Hand signals

Old December 8th 05, 10:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Hand signals

Hi all,

This past week I have seen several fellow riders using useful hand signals
with which I am not familiar (but would like to find out more about). In
one instance a small bunch coming off a bridge onto the main path I was on
all signalled one after the other, by motions of the hand which I can't
recall, that another bike (me) was coming past. Yesterday a rider in front
of me on the track looked as if he was shaking out his wrist but I quickly
realised he was pointing out the broken glass on the path for me. Very nice
fellow. Does anyone know of a list and descriptions of commonly used and
accepted hand signals for cyclists??

--
Bean "waving"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Old December 8th 05, 10:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Bean Long" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

This past week I have seen several fellow riders using useful hand signals
with which I am not familiar (but would like to find out more about). In
one instance a small bunch coming off a bridge onto the main path I was on
all signalled one after the other, by motions of the hand which I can't
recall, that another bike (me) was coming past. Yesterday a rider in
front
of me on the track looked as if he was shaking out his wrist but I quickly
realised he was pointing out the broken glass on the path for me. Very
nice
fellow. Does anyone know of a list and descriptions of commonly used and
accepted hand signals for cyclists??

http://tinyurl.com/bojrs (down the bottom)

cheers,
GPL

Old December 8th 05, 11:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle

I've got a few I use with motorists, but I don't think they're endorsed
anywhere.

When I indicate that I'm turning or veering off I actually point
directly where I'm going, as I've found that sometimes waving off to
the left or right doesn't convey exactly what I'm trying to do. Also
riding a bike you kinda need both your hands on the 'bars sometimes,
especally when changing directions so there may not be the luxury of
leaving that free hand out in the breeze for too long.

--
Marx SS

Old December 9th 05, 01:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:00:10 +1100, Bean Long wrote:

Does anyone know of a list and descriptions of commonly used and
accepted hand signals for cyclists??

Off the top of my head, here are the ones I've learned and use:

- Turning: Point left/right
- Straight ahead: Point up
- Bump or hole in road: point down at it
- Glass, gravel etc: shake hand over it
- Slowing/stopping: hold arm down, palm facing backwards
- Veering left/right to avoid obstacle: point with opposite arm behind back
- Go single file: as for veering left, but with flat, open hand, making
pushing movement
- Pulling off the front: point left/right briefly with arm tucked in
- Pass me: sweep open hand forward, arm tucked in

Near the front of a large group, it's a good idea to call out as well
(except for veering) because riders further back may not get the signal
in time.