Herne Hill situation

Old February 7th 05, 10:29 AM
ScumOfTheRoad

Default Herne Hill situation

I thought it worth forwarding this email on to the group,
as I know many people here are interested.
I gather HH is now shut up, at least temporarily.

If you want to make your views known, look at
http://www.londonvelodrome.org

From: Friends of Herne Hill Velodrome
To: Friends of HH Velodrome 2
Subject: Herne Hill Velodrome Update

Dear Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome

Securing the 2005 programme
First, thanks you to all of you who have e-mailed your support from the
London Velodrome Trust website to the Dulwich Estate. We've had brilliant
support from all of you, plus supportive letters from local MPs, including
Tessa Jowell, Simon Hughes and others - Valerie Shawcross at the GLA,
British Cycling, Sport England plus London 2012.

This has resulted in some positive movement from The Dulwich Estate, less
than the LVT has requested and might reasonably expect, but which is
positive in the short term. The negotiation of arrangements between the LVT
and the Estate to both guarantee Good Friday 2005 the rest of the season are
ongoing and looking positive.

Thank Tessa Jowell and say that like her youre passionate about sport.
It would be helpful if you could all e-mail Tessa Jowell the local MP at her
constituency office, at , copied to
letting her know how much you appreciate her
support for Herne Hill, particularly those that live in her constituency.

If you have friends in the Dulwich and West Norwood constituency supportive
of HHVs cycling future, please forward this e-mail to them & ask them to
give Tessa their views.

Current position
The London Velodrome Trusts home page
http://www.londonvelodrome.org/
summarises the current position. The Trust is working to re-open HHV as
soon as legal agreements can be put in place, and to subsequently engage
positively with the new lessee to secure a viable future for cycling.

Re-opening Herne Hill - Track Riders keep training
This can only happen once arrangements to allow the LVT to re-open the
Velodrome are in place between between the Dulwich Estate, their proposed
new lessees, Southwark Council, and the London Velodrome Trust the Dulwich
Estate say the end of February for this but offer no guarantees.

The likely commercial deal
This is certain to be conditional on the preferred commercial leisure
operator achieving a planning consent for a viable commercial leisure
development of the Velodrome site (perhaps including adjacent DE land too).
As Metropolitan Open Land the development options will be constrained by
Southwark and the Greater London Authorities planning development policies
which .

If the Estates new Leisure operator intends to secure local support for
their preferred development they are likely to include retention of the
velodrome. No pre planning application discussions with the planning
authority for a new development have yet taken place. If the planning
consent they want isnt achieved their deal with the Dulwich Estate is
likely to be over.

E-mail a friend
Pass this on to a friend and tell them that if they want to be put on the
Friends of Herne Hill e-mail list to e-mail
including the words Friends email providing their Full name, Address &
Full postcode, and details of Club membership or organisation represented.

Yours in sport

Judith Bonner & Charlene Duncan
Chair & Vice-Chair Friends of Herne Hill Velodrome

Old February 7th 05, 10:44 AM
Helen C Simmons

"ScumOfTheRoad" wrote in message
news
I thought it worth forwarding this email on to the group,
as I know many people here are interested.
I gather HH is now shut up, at least temporarily.

I got the same email, and did an email to both Tessa Jowell & Simon Hughes,
thanking them for their support in trying to keep Herne Hill open - after
all, it's not just of importance to its immediate locality. If Nathan wants
to have a go at track, we've got to travel to say, Manchester or Herne Hill.
I said that we cannot afford to lose another velodrome - we should be
building more, not closing them down. Anyhow, I've already had a response
from Simon Hughes's office - just a basic thank you for your email - but at
least it's acknowledged.

Cheers, helen s

Herne Hill Velodrome to close? Buffalo Bill UK 5 January 31st 05 07:54 PM
Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
Good Friday, Herne Hill John Hearns UK 2 March 17th 04 11:36 PM
Stupid gearing (or an encounter with Succombs Hill) Sky Fly UK 17 November 8th 03 10:35 AM
Herne Hill - Saturday and Sunday this weekend John Hearns UK 2 October 3rd 03 09:51 AM