HELP needed for _-FAST-_ healing of a massive blister?

Old August 9th 03, 01:06 AM
Clyde_in_TN

Default HELP needed for _-FAST-_ healing of a massive blister?

While out on a 3 mile run yesterday at the Academy, my feet got wet and
I got a huge (like the size of a quarter that someone left on railroad
tracks) blister on the sole of my foot (not a pleasant experience, I
assure you)

I put one of those blister bandages on it today and it didn't help for
sh!t, in fact after 1.5 mile run it popped and the skin came completely
off of it... So now it's ust a big patch of raw flesh. [I'll spare you
the gory pictures]

What is the fastest method of healing this thing up?

I MUST be able to run on it Monday at 3 PM or I'll have to fall out of
PT and I can only afford 2 fall outs before I DQ myself from the Academy.

Old August 9th 03, 02:22 AM
Slacker

While out on a 3 mile run yesterday at the Academy, my feet got wet and
I got a huge (like the size of a quarter that someone left on railroad
tracks) blister on the sole of my foot (not a pleasant experience, I
assure you)

I put one of those blister bandages on it today and it didn't help for
sh!t, in fact after 1.5 mile run it popped and the skin came completely
off of it... So now it's ust a big patch of raw flesh. [I'll spare you
the gory pictures]

What is the fastest method of healing this thing up?

I MUST be able to run on it Monday at 3 PM or I'll have to fall out of
PT and I can only afford 2 fall outs before I DQ myself from the Academy.

Man, I hate to tell you, but you're screwed! Don't even think of wearing
shoes or walking this weekend. Keep it very clean and a thin layer of
Neosporin (or similar) on it, uncovered, and pray....a lot!
--
Slacker

Old August 9th 03, 02:47 AM
Greg Smith

I know this is a novel in length but your embarking on something I feel very
passionately about.

What you have now are no longer blisters, and need to be dress as wounds by
a nurse or medic.

For future ref. When ever you get a blister try taking a small sterilized
sewing needle with an inch of tread on it. Run it in one side and straight
out the other side of the blister. Pull the tread back and forth through the
blister until it's completely drained, I've even know people who've kept the
thread in the blister for a day with some second skin and mole skin. Keep
the blister drained and covered and your feet dry. IMO a little Goldbond
powder in your boots, and runners will keep you going for Km's (Miles, and
Miles).
Some day I'll give instructions for putting some Goldbond on your boy's.
"certainly not an intended use" But if you get the right amount in your
briefs and its like your girlfriend is running behind you, tickling your
jewels with her finger tips and softly blowing a cool breeze on them the
hole way.

Ladies I do apologize for any offence taken there's just No other way to
describe the sweet sensation of Goldbond. I giggle just thinking about it.

Just incase you ever need some inspiration just think of these kids. The two
worst cases of blisters I've ever seen.

(1) An 18 yr old kid I did Basic with who's feet where fine at the
beginning of the day.
After a 13 Km march with full kit and weapon (done in under 2hrs in my
regiment) followed by a 100 metre fireman carry of one of your course mates
"and all of his kit". This kid had blisters that had formed broken and
caused his feet to bleed out. Leaving Blood rings in his socks from the top
of his Achilles tendon around his heels to the bottom of his arches. (On
both feet).
He never once complained or fell behind, He graduated first on the course.

(2) Female soldier from the same basic course but on our combat engineer
training course. Our Schedule was a brutal 18 hour days, 14 days straight, 2
days off "repeated until grad". Yes PT every day. This girl had same blister
and skin loss as you, but on both feet and covering 80 percent of her soles.
She spent 3 days on Sick parade. But refused to quit, she was only 18 at the
time and a 5'6" package of determination. She continues to serve in the
Armed Forces as a Sapper "Combat Engineer".

Don't give in to the mind job. You know what it's about so you can
rationalize it. No matter how bad the pain is, it is transient. There is an
end in site keep us posted

Good luck
Greg

Old August 9th 03, 04:03 AM
Mitch Pollard

whenever i get a blister that big I do hope the top skin comes off. then I
sit around alot. and let the flesh moist new layer of skin Dry and slowly
harden. now.. doing this walking on it might give you some pain but it
should be dry. and just roughing it up is my suggestion if you cant see
method in my madness dont worry... but its a blister not a broken foot.
Patching it up with some tight gauze and plaster should give you enough to
run on it. so nothing is rubbing onto the tender skin underneath.. .

good luck

Old August 9th 03, 12:04 PM
David Kunz

Greg Smith wrote:
I know this is a novel in length but your embarking on something I feel very
passionately about.

What you have now are no longer blisters, and need to be dress as wounds by
a nurse or medic.

For future ref. When ever you get a blister try taking a small sterilized
sewing needle with an inch of tread on it. Run it in one side and straight
out the other side of the blister. Pull the tread back and forth through the
blister until it's completely drained, I've even know people who've kept the

Everything that I've read and my experience is exactly the opposite!
The blister is your body's way of protecting damaged tissue -- it's a
pillow. If you pop or drain it, the protection 's on you -- AND, much
harder! I've found that a properly applied blister bandage (mole skin
or mole foam) works well - they key is properly applied. You need to
make a donut out of it with a pair of sissors; possibly use 2 or more
layers for big ones!. The donut goes around the blister (the hole's a
little bigger than the blister), then a final layer on top of it with
the sitck'um covered so that it doesn't adhere to the blister itself.

