Sealed crank bearings

Old May 22nd 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Sealed crank bearings

It was suggested that I go to a cartridge type of crank bearings when my "old school ones" wear out.

Does the new type last longer?

I was told it takes special tools for those?

Andy
Old May 23rd 19, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 22/05/2019 22:49, AK wrote:
It was suggested that I go to a cartridge type of crank bearings when
my "old school ones" wear out.

Does the new type last longer?

I was told it takes special tools for those?

Ime they will last a lot longer, maybe 50% more, and require less
maintenance as well. On the down side, when they do go, you replace the
unit, but since even a good one is ~15USD I wouldn't sweat that.

You'll need a bottom bracket removal tool, basically a splined socket,
5-10 USD.

You will need to measure the dimensions of the old one before ordering a
new one, it can look confusing but you need to know thread type, and widths.

See

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html

Imho, stick to the Shimano ones, cheap, last forever.
Old May 23rd 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/23/2019 1:15 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 22/05/2019 22:49, AK wrote:
It was suggested that I go to a cartridge type of crank bearings when
my "old school ones" wear out.

Does the new type last longer?

I was told it takes special tools for those?

Ime they will last a lot longer, maybe 50% more, and require less
maintenance as well.Â* On the down side, when they do go, you replace the
unit, but since even a good one is ~15USD I wouldn't sweat that.

You'll need a bottom bracket removal tool, basically a splined socket,
5-10 USD.

You will need to measure the dimensions of the old one before ordering a
new one, it can look confusing but you need to know thread type, and
widths.

See

Â*Â*Â*Â*https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html

Imho, stick to the Shimano ones, cheap, last forever.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 24th 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:15:11 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 22/05/2019 22:49, AK wrote:
It was suggested that I go to a cartridge type of crank bearings when
my "old school ones" wear out.

Does the new type last longer?

I was told it takes special tools for those?

Ime they will last a lot longer, maybe 50% more, and require less
maintenance as well. On the down side, when they do go, you replace the
unit, but since even a good one is ~15USD I wouldn't sweat that.

You'll need a bottom bracket removal tool, basically a splined socket,
5-10 USD.

You will need to measure the dimensions of the old one before ordering a
new one, it can look confusing but you need to know thread type, and widths.

See

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html

Imho, stick to the Shimano ones, cheap, last forever.

Thanks a lot.

Andy

Sealed Bearings [email protected] Techniques 154 June 17th 16 07:10 PM
Replacement sealed bearings... for Wellgo sealed axles.. (e.g. 24 Butterflies, Mags) Sponge Unicycling 13 November 4th 07 05:15 PM
Sealed wheel bearings FB Techniques 4 July 26th 07 02:49 AM
WTB: Mavic Axle and Sealed hub Bearings mike Marketplace 0 December 3rd 06 01:24 AM
How To Re-Grease Sealed Bearings? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 17 November 14th 06 02:14 AM