Brightest LED headlight?

Old February 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Brightest LED headlight?

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old February 10th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ed Light" wrote in news:18WGf.32278$jR.11188
@fed1read01:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

Try the DiNotte Ultralight or Blackburn X3.
Old February 10th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ed Light wrote in message
Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

If you are speaking of the el300- NO! Pat

Old February 10th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ken wrote:
"Ed Light" wrote in news:18WGf.32278$jR.11188
@fed1read01:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

Try the DiNotte Ultralight or Blackburn X3.

Going strictly by specs, the brightest single LED light is the DiNotte
since it's the only single Luxeon V light on the market that I'm aware of.

The Blackburn X3 is a single Luxeon III and likely has significantly
less output than the DiNotte. The Blackburn X6 has 2 Luxeon III though,
and may be a bit better since you have two lights to aim as needed.

But the champ would seem to be the Exposure Enduro Turbo, which has 2
Luxeon V LEDs in a single unit (Nashbar has them in the US). But then
it also costs more than nearly all of the HID lights currently on the
market. Still, it offers a compact, light single unit with more output
options than an HID (allowing for longer run times in all but the
highest output mode where the Enduro presumably consumes the same power
as a 10W HID while outputing less light) and likely higher durability
than an HID.

The 5-LED Cateye EL-300 isn't in the same league as these lights.

Having said that, the EL-300 is a good light as a backup or to
complement other lights.

My current commuting bike has an EL-300 to light up the area nearer the
front of the bike, and I use a modified Nuwai ALX-032L Luxeon III
flashlight as my primary light. I modified it to use external power (a
6V bike light battery I already have) rather than expensive CR123
batteries, and guestimate that it's comparable to a L&M Vega or
Blackburn X3 in output, but for much less money.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old February 10th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Oh, and you might check out this roundup:

http://gearreview.com/2006_led_lights.php

Old February 10th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Victor Kan wrote:

But the champ would seem to be the Exposure Enduro Turbo, which has 2
Luxeon V LEDs in a single unit (Nashbar has them in the US). But then
it also costs more than nearly all of the HID lights currently on the
market. Still, it offers a compact, light single unit with more output
options than an HID (allowing for longer run times in all but the
highest output mode where the Enduro presumably consumes the same power
as a 10W HID while outputing less light) and likely higher durability
than an HID.

It may not be higher durability. The 5W Luxeon LEDs run pretty hot, and
have a fairly short rating, depending on how good the thermal solution
is. I can't imagine spending $570 on a 10W light!
Old February 10th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ed Light wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

You may check out http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/inoled.asp
Sounds good.

--
Cyclo
Old February 10th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Cyclotique wrote:
Ed Light wrote:

Any ideas for a really bright LED headlight? Is the 5-led cateye the one?

You may check out http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/inoled.asp
Sounds good.

I have just ordered one of these, and am greatly anticipating its
arrival. This is a bike specific lamp with a Luxeon III running at 2
watts, but with correctly designed optics for a road/commuter
application. People who actually want side spill i.e. mountain bikers
would be dissappointed, but for my use this sounds like the bees' knees.
Old February 11th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks, folks.

I'm in the economy commuter league, so I will get the $40 Cateye 300. It
appears to be adequate when you look at the test images:

http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493

I presently have the 400, which is pretty dim, but makes a wonderful pocket
flashlight in case the power goes out at home and you need to read. It has a
wide, soft beam indoors. Comparing the test image for that to the 300, I'm
sure I'll be able to avoid hitting something on the way home.

This thread has shown me that there are some really great lights out there
for trail and competition riding.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/