who else sells cheap ti frames?

Old August 15th 05, 07:23 PM
Dave

Default who else sells cheap ti frames?

I bought a TST frame on closeout a few years ago and was disappointed.
Don't know the model, but it was badged as a Mongoose "Pro" something
with Sandvik 3/2.5 tubing (straight gauge, I assume).

Anyway, it looked great but rode harshly. I'd stay away from these
unless you can test ride it first.

Old August 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Dave

C wrote:
In article .com,
Dave wrote:
I bought a TST frame on closeout a few years ago and was disappointed.
Don't know the model, but it was badged as a Mongoose "Pro" something
with Sandvik 3/2.5 tubing (straight gauge, I assume).

Anyway, it looked great but rode harshly. I'd stay away from these
unless you can test ride it first.

What size frame?

It was a 54cm, and I'm 5'10, 155 pounds. Larger frame size or heavier
rider might change the characteristics somewhat, but I wouldn't count
on it.

Old August 15th 05, 09:10 PM
Ron Ruff

Dave wrote:
I bought a TST frame on closeout a few years ago and was disappointed.
Don't know the model, but it was badged as a Mongoose "Pro" something
with Sandvik 3/2.5 tubing (straight gauge, I assume).

Anyway, it looked great but rode harshly. I'd stay away from these
unless you can test ride it first.

Actually, vertical flex on *any* unsuspended frame is nil. The tires,
bars, stem, fork, seatpost, and seat all flex a lot more.

The great majority of Ti frames use straight guage tubing (even high
priced Litespeeds); it isn't a problem.

Old August 15th 05, 11:07 PM
Dave

Ron Ruff wrote:
Actually, vertical flex on *any* unsuspended frame is nil. The tires,
bars, stem, fork, seatpost, and seat all flex a lot more.

The great majority of Ti frames use straight guage tubing (even high
priced Litespeeds); it isn't a problem.

Yes, I understand that frames do not flex vertically, and prior to
owning the TST, I was pretty well convinced that given the same
dimensions, tire pressure, etc., any frame would ride just as nicely as
any other.

I can only say this: For several months I went back and forth between
the TST and a Bianchi aluminum bike, both with identical rider
position, with identical wheels and probably identical tires. The
weight difference between the two bikes was a pound at most. The
difference between the two was subtle but very noticeable, and I really
came to dislike the TST.

Old August 15th 05, 11:42 PM
Dave Lehnen

Dave wrote:

C wrote:

In article .com,
Dave wrote:

I bought a TST frame on closeout a few years ago and was disappointed.
Don't know the model, but it was badged as a Mongoose "Pro" something
with Sandvik 3/2.5 tubing (straight gauge, I assume).

Anyway, it looked great but rode harshly. I'd stay away from these
unless you can test ride it first.

What size frame?

It was a 54cm, and I'm 5'10, 155 pounds. Larger frame size or heavier
rider might change the characteristics somewhat, but I wouldn't count
on it.

I've got the same bike, except in 56cm. Of several good road bikes,
it's my favorite. Mine is built with a Look HSC-1, a fork with low
bending stiffness. It rides and handles fine. I'm 5'10", 150, FWIW.

The welds look as good as I've ever seen on a Ti bike, and I like
the complete absence of decals or stickers to get scratched. My
frame weighs 3.3 lbs, not feather-light, but reasonable.

Dave Lehnen

Old August 16th 05, 05:39 PM
Dave

Dave Lehnen wrote:
Dave wrote:

C wrote:

In article .com,
Dave wrote:

[...]

I would agree that the TST's are perfectly adequate, but I suspect
there were better choices (for me) out there, even at a low price
point.

I definitely will agree with you about nice welds. I removed all the
decals and was often asked on club rides whether I was riding a
Litespeed or Merlin.

Old August 16th 05, 05:45 PM
dennis

titaniumsports web site says they are sold out on their road frames.

Old August 17th 05, 02:35 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:00:28 -0500, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
Hmmm... you might have some difficulty finding derailers and rear hubs
for these frames...
http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?r...rootcl=1&cls=1

Why is that?

Chain-on-the-left is fairly nonstandard nowadays.

Jasper
Old September 1st 05, 03:54 AM
Sock Puppet

On 12-Aug-2005, wrote:

Anyone know where I can get Custom 20" forks built (titanium ...

Dear Gene,

Try here,
http://rotatorrecumbent.com/products.html , they make titanium
frame bikes with 20" wheels.