AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old June 15th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Thursday's ride

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:19:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

One of my personal sadnesses is the realization that potholes form much
more quickly where trees shade the road. And in bright sunlight, the
dappled shadows make it hard to see those potholes.

I love trees and I love smooth roads. I wish they weren't in conflict.

I haven't noticed that, perhaps because around here tree-lined roads
tend to be roads used only by the people who live on them.

When I lived in upstate New York, and trained for the September
Century every summer, I was much puzzled by the brown line on my left
calf. Eventually I realized that whenever the sun was to my right, I
was on the shady side of the road. I still have a tendency to put
more sunscreen on my left leg.

When planning tomorrow's ride, I noticed that Google Maps will now
allow me to ride a bike over Chinworth Bridge. Previously, I had to
map two separate rides.

So I switched to walking mode: they still won't let me step over the
curb between KCH and the Beyer Farm Trail. I suspect that they can't
figure out a way to let walkers use routes that aren't in their data
base without letting their automatic route maker route people through
buildings.

I do walk through buildings when I haven't got the bike with me. When
I was in college, I regularly cut through the State House to get to
the state library. And always reflected on how IMPRESSED I had been
the first time I saw the inside.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old June 15th 18, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default I hope this one sticks

Tomorrow is what feels like my fifteenth first long ride of the year.
I did go to Leesburg during the winter. And brought back duck confits
that didn't quite fit into the insulated pannier. (I had thought that
I could re-pack them, but the packets of meat had been tossed into the
box any old way and they froze into odd shapes.)

I considered printing out the Friday specials and asking Dave what he
felt like, then reflected that it's going to be ninety degrees (30 C)
out -- stuffed chicken breasts are the only thing that I know for sure
will fit compactly into my insulated pannier and fill up all the
space, with just enough room for Black Ice at each end. And we are
out of stuffed chicken breasts. Chicken chips can wait. (And I've
still got plenty of confit.)

This will be the first time I've worn cleated shoes. I'll have
sandals in the other pannier, of course.

Switchel is cooling in the fridge. I boiled a bottle of water with
some ginger shavings, a teaspoon or so of honey, a coffee measure of
red-wheat flour, and three stalks of rhubarb. Three because they are
spindly and don't have much flavor. It tastes pretty good. Enough
water boiled away that I can add a little orange juice in the morning.
I have small zipper bags of ice cubes in the deep freeze with the
Black Ice, so I can add ice after I've drunk some.

I'm going to need tea. But I need a bottle of plain water, I don't
want to take a non-disposable bottle that isn't in a bottle cage, and
tea should be in a bottle that I can drink from. Inspiration struck: I
put a teaspoon of leaves into a "pill pouch" (tiny zip-lock bag) and
added it to my emergency-food bag. If I can't buy tea at Sandy's
Sports Bar, I can eat the leaves. And at ninety degrees, it wouldn't
take all that long to cold-brew it.

I got my long-sleeved linen jersey out of storage. Much to my
surprise, it is in good repair. The outer pockets are tighter than I
remember; when I make my new one, I'll see whether I can steal a
centimeter from each end of the middle pocket.

Old June 16th 18, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

The dime dropped during this ride: I should make my switchel
extra-strong, carry it in a disposable bottle, and use it to flavor
water I pick up along the way. Since an eighth of a cup of flour
didn't thicken it at all, I think I could put a quarter of a cup into
an imperial pint without making it too thick to strain. I've read
that acid can thin starch-based sauces, and the rhubarb was quite
tart. And it's oxalic acid, which is much stronger than vinegar.

(Looked it up. Cornstarch is particularly known as unsuitable for
thickening acid dishes. It's impossible to discuss white sauce
without expressing great horror at the possibility of "the taste of
uncooked flour". As I child, I picked wheat and ate it right off the
plant. It's *good* raw!)

I took a one-quart disposable bottle of water along, and still had a
pint in it when I got home.

