Women Racers Needed: Smethport, PA 53 Mile race 9/24/2005

Old September 13th 05, 05:45 AM

Default Women Racers Needed: Smethport, PA 53 Mile race 9/24/2005

WOMEN RACERS NEEDED:
Wheel Around the Hub 53 Mile Race
Smethport, PA 53 Mile race 9/24/2005

A) We have set up a very cool 53 mile circuit race with about $1500
cash
when including lap premiums divided equally M&F top five places.
Most people are opting for the 15 mile fun ride which does not offer a
purse.

B) We desparately need WOMEN competitors in the 53 mile race. Right
now we have NO ENTRIES in the women's category. Please pass the word
around with any contacts or friends that you might have to come to
Smethport and compete in our 53 mile race for the purse & gold watches.
It is really important that we have competitive entries so we can
solicit prize money in the future and make the race grow. We have an
identity problem because we are a new (well, at least not since the
1890s) race and we are from this little (cool) town.

C) race website:
http://www.smethporthistory.org follow link with the race logo

D) online registrations:
BikeReg.comhttp://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=2527
Active.com http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1231027
Cost of entry is $25 and includes a very cool t-shirt:

E) Anyway, please pass this message around to your friends and
contacts
and perhaps you can assist us in generating several serious entries
into our race.

Thanks so much,
Ross Porter
Smethport Lions
--
PLANET SMETHPORT
"Students & Community Making History Together"

Old September 13th 05, 04:11 PM

Dude, do what we did: Take the money that you would have given to the
women, and put it in the men's pot...and cancel the women's event.

You shouldn't have to beg them to participate.

Old September 13th 05, 05:35 PM
Tom

Exactly. This is unfortunate, as I'd like to see women's racing get
big, at least on the East coast, but it doesn't seem to be growing.
This past weekend, we had a women's race in Greensboro, NC. Payout
was 20 deep. 14 women started. I know, know for certain that there
are more than 14 women racers around the Southeast, as earlier this
year, we had a field of about 65 women racing in Greenville, SC. Oh
well...

Tom

Old September 14th 05, 12:58 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 13 Sep 2005 09:35:48 -0700, "Tom" wrote:

Exactly. This is unfortunate, as I'd like to see women's racing get
big, at least on the East coast, but it doesn't seem to be growing.
This past weekend, we had a women's race in Greensboro, NC. Payout
was 20 deep. 14 women started. I know, know for certain that there
are more than 14 women racers around the Southeast, as earlier this
year, we had a field of about 65 women racing in Greenville, SC. Oh

My club had over 50 women registered for two fields this past weekend.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 14th 05, 03:27 AM

Hi Again,

A) We are not begging for women racer. we are advertising. I know
that there are many quality women racers out there. We just want them
to find their way to Smethport, McKean County September 24.

We need male racers also. I know that there are more than 9 male
racers out there also willing to go the 53 mile course.

B) Most people are opting for the 15 mile fun ride which does not
offer a purse.

C) We have set up a very cool 53 mile circuit race with about $1500
cash
when including lap premiums divided equally M&F top five places.

D) No licenses are required. This is not an officially sanctioned
race. This is our first year (since the 1890s) following the old,
traditional race course. Olean Cycling Club members are assisting us
with race details, race software, digital finish photography, etc.

E) Race Course: Even though our region is hilly/mountainous (and
beautiful)race course is very flat with only extremely mild, Illinois
style terrain.

F) Road surface is not perfect but pretty good. Paved. We are
sweeping key corners and hay bailing, etc. We cross over Galico
Bridge which is very old but solid and somewhat cordurouy. There are
some 90 degrees turns on the course and on that is about 110.

G) We desparately need WOMEN competitors in the 53 mile race. Right
now we have ONE ENTRY in the women's category. Please pass the word
around with any contacts or friends that you might have to come to
Smethport and compete in our 53 mile race for the purse & gold watches.

H) It is really important that we have competitive entries so we can
solicit prize money in the future and make the race grow. We have an
identity problem because we are a new (well, at least not since the
1890s) race and we are from this little (cool) town.

I) race website:
http://www.smethporthistory.org follow link with the race logo

online registrations:
BikeReg.comhttp://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=2527
Active.com http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1231027
Cost of entry is $25 and includes a very cool t-shirt:

J) Anyway, please pass this message around to your friends and
contacts. We need more than 9 racers!

K) We just posted (today) a "where to stay" link on the Planet
Smethport site which will be helpful:
http://www.smethporthistory.org

Thanks so much,

Ross Porter
Wheel Around the Hub Race Chair
Smethport, PA

90 miles south of Buffalo; 100 miles East of Erie, 160 miles North of
Pittsburgh

Old September 15th 05, 09:54 PM

How many of them ride for century road club? Probably most of them.

Old September 15th 05, 10:15 PM
CoBikeRacer

If the race is not through USCF (or another cycling body) that might be
one reason no racers know about it... Most of the racers have a
license and only do licensed events.

Also, what insurance company are you going through for the race?
Medical and Liability?

Old September 15th 05, 10:43 PM
Bob Schwartz

CoBikeRacer wrote:
If the race is not through USCF (or another cycling body) that might be
one reason no racers know about it... Most of the racers have a
license and only do licensed events.

Eh?

Most racers could care less about the sanctioning organization.

If no one is entering it is because a lot of people are fried
by this time of the year or their spouse is getting really
hacked off by having bike racing be the focus of every damn
weekend or something like that. And the large majority of the
remainder are waiting until the morning of the race to decide
whether or not to go.

Bob Schwartz

ET Tu Antoni [email protected] Racing 1 September 25th 04 09:35 PM
Race Report: Eldora Escape 8/15/2004 Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 51 August 18th 04 12:19 AM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 09:03 PM
RR: Vermont 50 mile ride and run slartibartfast Mountain Biking 5 October 1st 03 02:05 AM
Promoter's Lament -- from Hamilton world's site Rik Van Diesel Racing 11 July 11th 03 08:44 PM