of brake levers feel so
different? I did NOT have this problem when I did the same thing to my
touring bike also with cantilever brake calipers.

Thanks and cheers.

Bringing this back to the original topic.

Do interrupter brake levers come in both Cantilever Compatible and also
in V-Brake Compatible? I have a friend who wants to put a pair on his bike too.

No, not necessary. They are compatible to both systems.

While I don't doubt your statement, I do find myself wondering "well, how
does THAT work?" The interrupter lever has to pull a certain amount of
cable (or more precisely, housing), and if it's so important for the main
levers to have either a short or a long pull, why doesn't it matter for the
interrupter lever? Or do the just pull an in-between amount and we put up
with non-optimal braking because they're "secondary brake levers"?

Old December 27th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

The ones I have pull a ton of cable (well, push housing, but you
know...). I suspect the force required is higher, but I have strong
hands, and have never noticed it to be a problem. Some fancier ones
have adjustable pivots.

--
sig 124
Old December 27th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I was perplexed enough to do my own damn Google search. The Paul
interrupter levers are truly universal, as they have two pivot holes, and
you move the pin from one to the other to make them either short or long
pull. The Tektro 721s on my bike are short pull only, and the instructions
warn against using them with V-brakes.

Old December 27th 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/27/2018 12:06 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

They have a lot of travel and can span both systems before
hitting the handlebar.

Old December 27th 18, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/27/2018 12:19 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

They do feel weird with linear but they function unlike a
road lever.