Trek Alpha Aluminum 1000c?????

Old August 31st 05, 04:59 PM
Robert Uhl

Default Trek Alpha Aluminum 1000c?????

The Wogster writes:

Angled top tubes serve three purposes, one you can eliminate a
separate mens/ladies model if the top tube is angled enough (nobody
makes really narrow skirts anymore, and few women would wear them
riding anyway), it reduces the step over height for older riders, and
it makes the frame slightly lighter, because you can reduce the length
of the seat tube, of course that means a longer seatpost is needed,
and those tend to be heavy steel for strength, so on a complete
bicycle, it's actually heavier.

I wonder how cycling in a kilt would work out...

--
Robert Uhl http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl
Windows is the answer, but only if the question was `what is the
Old August 31st 05, 09:20 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:19:15 -0400, The Wogster
wrote:

Aluminum would probably have strength issues when the seat post is up
over 15-20cm, and if you broke a carbon one, you could be pulling
plastic shards out of your butt for weeks.....

Is that why I have a 40 cm alu 26.4[1] seat post that an accessories shop
felt comfortable selling to me without fear of being sued? Incidentally,
anyone want it? My bikes are 2_5_.4. Whoops.

Jasper

[1] Maybe it was 27.4. Whichever, it wasn't the right size.
Old August 31st 05, 09:31 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:09:11 -0500, catzz66
wrote:

What is the purpose of these things? The inserts are in the fork and
the seatpost.

Google sez "to damp the vibration getting through to the rider".

Jasper
Old September 1st 05, 12:27 AM
Todd

"NYC XYZ" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi, thanks for responding. I still don't get the "display model
thing"...if they will have to build another bike anyway, why not give
ME that other bike that's to be built and leave the one hanging up for
test rides, etc.?

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that you buy cars directly off
the lot too, just like a bike off the salesfloor. The cars have been
sitting there, as "display models" for anyone and everyone to look at, test
drive, etc. You don't insist on the salesperson getting you a fresh one out
of some imaginary storage box after you've looked at the identical model
you want, do you? They'd laugh at you if you insisted on getting the exact
car you just test drove, except undriven. But every new car all of us have
bought were looked at, sat in, and test driven before we bought it, and was
subject to all the same variables as the bikes we're talking about. I don't
get what the big deal is.

Todd
Old September 1st 05, 02:05 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:27:23 GMT, Todd
wrote:

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that you buy cars directly off
the lot too, just like a bike off the salesfloor. The cars have been
sitting there, as "display models" for anyone and everyone to look at, test
drive, etc. You don't insist on the salesperson getting you a fresh one out
of some imaginary storage box after you've looked at the identical model
you want, do you? They'd laugh at you if you insisted on getting the exact
car you just test drove, except undriven. But every new car all of us have
bought were looked at, sat in, and test driven before we bought it, and was
subject to all the same variables as the bikes we're talking about. I don't
get what the big deal is.

Most of us buy cars off the lot, but people buying *new* cars (as opposed
to secondhand), quite a lot of the time get actual new cars. You might
want a different colour, or a different option set, etc. A friend of mine
recently bought a BMW M3, and his car was custom-made in Bavaria, then
shipped over the Atlantic, and then driven on a truck to get to his local
dealership. What you do depends on how much you want to please the
salesman ($25.000 car sold now off the lot is MUCH better than a $27000
car sold to spec next month), and how much you want the exact options you
desire versus how much you want/need the car *now*.

Hey, wow, that's much the same as the bicycle situation.

Jasper