Portland Driver on Vacation

Old May 30th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Portland Driver on Vacation

Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 30th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

Not from Portland, just driving a Range Rover. What did I tell you? I think its the leather treatment. BTW, I don't think drivers from Portland would have the spine for driving in downtown London or any of the major European cities. It would take me a month to adjust to commuting in London. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvqnTx8Iz_w&t=243s

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 30th 19, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/30/2019 8:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

Not from Portland, just driving a Range Rover. What did I tell you? I think its the leather treatment. BTW, I don't think drivers from Portland would have the spine for driving in downtown London or any of the major European cities. It would take me a month to adjust to commuting in London. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvqnTx8Iz_w&t=243s

-- Jay Beattie.

No mention of whether or not the driver is in jail yet.
Old May 30th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 30 May 2019 09:42:37 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

If only there had been a segregated bicycle lane...
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 31st 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2019 09:42:37 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

If only there had been a segregated bicycle lane...
--

Cheers,

John B.

Because of a criminal act they are calling for segregated bike lanes rather than a very severe penalty for the driver spread all over the media?
Old June 2nd 19, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 31 May 2019 09:32:52 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2019 09:42:37 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Hey Jay, do you recognize the driver? Couldn't find a rental
pickup in England apparently.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocks-bike.html

If only there had been a segregated bicycle lane...
--

Cheers,

John B.

Because of a criminal act they are calling for segregated bike lanes rather than a very severe penalty for the driver spread all over the media?

I keep telling y'all that you need to imitate some of the laws we have
over here. In Thailand if there is a collision the larger vehicle is
initially deemed to be at fault and if there was a death may be
charged with "causing a death". Of course, if there are witnesses or
other proof that the smaller vehicle is at fault then, the large
vehicle is deemed innocent.

What would normally happen in a case of a motor vehicle hitting a
bicycle, assuming no extenuating proof to the contrary, would be that
the motor vehicle owner, or operator, would offer some form of
monetary compensation to the family of the dead cyclist and (probably)
pay for the funeral.

There was a somewhat similar case in San Francisco, years ago, that I
read about. A young man who worked for the cable car company was
killed on the job and it was shown that the cable car company was at
fault (in some manner). The court awarded financial compensation to
the family in an amount based on the individual's estimated earning
capability over his (probable) remaining lifetime.

If a pickup driver knew that if he hit a bicycle and killed or injured
the rider, unless there was evidence to prove the bicycle to be in the
wrong, that the owner, or operator, of the pickup would have to pay
compensation, based on the cyclist's remaining lifetime earning
capability than I suspect that the pickup would act very carefully
when passing a bicycle.

But perhaps that would be deemed "cruel and unusual" punishment.
--

Cheers,

John B.