plotting gps data from bike rides

Old August 17th 05, 04:16 AM

Default plotting gps data from bike rides

Hi,

A couple of weeks back I started building web pages where people can
plot their GPS data. I've used it to plot maps of mountain bike trails
(http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount1.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount2.html), as
well as bike tours (including showing my speed throughout the tour)
(http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay3.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay4.html). There
are more features coming, but so far I think it looks pretty cool.

JT

Old August 17th 05, 09:36 PM
angus

A couple of weeks back I started building web pages where people can
plot their GPS data. I've used it to plot maps of mountain bike trails
(http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount1.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount2.html), as
well as bike tours (including showing my speed throughout the tour)
(http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay3.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay4.html). There
are more features coming, but so far I think it looks pretty cool.

Hi JT,

Very clever. I've been seeking an excuse to buy a GPS. This could be as
good a reason as any.

But how can you print the results other than by screen dump?

Angus
Old August 19th 05, 09:21 PM

I recently got a Garmin Forerunner 301 wrist-mounted GPS with a heart
rate monitor. There is also an optional bicycle mount for it. I like
the GPS.

This page (home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/ForeRunner201.htm) has links to
a number of GPS mapping programs. Last night I downloaded a demo
version of TopoFusion http://www.topofusion.com/ and used it to
overlay the previous night's run on a satellite map from Microsoft's
TerraServer. It will output a JPG. It took about 30 minutes start to
finish. Now that it is installed and I know how to use it, the next
one should take about 2 minutes.

Here's the result:
http://www.davewilson.cc/Misc/Blosxo...s/wedsHash.jpg

I might actually buy the program so I can get the "Demo" overlay off
the map.

Dave
www.davewilson.cc

Old August 19th 05, 09:52 PM
peter

Last night I downloaded a demo
version of TopoFusion http://www.topofusion.com/ and used it to
overlay the previous night's run on a satellite map from Microsoft's
TerraServer.

Another option is the USAPhotoMaps program at:
http://jdmcox.com
This tracklog is from a hike, but bike rides work as well.
Overlaid on USGS topo map:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/Screen10.jpg
and a small portion overlaid on aerial photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/Screen09.jpg

Old August 19th 05, 10:32 PM
Andrew W

Fantastic.

Thanks for sharing this. It looks just the job for publishing rides so
that everyone can see them, not just fellow GPS users.

Andrew

Old August 22nd 05, 12:10 AM
Jason Spaceman

(
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount1.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount2.html), as
well as bike tours (including showing my speed throughout the tour)
(http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay3.html,
http://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...rKidsDay4.html). There
are more features coming, but so far I think it looks pretty cool.

JT

Hmmmm, is that Columbus Rd. (north of Oshawa) that you rode during the
Tour For Kids? I was probably riding just to the north of you, on
Howden Rd.

J. Spaceman

Old September 2nd 05, 04:18 AM

Jason,

Yup, it was Columbus road. You have to zoom in pretty close for that
name to show up

So, I guess you never noticed the group of 150 bikers or so?

JT