To my surprise, I didn't feel tired at all when I got home. Perhaps
that is because Stacy's Sports Bar served my tea in a quart glass, and
when I'd nearly finished it, the waitress topped it off with more tea
(because the ice had melted) than had been in it in the first place,
and it was quite strong. When I finished my soup I poured the
remaining tea -- about half a pint -- into the bottle I'd planned to
ask her to fill with water. (The quart in the pannier had not been
touched at this time.) The ice in the tea went into the switchel, and
when I packed the chicken breasts in Black Ice, I added ice from the
sandwich bags I'd packed with The Black Ice. The ice cubes went on
top of the newspaper over the frozen food, and most of them went into
the switchel at various stops. At the last diluting of the switchel,
I dropped the ice onto the concrete. I rinsed each cube with a squirt
of water from the bottle I'd refilled inside, put most into the
switchel, and a few back into the bag. All this made a surprisingly
small mess on the concrete.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:42:13 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I got my long-sleeved linen jersey out of storage. Much to my
surprise, it is in good repair. The outer pockets are tighter than I
remember; when I make my new one, I'll see whether I can steal a
centimeter from each end of the middle pocket.

I thought I'd been flipping my cookie, as items I thought I'd put in
the end pockets kept vanishing and turning up, to my vast relief, in
the middle pocket. Turns out that my row of pockets has internal
leaks.

I suspect that the leaks may be deliberate, as I end dividing stitches
above the fold to eliminate lint traps. Most likely the stitches came
undone, but it's possible that I made the spaces too big in the first
place.

I haven't examined it closely to see which because it's wet. I was
obliged to walk through a patch of poison ivy, so I undressed into the
washing machine -- which I'd have done anyhow: most of the tea,
switchel, and water that I drank ended up on my skin. I ran my
sleeves under the faucet at Aldi, and twelve minutes later, when I
stopped at Owen's, the sleeves were bone dry.

I can't say the same for arms inside them.

Old June 18th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

And in bright sunlight, the
dappled shadows make it hard to see those potholes.

I was reminded of this conversation last Thursday. On my way to
Leesburg for frozen stuffed chicken breasts, I turned onto the
Chinworth Bridge Trail.

Actually, I crossed Zimmer Road after walking through the Zimmer
campus, changed from walking shoes to riding shoes while leaning
against the Mile Zero post, and remounted.

As I rode around the first curve, I reflected that I must be alert for
the trench across the trail just outside the fence around the
City-County Athletic Complex. I've been threatening to take Dave's
spray can of yellow paint with me and mark that trench, but even if
I'd thought of it, I wouldn't have wanted to haul a can of paint to
Leesburg and back.

Just far enough in to be concealed by the curve, there was a patch of
dappled shade the full width of the pavement. I'd been on the Trail
recently, and knew that the trench was the only notable flaw, but one
can't really count on that: witness Winona Avenue two or three weeks
ago, when I would have crashed, and might have fallen under the wheels
of a heavy vehicle, if I hadn't already had both hands on the brakes.
On Saturday, the hole in the "bike lane" was more dangerous than ever
because cars had splashed the gravel around, but I saw it sooner.

But that was the only such place on the whole trip, which Google Maps
says was nearly thirty miles. (28.2 miles, give or take five) There
were lots of trees, but either the shade was solid or it extended only
a little bit into the lane, so that I could ride around it.

Old June 18th 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 23:16:59 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Winona Avenue two or three weeks
ago, when I would have crashed, and might have fallen under the wheels
of a heavy vehicle, if I hadn't already had both hands on the brakes.
On Saturday, the hole in the "bike lane" was more dangerous than ever
because cars had splashed the gravel around, but I saw it sooner.

This morning a worker at Grace College maintenance radioed another
asking him (or maybe her; I didn't hear the reply) to find out what
fiber-optic cable company had dug up the campus, because he wanted to
do some major-league cussing. They had damaged a sewer line, and
they'd left a hatch open that a student might have fallen into.

He added that they had done this all over Winona, so I think I know
the cause of my narrow escape from disaster.

Just looked up my training log: the narrow escape happened on 9 June
2018.

Would you believe, Google Maps marks Winona Avenue as particularly
suitable for bicycles? They also mark the part of Wooster Road that
I'll go miles out of my way to avoid.