Bladder infections and cycling?

Old April 2nd 04, 09:31 PM
Bryan C

Default Bladder infections and cycling?

I just started riding a road bike, and after a few days I developed a
gall bladder infection. The doctor said she remembered reading that
cyclists had a higher incidence of bladder infections. Does this seem
right? Coincidence, or did I possibly get the infection from riding?
Guys aren't usually as susceptable to these infections as women, and
what is it about riding that would cause infection? Bacteria that is
present getting jostled around? The road bike was a little harsher
than my mountain bike...but darn. Now I am wondering how long I have
to wait, if any, to ride again. I am on antibiotics, so could I start
riding again soon?
Old April 2nd 04, 11:50 PM
psycholist

"Bryan C" wrote in message
om...
I just started riding a road bike, and after a few days I developed a
gall bladder infection. The doctor said she remembered reading that
cyclists had a higher incidence of bladder infections. Does this seem
right? Coincidence, or did I possibly get the infection from riding?
Guys aren't usually as susceptable to these infections as women, and
what is it about riding that would cause infection? Bacteria that is
present getting jostled around? The road bike was a little harsher
than my mountain bike...but darn. Now I am wondering how long I have
to wait, if any, to ride again. I am on antibiotics, so could I start
riding again soon?

10,000 miles (at least) a year for the last 10 years and I've never had one.
Never heard of cycling as a cause of one, either. I'd suspect other
lifestyle issues ... unless of course you're using a broom handle or a wire
brush or something stupid like that for a saddle.

Bob C.

Old April 3rd 04, 03:55 PM
loki

"Bryan C" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Right, sorry, I do have a urinary infection, not gall bladder infection.

I dunno how much cycling has to do with urinatry tract infections but if
you're not into pills, Cranberries are supposedly an excellent counter to
UTI's.

--
'If I seem unduly clear to you,
you must have misunderstood what I said'

Old April 4th 04, 11:24 PM
Claire Petersky

"Bryan C" wrote in message
om...

Guys aren't usually as susceptable to these infections as women, and
what is it about riding that would cause infection? Bacteria that is
present getting jostled around?

Bryan, keep it clean back there, you know what I mean, and wash your shorts
after every use, and you should be fine.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old April 5th 04, 06:18 AM
Tom Kunich

"Bryan C" wrote in message
om...

Right, sorry, I do have a urinary infection, not gall bladder infection.

In my experience women tend to get slightly more bladder infections when
riding but I've never heard that men do.

Old April 5th 04, 11:45 PM
Actually34

Anyone who sweats a lot can be prone to bladder infections. Drinking lots of
liquids before and during your ride will reduce your risk of a bladder
infection.