BUT, once you've popped it (as others have said), you're screwed. You
have a really sensitive spot that's also a cut. Treat it as such.
Neosporin/polysporin (I'd look for the stuff with the pain numbing
effects). If you really have to run on it, I'd consider thick socks
also (if they'll comfortably fit in your running shoes. Actually, a
pair of nylon dress socks first, then the thick athletic socks. The
double layer acts like a bearing so that if your foot needs to slide in
the shoe, it slides at the 2 sock interface instead of your foot sliding
in the sock making things worse (old Scoutmaster trick -- works with wet
feet too ).

David

Old August 9th 03, 02:58 PM
Kathleen

Merlin wrote:

Kathleen spoke thusly...

And if worse comes to worse and you have to fall out, you've still got
one fall out to spare, right?

Think of the mental perspective here. if you have two fall outs, then
mentally, you figure, if i lose one, i always have one more. but if you
have one left, then it is like a last chance.

snip

If Clyde's concerned that he may have to fall out over this one - and he
is - I'm not about to second guess his judgement. I don't carry his
weight, feel his pain, or know anything about his healing ability, or
medical history. And neither do you.

Could he run on his blisters to save his life or somebody else's? Sure.
Could he run fast enough to do it effectively? Maybe, given the
effects of adrenaline. But there might be a price to pay afterwards, in
terms of weeks or days of extra healing time and disability.

At this point, this is not a life-or-death situation. It's not even a
"job-or-unemployment" situation. Only Clyde can decide whether the
situation merits the use of one of his two "fall outs".

Kathleen
And by the way, if a wound of that size becomes infected it would
require medical attention, probably including topical and oral
antibiotics, not epsom salts and hot water.

Old August 9th 03, 04:15 PM
bomba

Clyde_in_TN wrote:
While out on a 3 mile run yesterday at the Academy, my feet got wet and
I got a huge (like the size of a quarter that someone left on railroad
tracks) blister on the sole of my foot (not a pleasant experience, I
assure you)

I put one of those blister bandages on it today and it didn't help for
sh!t, in fact after 1.5 mile run it popped and the skin came completely
off of it... So now it's ust a big patch of raw flesh. [I'll spare you
the gory pictures]

What is the fastest method of healing this thing up?

There's nothing you can do to heal it in time now. Even if it does
begin to heal over, the skin / flesh will still be sore, and unless you
make some changes, that area will be under the same pressure that caused
the blister in the first place.

Your best bet is to do a patch up job that will prevent the blister area
from coming under stress again on Monday. I think the best thing to do
is to put a thin bit of dressing on the affected area and some strong
strapping. Not too much, you don't want another blister but enough
to keep everything in place

I MUST be able to run on it Monday at 3 PM or I'll have to fall out of
PT and I can only afford 2 fall outs before I DQ myself from the Academy.

All the best, big fella.

Old August 10th 03, 02:55 PM
Dave W

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:31:51 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

Merlin wrote:
Kathleen spoke thusly...

Merlin wrote:

[...]

clearly, you all have it in for me to debunk every single piece of
knowledge i have. think of that next time when i may have key
information to solve, or aid a problem.

your so quick to try and pick out the inaccuracy, you miss any value
that could have been found.

Listen, pinhead, you reply to a post of mine with a load of your usual
fantasies and half-baked google rakings, and yep, you're going be refuted.

as soon as i can raise the funds for shipping, i am sending the bike
parts back.

And this should concern me because?

i am finished with this group, and want nothing more to do
with it. i love the sport of mountain biking, but you tarnish it with
details.

Little petty details like common sense and actual facts?

and before you prejudge, no, i am not in "one of those moods". i am
actually in a pretty good mood, considering i am still fighting what
will soon be a 2 week flu.

Again, this should concern me because?

Kathleen

Princess high and mighty has spoken, heed her words Merlin, or pay the
price....

Dave (refuted? Hardly!)
Old August 11th 03, 02:36 AM
Michael Dart

"Clyde_in_TN" wrote in message
While out on a 3 mile run yesterday at the Academy, my feet got wet and
I got a huge (like the size of a quarter that someone left on railroad
tracks) blister on the sole of my foot (not a pleasant experience, I
assure you)

I put one of those blister bandages on it today and it didn't help for
sh!t, in fact after 1.5 mile run it popped and the skin came completely
off of it... So now it's ust a big patch of raw flesh. [I'll spare you
the gory pictures]

What is the fastest method of healing this thing up?

I MUST be able to run on it Monday at 3 PM or I'll have to fall out of
PT and I can only afford 2 fall outs before I DQ myself from the Academy.

I've seen where folks running those death march enduro races like the Raid
and Eco-Challenge like to use duct tape to patch up blisters to keep going.
Don't know what the adhesive would do to the wound though. But those guys
(and gals) aren't right in the head anyway.

Another trick I've used hiking is to use a thin liner sock under a thicker
pair as a friction barrier.

HTH John and good luck.

Mike

Old August 11th 03, 04:08 PM
Dave W

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:31:28 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

Dave W wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:31:51 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

Merlin wrote:

Kathleen spoke thusly...

Merlin wrote:

[...]

It's all a question of perspective. To a bottom feeder like yourself,
just about anything is bound to look "high and mighty"

Well you fit the bill.....

Wassamatta, Dave? Somebody else hogging your spot on JD's ankle?

do you actually pay attention here, or just pop in with some "motherly
advice" ? cuz the above statement shows that you don't.

Down
to seeds and stems...again?

Seeds? jeez you are an OLD hag ain't ya?

Kathleen needs to catch up with the times.....