Recumbents: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull,overpriced

Old June 1st 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°

Default Recumbents: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull,overpriced

Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The wheels are universally small and the ride no doubt nasty.

That'll be experience speaking, will it? When you've actually tried the ride
on one, come back and tell us.

I've ridden 'bent bikes with 20"/27" and 16"/20" wheels. The big one
had a long floppy frame and gave a shaky but smooth ride. The small
one gave a treacherous and crappy ride that didn't get better despite
my days spent trying to make the best of it.

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since
Chalo is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the
manufacturers are not missing much of a market.

My experience with 20" wheeled trikes suggests that good quality 20 x
2.3" tires at modest pressures can ameliorate most of the ride quality
shortcomings of small wheels without exacting too large a penalty in
rolling resistance. Unfortunately, trikes suffer an intrinsically
bothersome ride that has nothing to do with wheel size. Trikes bump
you sideways at least as abruptly as they do vertically or fore-to-
aft, because the track width is usually much less than the wheelbase.
The higher the trike's seat, the more obtrusive is its sideways
thrashing.

A long wheelbase makes the trike too easy to flip. Rear suspension make
for a better ride than any bicycle in my experience. And that it with
53-406 Maxxis Hookworm tires inflated to more than 7-bar.

The lower you are on the trike, the faster you can go round corners. That's
an important feature of a high performance machine.

Low ride height helps cope with off-camber surfaces, too. Tilting
trikes can deal with both cornering forces and cambered surfaces
without having to sit unusually low-- but they are expensive,
complicated, heavy, and complex to operate.

Indeed, I have not ridden a tilting trike with satisfactory high-speed
handling.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 1st 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since
Chalo is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the
manufacturers are not missing much of a market.

To judge by the number of 'bent models available versus market share
taken by 'bents, they are missing essentially the whole thing.

Chalo
Old June 1st 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The wheels are universally small and the ride no doubt nasty.
That'll be experience speaking, will it? When you've actually tried the
ride
on one, come back and tell us.

I've ridden 'bent bikes with 20"/27" and 16"/20" wheels. The big one
had a long floppy frame and gave a shaky but smooth ride. The small
one gave a treacherous and crappy ride that didn't get better despite
my days spent trying to make the best of it.

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since Chalo
is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the manufacturers
are not missing much of a market.

What is Chalo, an 800 lb. gorilla?
[...]

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 1st 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°

Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The wheels are universally small and the ride no doubt nasty.
That'll be experience speaking, will it? When you've actually tried the
ride
on one, come back and tell us.
I've ridden 'bent bikes with 20"/27" and 16"/20" wheels. The big one
had a long floppy frame and gave a shaky but smooth ride. The small
one gave a treacherous and crappy ride that didn't get better despite
my days spent trying to make the best of it.

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since Chalo
is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the manufacturers
are not missing much of a market.

What is Chalo, an 800 lb. gorilla?
[...]

Chalo has listed his height at about 6'8" or so, and weight ranging from
about 320 to 370 pounds.

Old June 1st 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Edward Dolan wrote:

Tom Sherman

Chalo wrote:

I've ridden 'bent bikes with 20"/27" and 16"/20" wheels. *The big one
had a long floppy frame and gave a shaky but smooth ride. *The small
one gave a treacherous and crappy ride that didn't get better despite
my days spent trying to make the best of it.

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since Chalo
is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the manufacturers
are not missing much of a market.

What is Chalo, an 800 lb. gorilla?

Gorillas have short enough legs to ride BMX bikes, which works to
their advantage. I am forced to be more resourceful than that.

I rented a BikeE while I was vacationing in Seattle in early 2001.
The reason I rented it was because it was the only rental bike
available in Seattle that could be adjusted to fit me. For some
reason, Mr. Sherman thinks it was the wrong size for me despite the
BikeE thinking it was the right size.

I believe it was the right size, but wrong in a more fundamental way.
Hence my wife, who's a foot shorter than I am, had no better luck with
it than I did.

Chalo
Old June 1st 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°

Chalo Colina wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
Tom Sherman
Chalo wrote:
[...]

If you try to ride a recumbent like an upright it will indeed disagree
with you. I always tell new 'bent riders to hold the grips with just
their fingertips to prevent over-controlling the bicycle.

I found the BikeE a little difficult to ride as a 'bent newbie [1], but
then I am bad as picking up new skills that require overall body
coordination. With much more 'bent riding experience, I find the single
BikeE's very easy to ride.

[1] I had great difficulty learning to ride an upright as a child.

Old June 1st 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Chalo" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

Tom Sherman

Chalo wrote:

[...]

I hope you were not trying to ride that BikeE up those hills in downtown
Seattle. Hell Bells, I had trouble even walking up those hills. Much of
downtown Seattle seems to built on the side of a mountain.

Old June 1st 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Chalo wrote:
Clive George wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The wheels are universally small and the ride no doubt nasty.
That'll be experience speaking, will it? When you've actually tried
the ride
on one, come back and tell us.
I've ridden 'bent bikes with 20"/27" and 16"/20" wheels. The big one
had a long floppy frame and gave a shaky but smooth ride. The small
one gave a treacherous and crappy ride that didn't get better despite
my days spent trying to make the best of it.

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since
Chalo is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the
manufacturers are not missing much of a market.

What is Chalo, an 800 lb. gorilla?
[...]

Chalo has listed his height at about 6'8" or so, and weight ranging from
about 320 to 370 pounds.

Yes, I can see what the problem is. Almost all recumbents have a maximum
weight recommendation (many as low as 200 lbs.) and a height of 6'8" means
that you will not fit any recumbent except those few sized XL.

Old June 2nd 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 1, 2:08*am, Chalo wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since
Chalo is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the
manufacturers are not missing much of a market.

To judge by the number of 'bent models available versus market share
taken by 'bents, they are missing essentially the whole thing.

Chalo

Electra made a success of a less extreme version, in part because they
gave it the accepted appearance of a (n approximate, in some caes)
diamond frame.

Andre Jute
Charisma is the art of infuriating the undeserving by merely
existing elegantly

Old June 2nd 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 2:08 am, Chalo wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

There is no stock recumbent suitable for someone Chalo's size. Since
Chalo is in the 99.999th percentile in both height and weight, the
manufacturers are not missing much of a market.

To judge by the number of 'bent models available versus market share
taken by 'bents, they are missing essentially the whole thing.

Chalo

Electra made a success of a less extreme version, in part because they

gave it the accepted appearance of a (n approximate, in some caes)
diamond frame.

Just a couple of jackasses braying at one another! Someone needs to wrap a
diamond frame around Andre Jute's stupid head.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Recumbents: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull,overpriced Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 377 July 23rd 09 08:25 AM
Recumbents: extreme, unsuitable for purpose, dangerous, dull,overpriced Tom Sherman °_° Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 09 01:34 AM
If Finish Line Lube is so obviously grossly overpriced, why is it sold in every LBS? Jay[_2_] Techniques 41 February 1st 08 06:16 PM
dull Andre Racing 45 April 20th 07 03:20 PM
Can you identify this overpriced uni? wayne Unicycling 7 August 12th 04 03:13 AM