A winter ride

Old January 10th 04, 05:34 PM
David Kerber

Default A winter ride

Those of you in New York and New England (and probably Tennessee Titans
fans as well) know what kind of weather they're talking about for today.
Not all-time record low, but probably a record low for the date, and
possibly a record lowest daily high. When I got up this morning it was
about -2°F, and by 10:00 it had warmed up to a toasty zero.

My family had been bugging me last night to go out and get ice cream,
but I refused. However I decided today might be a good day for a winter
ride just to see how I fared, and to get the ice cream without having to
worry about it melting on the way home. So went through my ski clothes
trying to figure out what would be about right to keep my face, hands
and feet warm without making my torso sweat. For my hands, I ended up
with a pair of Pearl Izumi full-finger cool-weather cycling gloves under
a pair of heavy leather fleece-lined mittens. On my head I put a silk
balaclava mask with a foam rubber-like half-face mask over it, and my
helmet on top. Then a regular cotton t-shirt and turtle neck, and my
regular winter coat with a liner which can be zipped separately. On my
legs I had a pair of sweat pants under a pair of insulated nylon warmup
pants. My feet had a pair of thin UnderArmor socks underneath some
heavy ski socks.

Once I started moving, I tried the shifters to be sure everything was
working, and that I could control them ok with the mittens on. Shifting
the Tiagra STI's with heavy mittens was a little clumsy, but acceptable
as long as I was a little careful. The front shifted a little stiff but
still worked ok, since I only expected to need to shift it once.

Then I headed out. To be sure I didn't work up a sweat, I went up the
hill from my house in the granny (30x23), and kept my cadence down to
around 70, but I still ended up fogging my glasses. So I took off the
half-mask and pulled down the opening in the balaclava to below my
mouth. The bike came with an 11-32 cassette, but I had swapped it out
for an Ultegra 11-23 a month ago to get some closer gears for racing,
and because I never needed the 30x32 or 30x28 gears.

Going to the store was with the wind (not a whole lot of it; maybe 5 -
10 mph), and I was able to maintain about 15 mph with little effort at a
lower-than-normal cadence. I quickly found myself starting to get
excessively warm, so I unzipped the outer coat about half-way, and that
seemed to work well.

because I was heading into the wind. I needed the half-mask to keep my
cheekbones from feeling like they were going to freeze, and my forehead
above my eyebrows felt like it was going to no matter what I did.

By the time I got home, the thermometer on the house was registering
about 6°F, but I was sweating pretty good even with both the outer coat
and the liner zipped halfway down from riding into the wind, and my toes
were cold. So I still have a bit to learn about what to wear to keep
from sweating, and need to figure out something to keep my toes warm.

Other interesting lessons learned:

My Specialized SpeedZone pro computer doesn't register the
temperature when it gets down around zero (the manual says what the
minimum it will register is, but I don't remember off the top of my
head), and the LCD display is a bit slow to update, but seems to work
fine otherwise. No problems like others have reported with blank
displays or inaccurate readings on other brands of computers.

My new seat (Specialized BG2 Sport) is great, and works well with
non-biking clothes. The cutout gave enough room for the crotch seams of
my two pairs of pants so that I had no problems with pressure points or
chafing. It was a short ride, though, so that might change with more
time in the saddle.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old January 10th 04, 11:28 PM
Bob

I give you alot of credit. I rode earlier this week when it was 5F above
but at -8F (upstate NY) this am, I headed for the trainer in the heated
garage. What did you wear for shoes? What kind of UnderArmour socks? I
can stay warm enough to ride even at zero, but haven't found anything to
keep my feet warm

Old January 11th 04, 05:42 PM
Peter Cole

"David Kerber" wrote in message
Those of you in New York and New England (and probably Tennessee Titans
fans as well) know what kind of weather they're talking about for today.
Not all-time record low, but probably a record low for the date, and
possibly a record lowest daily high. When I got up this morning it was
about -2°F, and by 10:00 it had warmed up to a toasty zero.

About a dozen of us did our 351rst consecutive club Saturday morning ride (30
mile loop), starting from Newton, MA, it was our coldest in that 7 years (~0
deg. F).

http://home.comcast.net/~peter_cole/index.html

I can honestly say that I've gotten things dialed-in to the point where I
didn't have the slightest discomfort riding for 2 hr in 0 deg F. I was riding
a fixed gear, so shifting wasn't an issue, though my other bikes have bar-end
which works well with mitts, too. I used a thin fleece balaclava, with a
separate band of stretch fleece (home-made) over my nose & upper lip, the only
skin showing was my lips. I didn't have any trouble with fogging at all.

My hands were too warm in LL Bean expedition mitts, I should have stopped and
removed either the shells (lined) or the inner mitts (med. fleece). I had 3
layers of fleece on top (stretch shirt, jacket, windbloc vest), which was too
much, I unzipped both (and got a little pink belly from that). I had stretch
fleece warmups over stretch fleece tights on my legs, which was perfect.

For my feet, I used 2 pairs of socks (stretch fleece inner, smartwool outer),
oversize MTB shoes (Sidi), with home-made booties (stretch fleece over plain
fleece). My feet were good, cold, but not uncomfortably so, and they weren't
getting any colder during the second half of the ride.

Old January 11th 04, 08:51 PM
flatline

You guys have pretty big cojones to be riding in this sort of weather.
I'll lift a steaming hot coffee in your honor at the local Starbucks
here in Austin (where it will reach a nice 60 degrees today.)

r.b.

Old January 11th 04, 11:50 PM
S o r n i

flatline top-posted:

You guys have pretty big cojones to be riding in this sort of weather.

Well, maybe PRIOR to riding!

Bill "basic physiology" S.

Old January 12th 04, 01:19 AM
David Kerber

In article , blue_x21
@usa.com says...
You guys have pretty big cojones to be riding in this sort of weather.
I'll lift a steaming hot coffee in your honor at the local Starbucks
here in Austin (where it will reach a nice 60 degrees today.)

When I was in school back in the mid-70's in Iowa, my bike was how I got
to school, and I rode every day. My record was about -20°F with a 30mph
wind. Better to do it on a bike and get there in 15-20 minutes than
walk and have it take 45.

r.b.

Old January 12th 04, 01:21 AM
David Kerber

In article , sorni@bite-
me.san.rr.com says...
flatline top-posted:

You guys have pretty big cojones to be riding in this sort of weather.

Well, maybe PRIOR to riding!

The cojones don't shrink, but what they're connected to sure does!

Old January 12th 04, 02:37 AM
Burr

Was it up hill with a head wind???

Did you have a hole in one shoe?

Burr

David Kerber wrote:

In article , blue_x21
@usa.com says...

Old January 12th 04, 05:02 AM
Cipher

David Kerber wrote:
Those of you in New York and New England (and probably Tennessee Titans
fans as well) know what kind of weather they're talking about for today.
Not all-time record low, but probably a record low for the date, and
possibly a record lowest daily high. When I got up this morning it was
about -2°F, and by 10:00 it had warmed up to a toasty zero.
kept my cadence down to around 70, but I still ended up fogging
my glasses.

Here in Minnesota for winter rides I've used a pair of old Scott dua
lens ski Goggles which solved the fogging issues

-