Opinions on a Raleigh Sport 2004 road bike

Old March 17th 04, 02:50 PM
Jeff C

Default Opinions on a Raleigh Sport 2004 road bike

Hey...Came across this newsgroup when trying to find info on a good
entry level road bike.

Back in January i bought a MTB from walmart (crap, i know) to see if I
would enjoy biking instead of going to the gym. Didnt want to invest
much in case I didnt like it, so i spent 150 a mountain bike..

I ride on the silver comet trail here in atlanta, which is a nice
paved trail. My problem is that my mtn bike doesnt go as fast as i
would like..even with 1.5" road tires i still only avg around 14mph on
my 15 mile ride..and on the flat places, even in the fastest gear, i
have to pump like a madman to reach 18mph..

So, I would like an entry level road bike for more speed (and a better
overall experience)..the local bike shop has a Raleigh Sport 2004 for
around 450, and was wondering what your opinions might be on it before
i purchase it. I took it for a spin around the parking lot, and it
felt much nicer than my current bike, of course. biggest difference is
getting used to the bars being lower and the placement of the
brakes..but i'm sure it wont be an issue once i get used to it..

does anyone have an opinion on the Raleigh bike, and if its worth the
450?

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=161&va=0

thanks for any help!
-jeff
Old March 17th 04, 03:02 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

Welcome to the world of road bike riding!

I don't know much about that particular bike, but Raleigh is a respected
name, and most bikes in that price range are going to be similar, so I
don't think you're being ripped off. Does that bike have integrated
shifters (the gear shift built into the brake levers)? You can find a
few bikes at that price which have that if it interests you. If you
have Fuji dealer around, they also have some nice entry-level road
bikes: the Ace, League, and Finest, in order of increasing price
(IIRC). You might try one of them to see if you like the fit even
better. I do know that all but the lowest-priced of the three has
integrated shifters.

You could also look around for a used road bike; if you can find one
which fits, for the same money you would get a significantly higher-
level set of components (lighter and smoother operating).

newsgroups if possible).
Old March 17th 04, 10:12 PM
Rick Onanian

On 17 Mar 2004 06:50:26 -0800, (Jeff C) wrote:
getting used to the bars being lower and the placement of the

You'll want the bars higher than pictured at the link below. Don't
leave the shop without the bars nearly as high as the saddle -- an
inch below is fine. Of course, the saddle must be set properly, and
your reach (forward length from saddle to handlebar), and a few
other things. Make sure the shop is willing and _able_ to fit you
properly.

does anyone have an opinion on the Raleigh bike, and if its worth the
450?
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...temid=161&va=0

Looks like a good bike, and you certainly won't get more than that
for $450 brand new. It even comes with that nice adjustable stem.
The saddle looks like it's the type that is soft and cushy for a few
miles, then puts pressure where you don't want it after you've
ridden awhile...unless it has a cutout (not visible in that
picture).
--
Rick Onanian
Old March 17th 04, 10:24 PM
Rob Lipsey

The Raleigh website has conflicting information. It says it has an
aluminum frame but right below that it says HiTen Steel Road Frame.
Also, under "view specs" it says: Frame: Steel Road. It's probably
aluminum based on the photo. Then it says: 24-Speed Shimano STI
Drivetrain. But under "view specs" it says 9-speed Shimano Cassette.
This would make it a 27-speed. Based on the $450 price, it is
probably 24-speed.

Ignoring the website's problems...

At $450, you are at the entry point of entry level for road bikes.
Nothing wrong with that. The key is to make sure that you are getting
decent value for your money. This bike seems to offer that and
Raleigh is a good name. Sure, it would be nice to get a complete
Shirmano Sora drivetrain/brakes rather than the 2200 components but
you would probably have to spend another $100 or so to get that stuff
and besides, compared to your current bike, this one is going to feel
like Lance Armstrong's Trek 5900. If it turns out that you like your
road bike, and you probably will (grin), you can always get a better
bike later. If you don't like it (extraordinarily unlikely), then at
least you haven't spent a whole bunch of money.

Good luck and enjoy the road.
Old March 18th 04, 05:11 AM
Steve Bernhardt

I looked closely at this the Raleigh Sport; IIRC, it looked like a decent
bike. Steel frame, sora components, including integrated shifters. I
looked at a number of bikes in this price range, including the Trek 1000
(usually around $519) and the specialized Allez. Settled on the Felt F90
for $559. The upshot? I think the Sport would be decent, but it was around
5 pounds heavier than the aluminum bikes. I think you would be happy with
it, but shop around for what feels the best. Beware of a phenomenon I will
call "price creep" for lack of a better term..... It is real easy to get
sucked into buying MORE and MORE expensive bikes the longer you look. Pick
a price range and stick to it.

Steve

om...

Old March 18th 04, 10:18 PM
Rob Lipsey

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:11:12 -0700, "Steve Bernhardt"
wrote:

? I think the Sport would be decent, but it was around
5 pounds heavier than the aluminum bikes.

I doubt this. The Raleigh website lists the Sport 04 weight at 25
pounds. Manufacturers are known to bend the truth a bit on such
matters, but a bike 5 pounds lighter would weigh 20 pounds and I don't
think you're going to find a 20 pound bike for $500-600.

Old March 19th 04, 04:44 AM
Steve Bernhardt

I was skeptical also, until the bike store guy hung the bikes on his ceiling
suspended scale and did the comparison. The Trek was 23, the Raleigh a very
bit shy of 28. He attributed the difference to the website listing the
weight of the smallest frame. Those weights are for 56" bikes.

Steve

news

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Flat bar road bike opinions? Slider2699 General 4 October 2nd 03 05:09 AM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM