28 vs 32 tire

Old August 27th 05, 04:45 AM
Sniper Anon

Default 28 vs 32 tire

On 23-Aug-2005, wrote:

Hmmm . . . The highest point in Illinois is Charles Mound at
1135 feet. The highest point in Missouri is Taum Sauk
Mountain at 1772 feet.

Summit County, Colorado, enjoys an altitude of about 9,000
feet around popular Dillon Reservoir:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6&lon=-106.01667

So let's start with the defaults for a "roadster" with
"robust" tires at 1150 feet on this handy calculator and
vary the tires and elevation:

750 feet MSL would be much closer to the average elevation of the Illinois
Prairie Path.

--
Sniper Anon

Old August 27th 05, 05:43 AM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:45:47 GMT, "Sniper Anon"
wrote:

On 23-Aug-2005, wrote:

Hmmm . . . The highest point in Illinois is Charles Mound at
1135 feet. The highest point in Missouri is Taum Sauk
Mountain at 1772 feet.

Summit County, Colorado, enjoys an altitude of about 9,000
feet around popular Dillon Reservoir:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6&lon=-106.01667

So let's start with the defaults for a "roadster" with
"robust" tires at 1150 feet on this handy calculator and
vary the tires and elevation:

750 feet MSL would be much closer to the average elevation of the Illinois
Prairie Path.

Dear Snip,

I expect that you're right and that 750 feet is more
accurate for Illinois.

But now let's plug your figure into the calculator and
insert the result in the original table:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

bike elev. tires mph
---- ---- ----- ---
roadster 750 robust 14.7 snip's adjusted elevation
roadster 1150 robust 14.8 Illinois
roadster 9000 robust 16.2 Colorado

roadster 750 medium 15.6 snip's adjusted elevation
roadster 1150 medium 15.7 Illinois
roadster 9000 medium 17.2 Colorado

This illustrates how a 400-foot change in elevation (1150
versus 750 feet) barely shows up in a modest bicyling
example--the speed change registers as only a tenth of a
mile per hour, and that's probably due to lucky rounding.

It takes a rise of 7,850 feet to reduce wind drag enough to
add about 1.5 mph to a bicycle going about 15 mph. The
wind-drag reduction of a rise only roughly 1/20th of that
height is too small to measure reliably on a scale using
tenths of a mile per hour.

And of course the 9,000 foot figure for Summit County is the
elevation of the reservoir--most trails go up from the

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6&lon=-106.01667

Note the nameless 9430-foot hill next to the reservoir. The
nearby mountains (5 miles away) run 10 to 12 thousand feet

So I think that the default Kreuzotter 1150-foot elevation
works well enough to show the wind-drag in both Illinois and
Missouri versus what may be expected in Summit County,
Colorado.

From Colorado, the elevations of Illinois and Missouri
resemble a who's-the-tallest-dwarf contest, just as Colorado
elevations amuse a doctor whom I know who grew up in the
shadows of the Himalayas.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 31st 05, 10:32 PM
John Everett

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:43:08 -0600, wrote:

And of course the 9,000 foot figure for Summit County is the
elevation of the reservoir--most trails go up from the

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6&lon=-106.01667

Note the nameless 9430-foot hill next to the reservoir.

Not nameless at all. I assume you're referring to Sapphire Point,
reached by bike up Swan Mountain Road. Perhaps not, since that's
listed as 9606' on my topo map.

Later...okay, I did check the above url. The point you're referring to
is indeed unnamed, even on my topo map; but note the road paralleling
the lake just to the north of the 9430' hill. That's Swan Mountain
Road, and at that particular spot dead straight and really downhill.
I've approached 50 mph coming down there, but last time suddenly
remembered I was on a 15 year old bike and decided some application of
brakes would be prudent.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old September 1st 05, 12:46 AM
John Everett

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:23:31 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:19:14 GMT, John Everett
wrote:

However, to further illustrate Carl's point, our host on this latest
journey had a certificate on his wall attesting to his having
successfully scaled all the 4,000 footers in the White Mountains.
Sigh!

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

To be fair, it sounds like an awful lot of hiking:

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=21404

And 6,000+ feet of clean prominence isn't bad at all:

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6960

The description makes Mount Washington sound cold,
miserable, and dangerous.

Brrr! Just thinking about it makes me want to go riding half
an hour early this evening, just to be safe and warm--with
the current cold snap, the temperature might drop below 70
before sunset.

Dear Carl:

As an aside, there's an annual bike race up the Mt. Washington auto
road. It was held just before we arrived in NH, and was all the news
in the local sports pages. Winner...tah-dah...Tyler Hamilton.

Guess the local organizers don't pay no mind to those furrin UCI
suspensions. ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3