The lorry lens to stop cyclists being killed

Old October 2nd 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default The lorry lens to stop cyclists being killed

This should help cyclists and pedestrians:-

http://tinyurl.com/4l49jx

A truckers' group seems to welcome them:-

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36317

"New legislation due to be enforced on 31st March 2009 states that all
vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must be fitted with blind spot safety
mirrors":-

http://www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk/

Old October 2nd 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Squashme wrote:
This should help cyclists and pedestrians:-

http://tinyurl.com/4l49jx

A truckers' group seems to welcome them:-

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36317

"New legislation due to be enforced on 31st March 2009 states that all
vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must be fitted with blind spot safety
mirrors":-

http://www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk/

Is there any legislation planned to force drivers to use them, or to not
look at their mobile/satnav/paperwork whilst driving?
Old October 2nd 08, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:17:17 +0100, Marc
wrote:

Squashme wrote:
This should help cyclists and pedestrians:-

http://tinyurl.com/4l49jx

A truckers' group seems to welcome them:-

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36317

"New legislation due to be enforced on 31st March 2009 states that all
vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must be fitted with blind spot safety
mirrors":-

http://www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk/

Is there any legislation planned to force drivers to use them, or to not
look at their mobile/satnav/paperwork whilst driving?

Hello Round - is there any planned legislation for stopping ****wits
like you posting rubbish?

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit

heads. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Chapman) - proven to be an outright lie.
He then quickly changed his web page - but "forgot" to change the date
of last amendment
Old October 2nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

On 2 Oct, 20:17, Marc wrote:
Squashme wrote:
This should help cyclists and pedestrians:-

http://tinyurl.com/4l49jx

A truckers' group seems to welcome them:-

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36317

"New legislation due to be enforced on 31st March 2009 states that all
vehicles over 3.5 tonnes must be fitted with blind spot safety
mirrors":-

http://www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk/

Is there any legislation planned to force drivers to use them, or to not
look at their mobile/satnav/paperwork whilst driving?

Careless/dangerous driving laws
Old October 3rd 08, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

I suppose it can't hurt to have more trucks fitted with these things,
but that doesn't mean that cyclists should be complacent around these
juggernauts. In many cases, the cyclists have been squashed by pulling
up the the left hand side of these things at red lights and
roundabouts -- often encouraged by cycle lanes with advanced stop
boxes that encourage just such maneuvers!

You need to be extremely wary of these beasts, to treat them like
dangerous animals, almost. I wish there was some way of warning
cyclists about the dangers of pulling up next to these trucks. I see
many trucks with signs on the back warning of the dangers, but this
doesn't seem to be enough.

Cycle training might help, but the only cycle training that's given to
lots of people, the cycle safety course offered to kids in year 6,
only covers the most basic stuff (I think, I don't know the entire
curriculum). I don't think it covers the dangers of pulling up to the
left of vehicles (esap big trucks and busses) at red lights.

-Myra
Old October 3rd 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Myra in Cambridge wrote:

You need to be extremely wary of these beasts, to treat them like
dangerous animals, almost. I wish there was some way of warning
cyclists about the dangers of pulling up next to these trucks. I see
many trucks with signs on the back warning of the dangers, but this
doesn't seem to be enough.

Cycle training might help, but the only cycle training that's given to
lots of people, the cycle safety course offered to kids in year 6,
only covers the most basic stuff (I think, I don't know the entire
curriculum). I don't think it covers the dangers of pulling up to the
left of vehicles (esap big trucks and busses) at red lights.

Cycle training comes in different levels. The top of the line has
fairly extensive road smarts a la Cyclecraft which would certainly alert
a use to the danger on general principle, but as you say that's not
exactly universal.

The trick with a public information campaign would be to show training
as a positive without making folk think cycling is so dangerous they's
rather just not bother rather than get training...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 3rd 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"Myra in Cambridge" wrote in message
I suppose it can't hurt to have more trucks fitted with these things,
but that doesn't mean that cyclists should be complacent around these
juggernauts. In many cases, the cyclists have been squashed by pulling
up the the left hand side of these things at red lights and
roundabouts -- often encouraged by cycle lanes with advanced stop
boxes that encourage just such maneuvers!

On my daily ride I pass through a TL junction with a short cycle lane to the
left and an advance stop. There is usually space to pass traffic on the left
using the CL as the motor vehicles usually stay out of it (but not the AS).
I always prefer to filter past on the right as in many respects this is
safer, but in this case the space on the right is quite tight so I don't
bother but just sit in the queue. Personally I feel it would be better if
there was no cycle lane at all, that way, there might be enough space to
filter on the right. I do get the feeling though that most cyclists prefer
to filter pavement side, or just ride on the pavement.

Old October 3rd 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:17:31 +0100
"AndyC" wrote:

I do get the feeling though that most cyclists prefer to
filter pavement side, or just ride on the pavement.

They're not cyclists, they're pedestrians on bikes. :-)

Old October 3rd 08, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

"AndyC" writes:

filter on the right. I do get the feeling though that most cyclists prefer
to filter pavement side, or just ride on the pavement.

I *prefer* to filter on the offside, but so often there's more space
on the nearside to make that, bizarrely, the more prudent option.

I don't know why the cars insist on nestling up to the centre line,
unless they're trying to obstruct motorcyclists.

-dan
Old October 3rd 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:27:03 +0000 (UTC)
Roger Burton West wrote:

Daniel Barlow wrote:

I don't know why the cars insist on nestling up to the centre line,
unless they're trying to obstruct motorcyclists.

A lot of drivers don't seem to have a clear idea of just where the far
sides of their cars are - witness the queue before any width
restriction.

So true. Did you see the "Police Camera Action" that was shown a few
evenings ago (probably a repeat) where they got five experienced
drivers to retake their driving tests? They all seemed to make the
most amazing cock-up of the reverse parking exercise.