Conti Grand Prix II 4000 tire life

Old October 8th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Conti Grand Prix II 4000 tire life

I have been running this pretty much since they same out. I get huge mileage out of them and pretty flat free. Today I manage to get the bike out for short quick ride after the treadmill. I spin the front wheel and notice a bit of a very small bulge on the front tire. Examine close and it appears that in the side wall some material is starting to show and a small area with almost a chord-like appear. Ok so this is a front tire and sidewall I better put a new tire on it.

Sure enough taking it off I can see inside and feel the thinner sidewall and the starting to tear. Not major but could give out. My first question is I have heard the 4000's had an occasional side wall blow out. Now in my case I still can't complain the tire has 6460 miles on it not Kilometers. In excess of 10k for the math. The other thing is the actual wear indicators still show and while the tire has not a lot life left, had this not happen I probably could have got another 500 miles. I had no flats on this tire either for the record.

Well now I have gone to the Conti GP 5000's. I put a new one and they sure look and feel nice. I almost want to put a rear tire on I just like matched set of new. What do you think about all this and have you heard of the side wall issues on the 4000's.

Finally I don't run tubeless but these tires went on the H and Son Archetype Rim by hand no real struggle. I just love these rims they spin beautiful with Ultegra Hubs.

Deacon Mark
Old October 8th 20, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 8 oktober 2020 om 22:53:05 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

Count your blessings with a mileage of 6460 mi without a flat. I just replaced a GP5000 after 12000 km on the front. I don't remember if I had any flats. Front flats are very rare, even for me (riding in the wet). I count my blessings too and don't worry about side walls. There are other things to worry about.

Lou
Old October 8th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 4:07:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Count your blessings with a mileage of 6460 mi without a flat. I just replaced a GP5000 after 12000 km on the front. I don't remember if I had any flats. Front flats are very rare, even for me (riding in the wet). I count my blessings too and don't worry about side walls. There are orother things to worry about.

Lou

I do what Sheldon says not too. I run the tires about 1800 miles and if the rear looks real nice and no issues I rotate. I put the front on the back and back on front. They I run them till they are worn. I tend to get good mileage so I don't try and push it till chords showing on the treads. Seems I really too manage a flat in the wet conditions but been lucky for awhile. I hate to change a flat upsets the whole ride.

Deacon Mark
Old October 9th 20, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:07:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

That's almost exactly what I've gotten on two sets of GP5000TL's. I have another set and will try to find a crit rider to sell them to.

CONTI GRAND PRIX 3000 TIRE NEW FA Bologna Sandwich Marketplace 0 December 23rd 06 04:47 PM
CONTINENTAL GRAND PRIX 3000 TIRE NEW FA Bologna Sandwich Marketplace 0 December 19th 06 09:02 PM
SF Grand Prix live k.papai Racing 25 September 8th 05 03:47 AM
SF Grand Prix trg Racing 2 September 3rd 05 03:42 PM
Conti Grand Prix Supersonic problem... Bob UK 3 June 22nd 05 12:50 AM