Down Hill bike race (Maine)

Old January 21st 05, 05:41 PM
KcTheAcy

Default Down Hill bike race (Maine)

I am going to try to enter this bike race at a ski mountain near me. Do
you think they will let unicyclist in the race? I was wondering if
anyone else wanted to come, then there would be a better chance of them
making a unicyclist category.

4th Annual Shawnee Peak/Sebago Outfitters Snow Mountain Bike Race
February 05, 2005

Bikers get down and dirty on the course at Shawnee Peak!
Whether you participate or spectate, this is one of the most exciting
events on the calendar! We build a course, complete with twists,
turns, banks and jumps and you get your bike down without biting the
big one! Oh, by the way, you are riding with three other bikers! It is
a boardercross with bikes!

Registration is 9am-11:30am. Practice runs start at noon. $20
Registration fee. Add $10 if you would like an all-day lift ticket.
TONS of Prizes courtesy of Jon Kibler at Sebago Outfitters
207/892-9228 or e-mail him at

Format: One practice run. Two qualifying runs. Single elimination
after qualifiers.

Their website:
http://www.shawneepeak.com
The info: http://www.shawneepeak.com/docs/Events/index.php (Feb 5th)

To get the http://www.shawneepeak.com/docs/Directions/
North Conway, NH 20 Minutes
Portland, ME 55 Minutes
Portsmouth, NH 1 Hour
Boston, MA 2 Hours
Providence, RI 4 Hours
Manchester, NH 2 Hours
Montreal, Que. 3.5 Hours
Hartford, CT 5 Hours
New York, NY 6 Hours

--
KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby

--Kaycee
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Kaycees-Unicycle-gallery
KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

Old January 21st 05, 07:02 PM
DK

I race downhill MTB and those corses are really really rough. You'll
probably definetly need a brake. I doubt thAT THEY WOULD HAVE A WHOLE
UNI CATEGORY, (i hate that stupid caps lock) but you could just compare
times with each other.

races are really fun, and dont get all upset if some guys say uni'ing is
dumb

--
DK - level 11 unicyclist

-Hunter-

'HCOR.net' (http://www.hcor.net)

"A unicycle rides like ~~~~ so you would be slinging your banana through
the air which might actually increase air resistance." -Klaas Bil

DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

Old January 21st 05, 07:33 PM
johnfoss

They might be reluctant to have a unicycle enter because you will be so
much slower than all the bikes. This may cause time problems in that
they cannot space you evenly among the bikers. You would have to go last
or something. Anything else and it might not be safe to have you out
there with the bikex zooming past.

I have not raced DH so I may be wrong though.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old January 21st 05, 07:50 PM
DK

they might let you ride during practice. Then you could have a friend at
the top w/ a radio. when you statred, he would radio it down to a friend
at the bottom and he could time you with a stopwatch.

Old January 21st 05, 11:09 PM
Fuego

My family is gonna enter the "Frozen spoke DH Bike race". We're lucky
though, we live in a small town, so it won't be all too official.

--
Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old January 22nd 05, 02:58 AM
KcTheAcy

How do you think I should go about signing up, what to I tell them, what
if they say I cant ride?

I do have a brake and protective pads.

The reason I posted the event was in hopes of getting at least 4 people
(the amount for 1 heat) to come. Any takers?

Old January 22nd 05, 09:24 AM
Klaas Bil

A downhill bike race doesn't sound like a good environment for a
unicycle. Uphill race could be fun though.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

Old January 24th 05, 12:04 PM
joemarshall

I think Des from Wales entered some downhill races. By all accounts he's
incredibly fast though. I guess he was last in the category each run.

For a 4-up race obviously you'd need 4 people.

Also it kind of depends on the jumps. If they're not rollable there's no
way they'll let you do it. I've seen a picture of a race course that had
a road gap in it, where you'd need to hit it really fast on a bike to
get to the transition.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old January 24th 05, 06:17 PM
merrill

If you survive the downhill, here's another event you might be
interested in

http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/index.cfm

I agree with John that the biggest concern will be bikes moving much
faster than you. Make sure you don't get creamed by a bike after you
UPD

If I did this I would not only make sure my brake is working well but
I'd be pretty interested in getting a serious studded tire.

Probably the easiest way to convince the sponsors would be to talk to
them and explain to them why this is a piece of cake. If that doesn't
work, offer to demonstrate Muni for them in person.

Do you ride in Scarboro? I'm up there every August?

Joe

--
merrill

merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

Old January 25th 05, 01:46 AM
KcTheAcy

merrill wrote:
*If you survive the downhill, here's another event you might be
interested in

I'd be pretty interested in getting a serious studded tire.

Do you ride in Scarboro? I'm up there every August?

Joe *

I looked into that, but it seems like a lot of money to pay just to
exhaust yourself. I have been to the Mt. and have heard of some people
try it on a uni.

I don't think I would need a studded tire on packed snow?

I live in Scarborough so naturally i ride quite often there. There are
some great trails in Portland and Biddeford also.

AIM me, email me, or MSN me (kctheacy(AT)maine.rr.com)