Brake cable routing on Cinelli Angel Time Trial Handlebar?

Old October 11th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Brake cable routing on Cinelli Angel Time Trial Handlebar?

I have a Cinelli Angel time-trial handlebar like this one but in black and with the pads. I put in on a single speed I just built but am at a loss as to where the brake cable housing goes. I've temporarily taped the housing to the underside of the handlebar.

Where were the brake housings originally placed on this handlebar? Is there a way to route them inside the handlebar?

My brake levers are mounted in the ends of the outboard bars not on the adjustable bars.

Here's a link to an image of the same bar but in silver finish.

https://www.facebook.com/thenewengla...4034664731029/

Cheers
Old October 11th 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

You normally mount the shifters on the outside bar ends and you mount brake lever such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur... lp%3A2334524 on the middle bars. TT's outside of professional races are normally run on flat ground and you would shift up to high gear, get in your aero bars, and only use the brakes for emergencies. Climbing TT's would be run with light weight climbing bikes that thos bars most definitely would not be proper for.
Old October 11th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 17:52:44 UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Since it's a single speed there aren't any shifters on the ends of the handlebar or on the bike.

Those brake levers are similar to the ones I have BUT... Where do the cable housings go?

Cheers

Old October 11th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

The inners and outers enter the middle of the part that locks into the bar. Here's a TRP lever in this it is plainer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRP-RL970-T...100005.m185 1
Old October 11th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/11/2020 4:24 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I have a Cinelli Angel time-trial handlebar like this one but in black and with the pads. I put in on a single speed I just built but am at a loss as to where the brake cable housing goes. I've temporarily taped the housing to the underside of the handlebar.

Where were the brake housings originally placed on this handlebar? Is there a way to route them inside the handlebar?

My brake levers are mounted in the ends of the outboard bars not on the adjustable bars.

Here's a link to an image of the same bar but in silver finish.

https://www.facebook.com/thenewengla...4034664731029/

Cheers

Your link gives me a login screen. I don't know that there
are any conventions or rules for the ridiculous range of
inadequate TT equipment. Photos are probably not helpful to
you but I found this interesting :

https://pezcyclingnews.com/features/...inst-tt-bikes/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 12th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 18:53:44 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I'm using Firefox and when the log in thing pops up I just click on the "Not Now" at the bottom of that screen.

Or, do you think it'd be okay to drill a hole near the end of the handlebar and insert the cable housing into that to run the cable internally in the handlebar?

Thanks and cheers
Old October 12th 20, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/11/2020 6:49 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

You could, indeed, drill a nice little stress riser in the
most vulnerable part of a thin aluminum handlebar. I've seen
a lot of those over the years with very few failures. Then
again 'few' is not 'zero' and the results of failure are
ugly. Your call.

Old October 12th 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/11/2020 7:49 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In general, drilling a hole in an aluminum handlebar is a very bad idea.
A typical stress concentration factor is, oh, maybe 2.5 to 3.0. That
means the stress around the hole is about three times what it would be
without it. That's just too much.

That doesn't mean failure will happen immediately; it would be by
fatigue. The stress is high only in a tiny area around the hole, so the
bar will not be noticeably weaker. But with repeated flexing, that tiny
area that's highly stressed is very likely to develop a hairline crack.
The crack is sharp as a razor at its tip and has a much higher stress
concentration factor than the hole. The crack will progress with further
flexing and the bar will probably come apart some day when you put a lot
of force on it.

One friend of mine, a bike mechanic, had exactly that happen to him with
his time trial bike. He kept the broken bar on display in the shop as a
warning to customers.

You could theoretically mitigate the stress concentration by adding
reinforcement. That's why a Rivnut is safe, or a brazed on reinforcing
boss on a steel frame. But I don't know of a way to do that with an
aluminum handlebar.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 12th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 20:11:36 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The hole would be near the end of the handlebar where the brake lever is located NOT in the middle of the handlebar or near the stem.

Thanks again and cheers
Old October 12th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 20:35:44 UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I created an album on Flickr. Here is the link to the handlebar I'm asking about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57716376903386

Cheers