The 64K Q: What's the differences between 'bents?

Old March 26th 05, 11:36 PM
Mooch

Default The 64K Q: What's the differences between 'bents?

Hiya,

I know it seems like a really broad question. but what I mean is:

If I were to buy an EZ-1 or the EZ Lite, why can't I ride that for 8
blocks, 200 miles, or 2000 miles?

It seems to me, that I could "cover all my bets"with the EZ-1 and save
money in the process.

I absolutely don't get it. The fitness of the operator is the same,and
the bike (supposedly) would be in good condition.

I'm looking at the EZ-1 and the Sport EZ with the SRAM 5.0 components.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for helping me out.

Mooch

Old March 27th 05, 12:23 AM

Mooch wrote:
Hiya,

I know it seems like a really broad question. but what I mean is:

If I were to buy an EZ-1 or the EZ Lite, why can't I ride that for 8
blocks, 200 miles, or 2000 miles?

I've talked to people who rode Bikee's across the U.S., so it can be
done...

That said, different requirements result in different designs. A CLWB
bike (like a Bikee or EZ-1) is designed for short trips, in town, where
more manuverability is desired. The smaller, fatter tires accelerate
more quickly, making stop-n-go more tolerable.

On the open road, a longer wheelbase, more stable geometry, and larger
wheels allows the bike to cruise all day at a steady pace with less
rider input. In other words, a Tour Easy will be less tiring to ride
the same distance than an EZ-1. Also, lower, more laid-back bikes have
less air drag, so you gain another notch there.

I've got 2 recumbents and 4 uprights in my garage. Each one has a task-
but I could ride any of them anywhere (although riding the fixie on
singletrack would be hair-raising).

Jeff

Old March 27th 05, 03:04 AM
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

Mooch wrote:

[...]

While Jeff Wills' description of the EZ-1 and BikeE is a proper
assessment, he unfairly impugns the ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheelset. It
is perfectly possible to make a fast, stable bicycle using these wheel
sizes that will be an excellent platform for long distance riding. Heck,
there are 40 to 50 bicycles [1] that meet this description.

[1] Please note that this is 40 to 50 individual bicycles, not 40 to 50
models.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 27th 05, 03:39 AM

Tom Sherman wrote:
While Jeff Wills' description of the EZ-1 and BikeE is a proper
assessment, he unfairly impugns the ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheelset.

It
is perfectly possible to make a fast, stable bicycle using these

wheel
sizes that will be an excellent platform for long distance riding.

Heck,
there are 40 to 50 bicycles [1] that meet this description.

[1] Please note that this is 40 to 50 individual bicycles, not 40 to

50
models.

Nag, nag, nag:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/nogami...et/sunset.html
GO OUT AND RIDE A rans. :-)

Jeff

Old March 27th 05, 03:52 AM
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

Nag, nag, nag:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/nogami...et/sunset.html
GO OUT AND RIDE A rans. :-)

Hey, I rode Sunset No. 14 (when Ed Gin owned it). Nice bike except for
the Rabidfire (sic) shifters - I greatly prefer the SRAM twistshifters
on my Sunset.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 27th 05, 03:58 AM
Tom Sherman

Mooch wrote:

Hiya,

I know it seems like a really broad question. but what I mean is:

If I were to buy an EZ-1 or the EZ Lite, why can't I ride that for 8
blocks, 200 miles, or 2000 miles?

It seems to me, that I could "cover all my bets"with the EZ-1 and save
money in the process.

I absolutely don't get it. The fitness of the operator is the same,and
the bike (supposedly) would be in good condition.

I'm looking at the EZ-1 and the Sport EZ with the SRAM 5.0 components.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for helping me out.

The EZ-1 is a good value for the money, and a fun bike to ride. However,
the upright seating position creates a lot of aerodynamic drag compared
to a more reclined seating position, and will not be as comfortable for
some people on longer rides. On the positive side, the EZ-1 is easier to
start and stop and has better balance on poor surfaces than most higher
performance bikes. Think of it as the recumbent equivalent of an upright
hybrid or city bike.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 27th 05, 04:47 AM
L. Thomason

On longer rides even the smallest inefficiencies or design problems
will be magnified 1000x. A bikeE, however, is a great platform to hang
a lot of gear from for self-contained touring on the cheap.

I've seen EZ-1's, lightly used, for $300 on Ebay. My brother has one,
and in some ways I prefer it to my BikeE

Old March 27th 05, 10:05 PM

Last Feburary, on a touring bicycle, I had pain for two days from an 18
mile ride. So, I bought an EZ-1SC in March 2004 and by June I had done
3 rides over 60 miles, took it to Anaheim CA on vacation. I was
wanting to get the the Griffith observatory, it was 33 miles by
interstate, the bus was going to be 2 county, 4 buses, 50 miles, 5
hours. So I got up at 530 and got there about noon, 45 miles. Then I
saw La Brea Ta Pits was close so I rode there. Then I saw Santa Monica
Peir was close and rode there. Had supper and rode the beach trails
south, around Marina Del Ray, back on the trails to Rolling Hills where
the trail ended, up onto the road and back east to Anaheim about 2 am,
125 miles.

Old March 28th 05, 03:06 AM
DougC

Mooch wrote:
Hiya,

I know it seems like a really broad question. but what I mean is:

If I were to buy an EZ-1 or the EZ Lite, why can't I ride that for 8
blocks, 200 miles, or 2000 miles?

It seems to me, that I could "cover all my bets"with the EZ-1 and save
money in the process.

I absolutely don't get it. The fitness of the operator is the same,and
the bike (supposedly) would be in good condition.

I'm looking at the EZ-1 and the Sport EZ with the SRAM 5.0 components.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for helping me out.

Mooch

You can ride most any bent 2000 miles. For that matter, you can ride a
kid's BMX bike 2000 miles (allowing for some bearing changes enroute,
possibly) but the difference is in the way that different bikes handle.
The steering of SWB's is rather twitchy, where LWB's are very stable.
CLWB's are in the middle somewhere. Also--some bikes it's easy to put
racks on, others it's not. But what is true--typically, ANY recumbent
will be far more comfortable than any upright bike.
~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 28th 05, 04:18 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:06:16 -0600, DougC
wrote in message :

The steering of SWB's is rather twitchy, where LWB's are very stable.

Well, maybe. Actually I only notice this alleged twitchiness when
climbing hard, the rest of the time by SWB semi-low bike is admirably
stable, especially at speed. LWB bikes make great relaxed tourers,
though.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Faired 'bents in New Scientist Paul Rudin UK 21 December 9th 04 10:36 PM
'Bents @ kids... Walt Schmittinger Recumbent Biking 0 August 20th 04 02:05 PM
bents 4 sale wheel dr Recumbent Biking 0 August 8th 04 12:06 PM
New ban on 'bents in USCF races! Why no noise? Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 21 June 22nd 04 01:39 PM
Hip Replacement & Bents? Ben Recumbent Biking 6 August 9th 03 08:23 PM