Hand signals from car

Old October 13th 15, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

Default Hand signals from car

I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?
Old October 13th 15, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

Old October 13th 15, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:32:16 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

Apparently that means slow down. I used it once to tell someone to dip his lights, which didn't work. My friend (while I was a passenger) saw it once, and we were both trying to work out if he was telling us our boot was left open. My neighbour (when I was behind her) once used it to me, and I thought she was sarcastically telling me I was driving too fast (as she is a terribly slow driver and I'm not), but she later said she was doing a royal wave!

--
"I wonder who discovered we could get milk from cows and what the **** did he think he was doing?!" -- Billy Connolly
Old October 13th 15, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:32:16 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

When someone tells me to slow down, I always speed up. Why should I listen to a random stranger?

--
Found in a fortune cookie:
"You are a poor, pathetic, gullible fool who seeks advice from bakery products."
Old October 13th 15, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 13/10/2015 16:32, Alycidon wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

Back in the sixties the test included all of the hand signals.
If I remember correctly, you were told to use hand signals only
for about 15 mins.
Old October 13th 15, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:49:04 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 13/10/2015 16:32, Alycidon wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution, but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

Back in the sixties the test included all of the hand signals.

Presumably less cars had indicators then. When I was in primary school 33 years ago, one of the teachers had an old Austin with electric sticky out signals!

If I remember correctly, you were told to use hand signals only
for about 15 mins.

Why would you indicate for 15 minutes?

--
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase...the human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -- Frank Herbert (Dune)
Old October 13th 15, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 13/10/2015 16:44, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:32:16 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:18:37 UTC+1, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I observed a learner driver being shown hand signals. The instructor
stuck his hand through the window and rotated it, then rotated it the
other way. I vaguely remember some kind of indicator substitution,
but I wasn't taught it in my lessons in 1997, and I doubt many
drivers would know what it meant. At least one of them looked like
he was beckoning to the car behind to pull round him.

I've used the bottom one quite a few times.

https://create-cdn.net/siteimages/11...60/5302807.jpg

When someone tells me to slow down, I always speed up. Why should I
listen to a random stranger?

Because he might have seen a pedestrian/ animal etc walking in the road
that you might not be able to see. Speeding up after a driver has given
that signal can only mean that you are a stupid driver and a liability.

Old October 13th 15, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:53:17 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

When people use that signal, it almost always means they don't like you speeding. If they're warning you of a speed trap, they make a gun shape with their hand, or flash their lights several times rapidly.

--
You can't please everyone. But it IS possible to **** 'em ALL off at the same time.
Old October 13th 15, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tough Guy no. 1265

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:54:27 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

I was unable to interpret "you were told to use hand signals only for about 15 mins" any other way.

--
"Hi, It's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is 'Share the love.'" BEEP.
"Um, yeah, hello? This is the VD clinic calling. Your test results are back and you're positive. Stop sharing the love."

Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Will they ever make a bicycle with both left hand and right hand drives? [email protected] Techniques 34 August 18th 12 08:45 PM
Televised fight: Mossad trained hand-to-hand fighter with Jake McCrann War Office Australia 0 July 25th 07 09:08 PM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 01:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM