Just cannot adjust rear mech correctly

Old December 2nd 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_13_]

Default Just cannot adjust rear mech correctly

Hi, hope someone can help!

Groupset is Veloce 10 speed.

2 months ago I had a crash on my bike and went down on the right
side. I lightly scraped the right shifter and also scraped the rear
mech including damaging the heads on the adjuster screws where I slid
along the ground (my leg was worse than my bike!).

I replaced the rear hanger on the frame as it was very slightly bent.
Since the crash though my bike still isn't shifting properly, it will
constantly try to jump up 2 cogs but not quite make it, sometimes I
will shift down and it will not shift or jump 2 cogs and contine to
chain rub, a little flick of the lever usually sorts it.

Could the rear derailleur be damaged somehow, would I be better off to
buy a new one. I'm thinking it can't be the lever/shifter?

If I do need to replace the derailleur is it ok to go with a Xenon,
cash is a bit tight and it's just my Winter bike although ti does get
about 200 miles per week put on it.

Thanks in advance, this is driving me mad!

Mark
Old December 2nd 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 dec, 10:23, Mark wrote:
[...]

Look if the cage is still straight. Within limits you can bend it
back.

Lou
Old December 2nd 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_13_]

Look if the cage is still straight. Within limits you can bend it
back.

Lou- Hide quoted text -

Straight as in the metal cage, or you mean if it is straight in line
with something else?

Thanks.
Old December 2nd 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 dec, 11:32, Mark wrote:
Look if the cage is still straight. Within limits you can bend it
back.

Lou- Hide quoted text -

Straight as in the metal cage, or you mean if it is straight in line
with something else?

Thanks.

More or less aligned with the sprockets.

Lou
Old December 2nd 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:26:42 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On 2 dec, 10:23, Mark wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and recheck the hanger alignment, even though it's new.
Old December 2nd 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Dec 2, 2:23*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

It could be the ERGO lever. It sounds like the post on the spring
carrier is broken, a common thing, and can be fixed by anybody that
'qui si parla Campagnolo'.

Yes, those ERGOs are compatible with any Campagnolo rear derailleur
but it 'sounds' like your lever needs and OVH. If you send it to me,
I'll repair in one day and return.

http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 2nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 2, 3:23*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

The hanger may be new and straight, but the part of the frame it bolts
onto may be bent/twisted. As already mentioned, check that it is
straight. May be wise to take it to a shop that has one of those
hanger gauge tools from Park.
Old December 2nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rik O'Shea

On Dec 2, 9:23*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

Even though you replaced the rear hanger on the frame it sill may not
be aligned correctly. There is a tool available to check and adjust
this (see park website http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39).
I've had to do this twice after crashing on the derailleur side (as
recently as last weekend) - it generally works ok.
Also note that with a long cage derailleur the mis-alignment is
magnified more than with a short cage.
Old December 5th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_13_]

On Dec 2, 2:29*pm, "Rik O'Shea" wrote:
On Dec 2, 9:23*am, Mark wrote:

[...]

magnified more than with a short cage.- Hide quoted text -

Well I looked at the mech last night, it looks kinda straight, but
very difficult to tell to be honest. Unfortunately (!) I'm in the UK
otherwise I would send the shifter off for a rebuild/check. Not quite
sure what to do now, guess I will just have to hope my LBS might have
an idea and not jusr rip me off with new everything which is what they
usually try to do. Oh why can't I have a reasonable LBS!

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated.

Old December 5th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 2, 3:23*am, Mark wrote:
[...]

Also for the sake of dumbassery, check that the cable is properly
clamped, if it shifted in the crash, it will change the cable pull and
the shifting.

Rear Mech Graham FM Mountain Biking 5 May 20th 07 10:27 PM
FA Rear Mech MO UK 2 July 29th 06 08:06 PM
How to adjust Sora rear der Blue Gator Techniques 2 May 17th 06 03:49 AM
Is my rear mech GS or SGS? Rob Techniques 4 February 18th 06 11:16 PM
Is my rear mech GS or SGS? Rob UK 0 February 17th 06 08:57 AM