Need MTB wheel

Old May 25th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Craig

Default Need MTB wheel

Our daughter's front wheel was stolen, and I am trying to replace it without
"breaking the bank." Doing some online pricing, I see that we could easily
spend $100 or more for wheel, tire, and disc brake rotor. We paid $250
(shipped) for the entire bike, so it is hard to justify spending $100 for
one wheel. This is a cruise-around-campus bike, not one that will be used
for trail riding.

So I am asking if anyone has a spare wheel to sell. The wheel she had was
an Alex Rims, probably their lower end. The rear wheel is labeled ID19.
The hub was something generic. The tire was a Kenda 26" x 2.1". The bike
also has Hayes disc brakes (cable pull), so the hub needs to accept the
six-hole rotor.

Thanks for anything you might have to offer.

Craig
[My reply-to address is munged on purpose, but you should be able to figure
it out. Or just reply to the list.]

Old May 25th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Erness Wild

Craig wrote:
[...]

I hope you don't end up buying the wheel back from the thief. We had a
similar situatiion and I found a used one complete with tire at a flea
market. You also might want to keep an eye out on trash day. Many
people toss out bicycles that still have good parts on them. Doesn't
happen too often, but I've found some hard to find bicycle part this
way. Depends on your "hassle" threshold.
Old May 26th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Craig

Before she left school for the semester, she checked the nearby dumpsters,
and also notified friends who said they would keep a lookout. Now she is
home (250 miles away). I am checking craigslist and ebay to see if the
thief tries to sell it.

Note: The whole bicycle was "stolen" as she studied at the school library.
The thief rode it to the boy's dorm, and it sat there for a day before she
found it -- less the front wheel. So it was a moron (aka freshman or
sophomore boy) who took the bike because he didn't want to walk all the way
back to his dorm.

Yes, she had a bike lock, and No, it wasn't used on this occasion. That
discussion has already been held!

Craig

Old May 26th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Craig wrote:
[...]

Has the bike got provisions for a "V" brake ? non disc brake wheels
are a dime a dozen, and the brake assemblies are also cheap.
Old May 28th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Craig

Good thought, and I hadn't thought of it before. No, there are no lugs or
holes for mounting V or caliper brakes. Thanks anyway.

Craig