knee problem- links?

Old February 25th 04, 03:16 AM
Richard Stanz

Default knee problem- links?

Dan Daniel wrote in message . ..
I am looking for web sites that discuss knee problems for bicyclists
and some of the adjustments that can be made in seat position and
height. Anything on the general physiology/forces would also be
helpful.

I have a recurring knee pain, localized lower inside knee cap. Doctors
have told me that it is basic degeneration (arthritis?). It seems to
come and go, but is definitely aggravated by certain positions. I am
about to start a series of position changes to study what is at work
and what makes things better. Rather than just start randomly moving
things around, I'd like a good orientation to the basic issues.

Thanks.

try http://www.roadcycling.com/training/kneepain.shtml

good luck,
Richard Stanz
Old February 25th 04, 02:09 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:36:25 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

My goal is to be the first 80 year old to do the BMB, heck, I've
got more than 25 years to train.

What's the oldest rider? That's not an easy course - we're talking 15degree
grade and some 10degree, right?

There was a British guy who did it in his 70's, I don't think he's still doing
it, but I could be wrong. I have a friend who did it in his 60's, but decided
to stop as it "took too much out of him". This same guy was famous locally for
completing a BMB in his late 50's then driving to work & putting in a full
shift!

Would you say that's comparable to the Iron Man, or harder? (I'm talking
relative effort to the whole course, not just the 112mi bike in windy,
hot-box conditions)

That's a difficult comparison. I think the 1200K ultra-cycling events are
tougher from an endurance point of view, simply because they last much longer.
The premier long-distance cyclists commonly ride continuously hard for 48
hours or so, with barely any rest breaks. The epitome of this is the RAAM
competitors who ride for a week or more. Even the back-of-the-pack finishers
who beat the 90 hr cutoff on a 1200K can spend ~70 hr of saddle time.

Even among enthusiastic cyclists, these endurance events are sometimes
considered crazy. I think the effort of pushing yourself way beyond your
preconceived limits is a very rich experience. It's definitely a roller
coaster ride of highs and lows. If there's a brevet series in your area, and
you have any interest, I'd encourage you to give it a go.

Old February 25th 04, 02:34 PM
Peter Cole

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:36:25 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:
Thanks. I guess I am pretty lucky health-wise. I'm 6'10", 235 lb (not a

typo).
I belong to a large road club ( www.crw.org) in the Boston area

Well, at that size, you certainly couldn't belong to a "small" road
club. G

I guess I left myself open for that one...

Old February 25th 04, 03:46 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:09:41 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I remember some coverage of the RAAM, and some of the bikers were
actively hallucinating and soforth, at times. I think you have to have a
good support van to do this, although, no doubt some have done without.

I also like the Eco-Challenge Adventure racing:

http://www.exn.ca/eco/full_team.asp

....but only as a spectator... ;-)

Even among enthusiastic cyclists, these endurance events are sometimes
considered crazy. I think the effort of pushing yourself way beyond your
preconceived limits is a very rich experience. It's definitely a roller
coaster ride of highs and lows. If there's a brevet series in your area, and
you have any interest, I'd encourage you to give it a go.

I'm still at a very low level of riding ability, but I ride every day and
push myself. Who knows what another couple years of this will do. I've done
a minor streak since August, with only a few days missed due to snow, which
I've tried to keep alive using the sta. bike, but that's cheating... I'm at
138 continuous days (so to speak) since last Fall.

I'll do things to push beyond, like 'stranding' myself a little further out
of town than I know I can do, having the wife drop me off and then I have
to make it home...I've done that jogging a few times, but not on the bike
lately.

-B

Old February 25th 04, 05:57 PM
Ningi

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
snip problem description

First, try something really simple and free. Assuming you're using clipless
pedals, move your cleats *back* (towards the rear of the shoe). This
reduces the leverage that can be exerted on your tendons & ligaments and can
sometimes yield miraculous results. Absolutely nothing to lose for trying,
and it's worked for a lot of our customers (as well as myself, many years
ago).

Mike,

I tried this today as my knees generally get a bit sore when cycling.
As I had my cleats set up 'professionally' when I bought them a year ago
I had put it down to 'just the way things are'.

Anyway, it has made a VERY significant difference!

So, thanks for one of the best bits of advice I've ever had off the
internet.

Cheers!

Pete

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 25th 04, 06:36 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote

Yes, I remember some coverage of the RAAM, and some of the bikers were
actively hallucinating and soforth, at times. I think you have to have a
good support van to do this, although, no doubt some have done without.

