Frame Sizes - Trad v Compact

Old August 9th 05, 07:44 PM
Paul

Default Frame Sizes - Trad v Compact

A few months ago I had a computerised bike fit for the (trad framed) road
bike I was then using and the bike was adjusted to suit my 'ideal' fit.
After a few tweaks here and there I arrived at what was a very comfortable
fit at a set up not too far from that recommended by the computerised bike
fit.

I now have the opportunity to buy a compact framed bike which basically
cocks up the computer fit, as this is aimed at trad frames. From the
measurements below, both recommended and actual from the compact, how much
can I allow for in terms of the compact frame (i.e. how much smaller would
be acceptable without the bike being deemed too small?)

Top Tube

Recommended (Trad Frame) - 576mm
Compact actual - 540mm

BB - Top Seat Tube

Recommended - 558mm
Compact actual - 515mm

On the compact to arrive at a comfortable riding position I need to have
about 204mm of seatpost tube out.

The reason I ask is that I have absolutely no idea what the 'official' size
of the compact is as I am buying second hand and can't find the frame
geometry anywhere. It's therefore a little different to gauge whether the
frame will be too small or not, although first impressions are comfy enough.

For the record I am 5 feet 11 inches with a 31 inside leg.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Paul

Old August 10th 05, 10:17 AM
Jeremy Collins

Paul wrote:

I now have the opportunity to buy a compact framed bike which basically
cocks up the computer fit, as this is aimed at trad frames. From the
measurements below, both recommended and actual from the compact, how much
can I allow for in terms of the compact frame (i.e. how much smaller would
be acceptable without the bike being deemed too small?)

Top Tube

Recommended (Trad Frame) - 576mm

[snip]

For the record I am 5 feet 11 inches with a 31 inside leg.

Thoughts anyone?

You really need to sit on the thing. Although a "58cm compact frame"
will often mean "58cm if this were a trad frame" - i.e. they measure
a hypothetical horizontal top tube length.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old August 10th 05, 10:56 AM
daren

I'm the same height, with slightly longer legs. I ride a 73 degree
parallel 56.5 cm top tube traditional frame. It so happens with this
geometry that the seat tube can be the same length. There are at least
two methods of measuring seat tube length (c-c, c-t). Your fitting
methods have shown that you fit the norm for this too.

Most compact frames now quote a "virtual" top tube length. This is the
horizontal distance from centre of steerer to centre of the seat pin.
The length of the down tube, which is the normal measure of frame size,
for a compact frame is irrelevant, it is virtual top tube length that
matters. Compact frames have longer real top tubes and shorter down
tubes to help standover. The most compact compact frame is of course
the women's mixte frame.

Length of exposed seatpost is irrelevant, I ride a Brompton!

From the details provided, if the virtual top tube is 540mm then the

frame is too small. If the actual top tube is 540mm, then the frame is
much too small.

regards,
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

Madone 5.2 SL Hans C. Techniques 35 September 21st 05 12:35 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
LOOK KG 296 CLM Frame/ Fork 54 cm- Medium (Road Version of the KG 296 PKV Track Model) [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 25th 04 09:09 PM
Frame fit: which is more important - Frame height vs. top tube length? S o r n i Techniques 18 July 9th 04 07:17 AM
Team vs Strada mjbass Recumbent Biking 43 January 5th 04 03:28 AM