"Cyclists need good manners"

Old March 1st 07, 11:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_19_]

Default "Cyclists need good manners"

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

Well yes. As was evinced by DB's reaction to the original letter.

No. As evident by comments such as yours that continally jump to
conclusions and get bogged down into all manner of trivial
nothingness.

DB, would you be interested in a honorary membership of the Southern
Order of Stroppy Bints instead? Guaranteed more fun than GOMOB's and we
drink the beer on Fridays.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 2nd 07, 07:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Pedestrians can legally cross the road anywhere they want, except within
20 metres of a crosswalk or intersection.

Legally, yes. But my concern is more about the wisdom of actions with an
admittedly slow old dog.

And don't forget about the other legal aspects for pedestrians, at least in
Victoria:
http://tinyurl.com/y6m5u4 especially rule 230 and 236

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 2nd 07, 07:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:00:08 +1100
Peter Signorini wrote:

And I think I clarified that I make no such assumptions, and in fact
don't
regard either as in need of anger management.

TO me it looks very much like you have, and you have said so in the
other post.

Really not sure what you are referring to here!! I would love to see the
'other post' where I have stated, or assumed that either of these people
needed anger management. I think you may be mixing up the posts.

If you say that you make no assumption about her being
legit or not, then I'll believe you.

Indeed, I certainly cannot make any assumption about the nature of, or the
legitimacy of, the crossing. Can only go by the letter. But the lady did
seem to infer that the rider was riding with intention to proceed - not so
likely if he was riding up to a red light.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old March 2nd 07, 02:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
dave

Euan wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

I dunno. You assume the woman was not crossing legitimately, and that
the "yelled at us to hurry up" was a call of warning, not an angry
yell.

Try as I might I can't seem to get much anger into a yell of "hurry up!"

Remind me to demonstrate next time our paths cross. Heck, I can express
anger in saying ``Yes Sir,'' a trait most NCOs develop.

That would be "Yes Cur"
Old March 2nd 07, 07:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 2, 9:14 am, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2ms...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

Well yes. As was evinced by DB's reaction to the original letter.

No. As evident by comments such as yours that continally jump to
conclusions and get bogged down into all manner of trivial
nothingness.

DB, would you be interested in a honorary membership of the Southern
Order of Stroppy Bints instead? Guaranteed more fun than GOMOB's and we
drink the beer on Fridays.

--
cfsmtb

Maybe time for the GOMOBs and the SOSBs to have a fun-down.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Euan

Peter Signorini wrote:

But IF I did want to cros a (perhaps) busy road near a popular beach, and IF
I was walking my elderly dog (which I do not have) I would think it wise to
take the slow moving dog to cross at a signalled crossing, for its own sake.

I have trouble with the idea that traffic; be it bicycle, car, truck
etc; should expect a crossing speed of a pedestrian greater than the
pedestrian is capable of. That is no different to motorists getting
narky with fully loaded touring cyclists toiling uphill at less than 15km/h.

The road rules clearly state that pedestrians must take the shortest
route to cross a road and that they should do so expediently. It's not
for any individual to demand a minimum speed at which said crossing
occurs and whilst the pedestrian's crossing, priority rests with the
pedestrian. A little bit of forbearance and tolerance goes a long way.
--
Cheers
Euan