700 x 25 vs. 700 x 23

Old September 1st 05, 06:30 PM
Hell and High Water

Default 700 x 25 vs. 700 x 23

In article .com,
says...

Hell and High Water wrote:

I guess I have thes e goals:

1. Easier Rolling. (I need all the help I can get.)

2. As 'puncture resistant' as possible.

3. As 'long lasting' as possible.

4. Cost is 4th.

5. Would prefer the color RED, as that's what I've got now....

Ha ha, unfortunately these are all incompatible, except 2 with 3; and,
to a lesser extent 1&3 with 4; and to a much lesser extent, 2 with 4.

#5 is incompatible with 3, and also 4-

Dude, you're totally screwing up my algorithm....

;-)

I should have clarified, Red side-wall/black contact patch...

Anyway, again, I appreciate your help!!

-Bob

Old September 1st 05, 07:12 PM
Hell and High Water

In article ,
says...

So.....

I currently ride on:

Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 (Kevlar?)

And I'm thinking of switching to

Michelin Carbon 700 x 23 (red/black/red)

What would I be gaining?
What would I be losing?

THANKS!

-Bob

Old September 1st 05, 07:23 PM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"41" wrote:

Hell and High Water wrote:

Here's the deal:

I had two flats the other day on a thirty mile ride. Pretty
frustrating, so I swapped tubes, and I'm now riding on Specialized
'Airlock' tubes.

Slightly more weight, I've been told, but as you can guess, I feel no
difference what-so-ever.

If I DO continue to get flats, (new paved trail I found) I plan to
possibly try the Specialized Armadillo tires.

LBS guys said I might want to switch from 25 (my current Vittorio's) to
23 to 'somewhat make up for the added weight.'

He's crazy, since as you report you can't feel any difference with the
added weight anyway. Someone here can point you to many web pages which
will calculate for you that the "added weight" really is of no
importance, just as you surmise.

I don't think you'd be happy with the Armadillos. Have you felt them in
the store? They are incredibly stiff. This means hard to pedal and not
the greatest ride either.

For more flat resistance, you can only ride more carefully or get a
thicker or tougher tire. In 25, Michelin Carbon is quite thick and the
rubber fairly hard/tough. It also has an extra casing ply. The thicker
and tougher the rubber or casing, the harder to pedal. Michelin Carbon,
Avocet 25, Conti Ultra 2000, all have good reputations for the right
compromise, if this is the size you are interested in. I believe
Michelin Carbon would have the most rolling resistance and most
puncture resistance of this group- how much the difference would be
either way and whether it would matter, sorry don't know. I ride 32
anyway.

To really prevent flats you need a very thick (like Conti Top Touring
or Schwalbe Marathon Plus) or tough (like Armadillo) tire, or
combination of the two, like Vittoria Randonneur- all of these are
way way harder to pedal, the Armadillo being one of the most extreme in
both puncture resistance and effort to pedal.

A puncture resistant tire that is less extreme and rolls
well is the Serfas.

--
Michael Press
Old September 1st 05, 09:16 PM

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:12:48 -0500, Hell and High Water
wrote:

In article ,
says...

So.....

I currently ride on:

Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 (Kevlar?)

And I'm thinking of switching to

Michelin Carbon 700 x 23 (red/black/red)

What would I be gaining?
What would I be losing?

THANKS!

-Bob

Dear Bob,

If the new tire really is 2 mm narrower, you'll probably
inflate it more and notice a harsher ride.

This often gives people the mistaken impression of increased
speed, just as driving a bouncy jeep down a highway seems
faster than driving a sedan with good suspension, even
though both are going the same 60 mph. (The analogy is from
Zinn.)

The other differences between the two tires are unlikely to
be measureable in ordinary riding. The rolling resistance,
wind drag, and weight are all so small to start with and so
close to each other that the results are likely to be about
what you'd expect if you removed a hood ornament from a car
and tried to measure the increase in top speed or gas
mileage.

For example, in most tire width discussions, we talk about
speed and ride comfort, but it's rare that anyone talks
about any theoretical wear-rate difference.

But it's fun to try to new tires and ponder what difference
they make.

Carl Fogel
Old September 1st 05, 09:42 PM
Bob Cooper

I put 23, 25 and 28 Conti tires -- can't remember which ones, but they
were all the same model -- on the same model rims and inflated to the
recommened pressures.

The 23 measured 23 in cross section with my calipers; the 25 measured
24 and the 28 measured 25.

Hope this helps,

Bob Cooper