What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)bike or its accessories?

Old January 18th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)bike or its accessories?

What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

I know that favorite & most ridden aren't necessarily the same bike, but
it's an interesting question either way. I had this thought yesterday
while riding home and fighting with my handlebar bag. I really want to
lower the gearing on this bike with a new crankset, but that's only for
infrequent tours. I think that if I could only change one thing I would
get a new handlebar bag that doesn't flop around, is easier to zip, and
holds my maps pocket in a visible position at all times.

How about you?
Old January 18th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jan 18, 4:32*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

I know that favorite & most ridden aren't necessarily the same bike, but
it's an interesting question either way. *I had this thought yesterday
while riding home and fighting with my handlebar bag. *I really want to
lower the gearing on this bike with a new crankset, but that's only for
infrequent tours. *I think that if I could only change one thing I would
get a new handlebar bag that doesn't flop around, is easier to zip, and
holds my maps pocket in a visible position at all times.

How about you?

Ventana hardtail - I don't think there's anything I would change. It
could use some new rubber I guess, say tires and grips. It'll get new
tires in the spring, but I have bought a couple sets of grips and
don't like any of them, so I'm not sure what I'll do there. Aside
from that the only thing I'd change is how often it gets ridden - not
often enough as of late. This bike is certainly my favorite and
possibly my most ridden.

If the Ventana isn't the most ridden, the 1960's Rudge singlespeed
is. If i could change anything on that bike I'd like to see it get
brifters, a new wheel set with 7 or more speeds, a double up front and
of course the required cables, deraillers and brakes to bring it all
together. Somehow I don't think this project will ever come to
fruition.
Old January 18th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson

Rex Kerr wrote:
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

I know that favorite & most ridden aren't necessarily the same bike, but
it's an interesting question either way. I had this thought yesterday
while riding home and fighting with my handlebar bag. I really want to
lower the gearing on this bike with a new crankset, but that's only for
infrequent tours. I think that if I could only change one thing I would
get a new handlebar bag that doesn't flop around, is easier to zip, and
holds my maps pocket in a visible position at all times.

How about you?

I wish my old Trek 330 (w/ modern 9spd stuff) had eyelets for a rack.
Having the rack & luggage on my singlespeed just hasn't been the best
option since my wrist injury.

I think the best solution, however, is to get an Nexus or SRAM internal
gear hub for the single speed and keep the Trek as-is or strip it down.

\\paul
Old January 19th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jan 18, 5:07 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
Rex Kerr wrote:
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

Spring loaded front fork mechanism that would allow me to deploy by a
handle bar trigger forcing the compressed front shock to release
providing a 'wheelie' effect on 'bent. Would need to re-compress
shock under normal riding conditions as soon as I got over the curb.

Old January 19th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Default What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or mostri...

My main machine has been built up from the bare frame and updated as
necessary over it's entire twenty year life of that frame). Everything
that's on it is there because I chose to put it there. The last mod gave
it the only thing it lacked, Lowrider dropouts and a new paint job.

If there were any changes I could mae it would be to the pitiful clubs
in the state I ride in, not what I ride.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old January 19th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Rex Kerr" wrote in message
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden) bike
or its accessories?

Top of the line generator hub, rather than second-to-top-of-the-line
generator hub.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old January 20th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jan 18, 4:32 pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

I know that favorite & most ridden aren't necessarily the same bike, but
it's an interesting question either way. I had this thought yesterday
while riding home and fighting with my handlebar bag. I really want to
lower the gearing on this bike with a new crankset, but that's only for
infrequent tours. I think that if I could only change one thing I would
get a new handlebar bag that doesn't flop around, is easier to zip, and
holds my maps pocket in a visible position at all times.

How about you?

Are we talking fantasy changes, or practical changes?

For fantasy changes: A way to ride in perfect genteel comfort in the
rain. No sweat, no rain on my glasses, no splashing from passing
cars, no muddy water on my dress pants or dress shoes.

For practical changes to my touring bike, I'm torn between wanting a
SON hub generator, versus a nice way of integrating an aero bar with a
big handlebar bag.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 20th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:59:42 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
"Rex Kerr" wrote in message
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden) bike
or its accessories?

Top of the line generator hub, rather than second-to-top-of-the-line
generator hub.

Is that a technical problem, or a "grass is greener" problem?

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old January 20th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Jan 18, 3:32 pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

I know that favorite & most ridden aren't necessarily the same bike, but
it's an interesting question either way. I had this thought yesterday
while riding home and fighting with my handlebar bag. I really want to
lower the gearing on this bike with a new crankset, but that's only for
infrequent tours. I think that if I could only change one thing I would
get a new handlebar bag that doesn't flop around, is easier to zip, and
holds my maps pocket in a visible position at all times.

How about you?

Some way to truly adjust the geometry of the bike on the fly. A simple
switch on the handlebars would be great, but a lever under the seat
would work too. A way to adjust bb height, head tube angle and amount
of travel.

Or.

A way to adjust tyre pressure on the fly, that would be handy.

Back in reality, a gravity dropper seatpost.
Old January 20th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:32:42 -0800, Rex Kerr
wrote:

What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)
bike or its accessories?

The accessory I'm riding most frequently this winter again is the
Xtracycle Free Radical. This year it's on a step-through frame,
different wheels, larger tires with different pedals, drive train and
a higher, wider swept-back handlebar.

I ride it a lot during Spring, Summer and Autumn too. Longtails are
often useful and it's undoubtedly the most comfortable bike I own.

About the only thing I see changing on that bike now would be
electrifying it. Probably a rear hub motor with 12 gauge spokes and a
disc-brake. I'd prefer a Stokemonkey but they're significantly more
expensive, more complicated and ultimately less versatile application
of the same motor, controller and battery technology.
--
zk