Taking a recumbent trike tandem on the Trans-Pennine Trail?

Old September 11th 03, 10:41 AM
Clive George

Default Taking a recumbent trike tandem on the Trans-Pennine Trail?

"Richard Corfield" wrote in message
ale.dyndns.org...
In article , Ian wrote:

Would the jockey arm off a rear derailleur, either without the
pantograph or with a fixed pantograph, do the job?

At some stage I seem to have missed which Trike was used, Greenspeed
perhaps?

Yes it was Greenspeed, and I imagine the jockey arm idea could work
well. I wonder if you'd route the chain over both wheels, or just use
one, or if there is a simple solution. I wonder how much effect chain
wear has on it.

How would a jockey arm work when the front rider wants to stop pedalling?
With a taut chain, the rear rider gets immediate feedback, but if there was
slack held by a spring, the rear rider could pedal until the slack was
transferred to the other side of the chain. (would it fall off then?)

I've seen some tandems use something like this, but I just wondered how well
it works.

cheers,
clive

Old September 11th 03, 09:29 PM
Tim Hall

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:41:16 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Richard Corfield" wrote in message
dale.dyndns.org...
In article , Ian wrote:

Would the jockey arm off a rear derailleur, either without the
pantograph or with a fixed pantograph, do the job?
At some stage I seem to have missed which Trike was used, Greenspeed
perhaps?

Yes it was Greenspeed, and I imagine the jockey arm idea could work
well. I wonder if you'd route the chain over both wheels, or just use
one, or if there is a simple solution. I wonder how much effect chain
wear has on it.

How would a jockey arm work when the front rider wants to stop pedalling?
With a taut chain, the rear rider gets immediate feedback, but if there was
slack held by a spring, the rear rider could pedal until the slack was
transferred to the other side of the chain. (would it fall off then?)

Secret weapon: Freewheel on the front chain set. The stoker (who rides
the front) can stop pedalling while the mug of a pilot (c'est moi) has
to keep going. Skilled stokers (yes that's my son) keep the pedals
turning just enough to stop the freewheel tick and no more.

See http://www.wilde-hobbs.freeserve.co.uk/pictures/p001015.jpg for
a photo.

I've seen some tandems use something like this, but I just wondered how well
it works.

I haven't seen it on "normal" tandems though.

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream