Water bottle you don't have to tip up

Old July 18th 03, 08:27 PM
Dan Musicant

Default Water bottle you don't have to tip up

I actually found one of these, like the ones goalies use in the NHL.
It's a quart plastic bottle and I'd be happy enough with it except that
the water tastes like plastic. I did a little looking (REI and
Sportmart), but they didn't have anything like it. These have a tube
that you drink from that goes down to the bottom of the bottle. So, when
you squeeze the bottle, it forces water up from the bottom of the bottle
through the tube, so you don't have to tip the bottle to drink from it.
There's a vent at the top. I'd think these would be readily available
but haven't seen them except the one I found in the street - probably
because the previous owner didn't like the taste either.

Old July 18th 03, 08:40 PM
Doug Huffman

The taste is due to the quality of the plastic and its care. The bottle is
called a 'wash bottle' and is common in laboratories.

Old July 18th 03, 11:41 PM
G. Huang

I have a Rubbermaid bottle that has a built-in straw. It does not have
the "neck" of a typical bottle but still fits a cage reasonably well.
They are available in most supermarkets in Rubbermaid container section.

Old July 19th 03, 08:32 PM
Dan Musicant

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:06:39 +0100, James Hodson
wrote:

:On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:27:50 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:
:
:I actually found one of these, like the ones goalies use in the NHL.
:It's a quart plastic bottle and I'd be happy enough with it except that
:the water tastes like plastic.
:
:
an
:
:I've found that rinsing out the bottle with bicarbonate of soda takes
:away that plastic taste reasonably well. Conversely, washing out your
:bottle with too-hot water puts that nasty taste back in.
:
:James

I tried the baking soda and I think it worked. Left a solution in there
for a few hours. Today, the taste wasn't noticeable. Maybe it will come
back when the weather's hotter, don't knowl.

Old July 20th 03, 12:44 PM
James Hodson

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:32:35 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:

You're talking about regular house-hold baking soda, right? Should I put
a solution of that in the bottle and leave it overnight?

There's one other problem with the bottle. For some reason, after
twisting the top on, quite often the seal is lost and I have to reseal
the bottle (twist the top on again). This is significant because lack of
a good seal means the water doesn't shoot up the tube like it should
when you squeeze the bottle. I really think this type of water bottle is
optimal for a bicycle because:

1) It's big (quart)
2) You don't have to tip it up to drink from it

AND

I tried the baking soda and I think it worked. Left a solution in there
for a few hours. Today, the taste wasn't noticeable. Maybe it will come
back when the weather's hotter, don't know.

Hi Dan

Just the regular stuff. I usually just chuck a good-sized lump into
the bottle, shake it up vigorously and lease the lot overnight. The
following morning (or whenever) I rinse it out thoroughly with cold
water. It can taste a little strange at first; if so, rinse a bit
more.

I have only tested this on bottles of metric size but I have no reason
to believe it wouldn't work with imperial sized bottles ;-)

I like the idea of not having to tip up the bottle in order to drink
from it. For some reason - probably my lack or coordination - I make a
real pig's ear of dring whilst on the move. At the very least i have
to stop pedalling.

Regarding the after-taste in hot weather; I've found that any
noticable nasty taste only reappears if you wash the bottle again in
too-hot water. Naturally, warm water doesn't taste partcularly nice
.... period.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 20th 03, 03:57 PM
Dan Musicant

wrote:
:
[...]

It appears I may be able to get along with this bottle after all, if
that baking soda solution is OK. Also, I may have a workaround for the
problem of the top coming loose. I think if I grip the bottle farther
down when I squeeeeeze out water, it won't cause the top to lose it's
grip. I do like this water bottle way more than all those tiping kind.
And I don't have to take all those dead on smashes like the goalies do.

Dan
Old July 20th 03, 05:58 PM
James Hodson

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:57:03 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:

And I don't have to take all those dead on smashes like the goalies do.

G Reminds me of Lisa Simpson's goal minder exploits.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Canyonero.txt - 1K
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Canyonero.wav - 903K
Old July 21st 03, 10:19 PM
Tanya Quinn

Hi Dan,
Have you seen Camelbak's or similar lower priced clones? You carry the
water on your back and then drink from a tube. They are great for
biking so you don't have to actually grab a bottle although the
disadvantage of course is you have to carry the weight of the water on
your back. Perhaps you could adapt the hoses from one to fit a
container that will go in a water bottle holder.

Old July 23rd 03, 06:51 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:
It appears I may be able to get along with this bottle after all, if
that baking soda solution is OK. Also, I may have a workaround for

I missed this thread, but besides baking soda, hard liquor does the trick,
too -- I'd try tequila (or maybe some 190 proof grain alcohol, but that's
not as yummy). Just be sure to rinse it and replace it with water when you
ride...

Dan

--
Rick Onanian