Two unusual vintage bicycle tires - does anybody remember these?

Old December 4th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Two unusual vintage bicycle tires - does anybody remember these?

In my various discussions of bicycle tire manufacturing trivia, there's
two examples that other people have mentioned but could not remember all
the details of:

1. the first example was a folding tire, produced long before Kevlar
beads became common. This tire had short (~1") segments of wire or some
other hard material in the beads, instead of a solid hoop of continuous
wire or cable.

2. Another was a tire that had tread on both the inside and the outside.
Once the /first/ side was worn down, you could flip the tire inside-out
and use the other side until that was worn too.

It's not a critical matter, but a few times I've tried searching with
Google and not ever managed to find any info about either tire.
Old December 4th 16, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Try

https://www.google.com/search?q=two+...obile&ie=UTF-8

English language search plus 'patent'

Or use Google Patent, a separate search area page
Old December 4th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2016 9:10 PM, DougC wrote:
In my various discussions of bicycle tire manufacturing
trivia, there's two examples that other people have
mentioned but could not remember all the details of:

1. the first example was a folding tire, produced long
before Kevlar beads became common. This tire had short (~1")
segments of wire or some other hard material in the beads,
instead of a solid hoop of continuous wire or cable.

2. Another was a tire that had tread on both the inside and
the outside. Once the /first/ side was worn down, you could
flip the tire inside-out and use the other side until that
was worn too.

It's not a critical matter, but a few times I've tried
searching with Google and not ever managed to find any info
about either tire.

I don't know either.
That said you may be thinking of Jobst Brandt's experiment
with a snipped bead to show that the mechanical lip of a
modern rim is sufficient, obviating the Michelin principle.

To the 2d item, my intuition is that the fabric and tread on
most products would not allow flipping a tire inside out
without delamination. I could be wrong and there may be some
technique to get around that issue but most tires wouldn't
be able to do that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 4th 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

since 1 April, 1971

WE'RE WAITING ON THE PATENT SEE HOW

Old December 4th 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

WAITING ON THE PATENT SEE HOW THE TUBE GOES IN .....

Old December 5th 16, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 09:43:54 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering about the shape of the bead on a reversible tire. I also
can't see an advantage to a reversible tire. If "X" amount of rubber
is layered on both sides of a tire carcass it seems as though the tire
would be little different in weight or service life than a tire with 2
times "X" rubber layered on one side of the carcass. Perhaps that is
why they don't seem to be available these days :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 16, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

The sidewall wears, the worn tread will not support a tube
Old December 9th 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 4:23:49 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
[...]

I'm waiting for a reversible glue-on.