We have a RAAM racer in our club too. There are various divisions (single,
tandem, mixed-tandem, 4-(wo)man team, etc.), but I think all rely on a van
following behind to support & light the way at night.

I also like the Eco-Challenge Adventure racing:

http://www.exn.ca/eco/full_team.asp

...but only as a spectator... ;-)

Yeah, they're fun to watch, but I've kind of lost my taste for spectator
sports (except the TdF, of course).

I'm still at a very low level of riding ability, but I ride every day and
push myself. Who knows what another couple years of this will do. I've done
a minor streak since August, with only a few days missed due to snow, which
I've tried to keep alive using the sta. bike, but that's cheating... I'm at
138 continuous days (so to speak) since last Fall.

I'll do things to push beyond, like 'stranding' myself a little further out
of town than I know I can do, having the wife drop me off and then I have
to make it home...I've done that jogging a few times, but not on the bike
lately.

I started out that way myself, going out solo on longer and longer loops, I
would push the turn around point further out the stronger I felt. I did my
first century that way, solo & pretty much unintentional. These days, I do
most long distance riding with groups, although I frequently do long stretches
of it alone. As much as I like the company, there are very few butts I want to
look at all day long.

Around here (Boston) we're lucky enough to have enough long organized rides
that you can pretty much do one every week during the season. We also have the
brevet series, the Pan Mass Challenge and the BMB, all of which draw cyclists
from out of state.

Old February 25th 04, 06:53 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:36:31 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

I started out that way myself, going out solo on longer and longer loops, I
would push the turn around point further out the stronger I felt. I did my
first century that way, solo & pretty much unintentional.

Sure. Some days I feel strong and that's when I'd want to 'catch the wave',
but in clarification, you only know if you're 'strong' after you are out on
the ride, IME, so that's a great strategy.

What I'd like to try is some long distances on the flat. My brother lives
in Va Beach and there's a loop there that I might ride, but the traffic is
so bad down there that, gee, I'm not sure about it these days.

Thanks for the tips, Peter.

-B

Old February 25th 04, 08:11 PM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:

I started out that way myself, going out solo on longer and longer loops, I
would push the turn around point further out the stronger I felt. I did my
first century that way, solo & pretty much unintentional.

Sure. Some days I feel strong and that's when I'd want to 'catch the wave',
but in clarification, you only know if you're 'strong' after you are out on
the ride, IME, so that's a great strategy.

What I'd like to try is some long distances on the flat. My brother lives
in Va Beach and there's a loop there that I might ride, but the traffic is
so bad down there that, gee, I'm not sure about it these days.

That, and Va Beach is full of kite flyers. we know what *they're*
like in traffic.

-Luigi

Thanks for the tips, Peter.

-B

Old February 25th 04, 08:17 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:11:49 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

What I'd like to try is some long distances on the flat. My brother lives
in Va Beach and there's a loop there that I might ride, but the traffic is
so bad down there that, gee, I'm not sure about it these days.

That, and Va Beach is full of kite flyers. we know what *they're*
like in traffic.

-Luigi

Nothing makes me as nervous as riding behind a long line of fisherman
casting over the side of a bridge. Since I have a couple of memories
of removing fish hooks from thumbs from my childhood, it doesn't take
much imagination to make me drift further and further to the left.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 25th 04, 11:41 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

First, try something really simple and free. Assuming you're using
clipless
pedals, move your cleats *back* (towards the rear of the shoe). This
reduces the leverage that can be exerted on your tendons & ligaments and

can
sometimes yield miraculous results. Absolutely nothing to lose for

trying,
and it's worked for a lot of our customers (as well as myself, many

years
ago).

Mike,

I tried this today as my knees generally get a bit sore when cycling.
As I had my cleats set up 'professionally' when I bought them a year ago
I had put it down to 'just the way things are'.

Anyway, it has made a VERY significant difference!

It's amazing how many people have been helped simply by moving their cleats
towards the back of the shoe, and yet you find virtually no mention of it
anywhere. Glad it worked for you. It not for the trouble I had in Colorado
Springs back in 1986, I wouldn't have figured it out.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Knee to pedal plumb line MJ General 7 November 18th 03 09:18 PM
Contact lens problem Alfred Ryder General 9 November 14th 03 04:45 PM
Lateral Knee Pain Pat General 7 September 23rd 03 12:52 AM
Safety equipment..Knee pads S. Anderson General 15 August 19th 03 04:41 PM
Sore knee since century Marlene Blanshay General 1 July 11th 03 10:29 AM