climbing off road ...

Old September 10th 03, 02:48 PM
elyob

Default climbing off road ...

So, what type of cyclist are you? Do you stay in your seat or do you get up
and stomp on the pedals?

The reason I ask, is that I'm desperately trying to beat 50 minutes for my
12 1/4 mile on/off road route. I managed 51m11s yesterday, having dropped
from 1h07m when I started a little while back. There's a couple of hills
where I normally stay seated, but I'm trying getting out of the seat, but am
finding it's a different muscle group and the switch back to seated needs to
be timed well.

The one thing that really does speed me up, is seeing someone ahead of me,
and trying to catch them up and beat them. It took me 2 miles to catch this
bike yesterday, but it was on the hill that I made most of my catch up. I
also recovered quicker at the top, and took off past him. I'm just too
competetive

Hey, hey, hey, looks like I'm getting fit again Now to lose some weight.
I sweat like a horse during my cycle, but don't see to lose any weight
whatsoever .. I presume this is because muscle is heavier than fat?

Nick

Old September 10th 03, 03:13 PM
Lee

"elyob" wrote in message

Hey, hey, hey, looks like I'm getting fit again Now to lose some

weight.
I sweat like a horse during my cycle, but don't see to lose any weight
whatsoever .. I presume this is because muscle is heavier than fat?

Nick

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

Lee

Old September 10th 03, 03:50 PM
Bob

Lee muttered:

[snipped...]

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

Try eating less... ;-)

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Old September 10th 03, 04:04 PM
Arthur Clune

elyob wrote:
: So, what type of cyclist are you? Do you stay in your seat or do you get up
: and stomp on the pedals?

Ah, off road, tricky.

If it's a loose surface you have to stay seated for the traction.
Soft suspension (esp full-sus) can also make staying seated and keeping
the power down the way to go.

Otherwise it can often be quicker (but harder work) to attack a
short hill stood up and stomping the pedals. Keep the bike moving
over the crest of the hill so that you keep your speed and then
recover once you are up to speed again.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
"Techolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
Old September 10th 03, 04:05 PM
Lee

"Bob" wrote in message
Lee muttered:

[snipped...]

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

Try eating less... ;-)

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com

http://www.bobarnott.com/

"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
-- Wernher von

Braun

Damn, really? Guess ill stick to being fat ;-)

shouldnt the advise be - eat more sensibly rather than eat less?

Old September 10th 03, 04:36 PM
Lee

"Bob" wrote in message

Snip!

become a hippy...

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com

http://www.bobarnott.com/

"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
-- Wernher von

Braun

Yeah man... cool

Old September 10th 03, 04:40 PM
Tony W

"Lee" gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverym uch.btinternet.com
wrote in message ...

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

If you are cycling regularly you will be burning more calories -- the
trouble is your body is probably demanding a few more to compensate.

The good news is that improved fitness does not depend on shedding every
last pound of fat -- and, yes, muscle is heavier -- so you can lose inches
without losing much weight.

Keep cycling and eat sensibly and, slowly, you will shed the weight. Its a
long term project though -- not a six week crash course.

Old September 10th 03, 04:58 PM
Lee

wrote in message ...

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

If you are cycling regularly you will be burning more calories -- the
trouble is your body is probably demanding a few more to compensate.

The good news is that improved fitness does not depend on shedding every
last pound of fat -- and, yes, muscle is heavier -- so you can lose inches
without losing much weight.

Keep cycling and eat sensibly and, slowly, you will shed the weight. Its

long term project though -- not a six week crash course.

True, I think I am expecting too much too soon.

Does the sweating cease after a bit? ive noticed that I sweat less on a warm
day when i walk to the shops & back.

Old September 10th 03, 05:01 PM
elyob

wrote in message ...

Im desperately trying to lose weight too - i sweat like a pee eye gee.

I havent lost any weight at the moment and its frustrating!

If you are cycling regularly you will be burning more calories -- the
trouble is your body is probably demanding a few more to compensate.

The good news is that improved fitness does not depend on shedding every
last pound of fat -- and, yes, muscle is heavier -- so you can lose inches
without losing much weight.

Keep cycling and eat sensibly and, slowly, you will shed the weight. Its

long term project though -- not a six week crash course.

Yup, I've noticed, and so have others, that I'm looking leaner, and I'm down
to last hole on my belt.. My weight hasn't changed though, so muscle is the
only answer at the moment. I don't have a huge appetite, and if anything,
hasn't changed since doing an hour a day (well, 51m 11s ).

Old September 10th 03, 05:08 PM
elyob

wrote in message ...

True, I think I am expecting too much too soon.

Does the sweating cease after a bit? ive noticed that I sweat less on a

warm
day when i walk to the shops & back.

I pretty much always break into a sweat once I stop. It's only on a decent
cycle that I break into a sweat whilst moving. I've been measuring my heart
rate, and within 100-200m or so it's aleady up to 140, then settles at about
150-160. Maximum being around 190 ... The only answer is to slow down to
keep the body cool. You'll need to coast at the end, to help bring down your
body temperature for the dismount. Although, I am guessing, I never ride
slow.

Spring ride in the Sierra [email protected] Rides 0 May 27th 04 02:59 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM