Images of Jobst's life

Old June 23rd 15, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Images of Jobst's life

Thanks, man!
Old June 24th 15, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 8:10:31 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://docs.google.com/presentation...dit#slide=id.p

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks much..
Best,
Larry
Old June 25th 15, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks a lot, Andrew. That was very nice.

I don't understand how Jobst could have taken some of his long, hard rides without carrying a water bottle.

Could somebody explain how to do that?
Old June 25th 15, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:42:41 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Thanks a lot, Andrew. That was very nice.

I don't understand how Jobst could have taken some of his long, hard rides without carrying a water bottle.

Could somebody explain how to do that?

Well spotted. Jobst knew where to find water. Check the picture at
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/archives/4954
It's from Tom Ritchey's memorial to Jobst; you can link through to that.

Andre Jute
Old June 25th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 4:24:51 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:42:41 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Thanks a lot, Andrew. That was very nice.

I don't understand how Jobst could have taken some of his long, hard rides without carrying a water bottle.

Could somebody explain how to do that?

Well spotted. Jobst knew where to find water. Check the picture at
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/archives/4954
It's from Tom Ritchey's memorial to Jobst; you can link through to that.

Andre Jute

Yes, he stopped. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.bicycles.tech/jobst$20grant$20ranch$20bottle/rec.bicycles.tech/poK-tjxSByU/zJFWOv0X-lUJ

It can get really hot on that climb. The last ten miles from Grant Ranch to the top of Mount Hamilton have some tree cover in places, but not much. http://www.strava.com/segments/mt-ha...-to-top-643961 No way I could do that on a few gulps of water on a summer day. The guy was a camel.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 25th 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tom Ritchie's site, I think it was, it was said that Jobst liked neither air-cooled automobile engines nor torsion bars. While I understand his basic reason for not liking air cooling (air isn't as good a cooling medium as water), I would like to read what Jobst had to say about the subject. Also, since all of my cars have torsion bars, and they seem like a good idea to me, I would like to know why Jobst didn't like them. Does anybody know if these monographs are available on the net? Thanks.
Old June 25th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/25/2015 1:52 PM, wrote:
On Tom Ritchie's site, I think it was, it was said that Jobst liked neither air-cooled automobile engines nor torsion bars. While I understand his basic reason for not liking air cooling (air isn't as good a cooling medium as water), I would like to read what Jobst had to say about the subject. Also, since all of my cars have torsion bars, and they seem like a good idea to me, I would like to know why Jobst didn't like them. Does anybody know if these monographs are available on the net? Thanks.

Could not find a monograph but here's some classic Jobst.
Many here will smile on reading his distinctive style:

"Porsche, through their years of rear engine cars had
developed a great
understanding of chassis design that was in ways ahead of some
competitors mainly because these cars were so difficult to
handle. As
a reaction, much effort was expended in that field to good
advantage.
Intense effort and good teamwork made the effort successful,
not air
cooling. You'll note that the TAG V-6 was not air cooled
nor were
subsequent racing engines. There never was a good reason
for air
cooling nor the torsion bars and swing axles other than they
were the
rage when the VW was conceived. The success of the VW made many
people believe that this was the way to build cars. They
were labor
intensive and required individual craftsmanship make them
work. Most
companies, other than the ones who felt it part of their
identity, got
off that track in a hurry. Porsche even used mixed cooling
with water
on the heads, air on the cylinders and oil, to bridge the gap.

Jobst, you sound like what you are; a bitter ex-employee.

You may see it that way but I enjoyed the time I spent there
because I
learned much. If you don't make mistakes you don't learn.
I came
into the job believing in the excellence of the concept and
gradually
learned about the problems they had and how they were solved.

Please stop diminishing the value of your contributions

in order to
maintain your exaggerated ego.

You may be expecting more value from my contributions than
is there at
the expense of the ones with which you disagree. I haven't
changed my
assessment of engineering as I see it, be that brakes, press
fits,
patching tires, drifting bicycles on pavement, or about the
traditions
at Porsche KG.

Your advise and opinions are more often than not helpful and
correct. It's your inability to accept that these

contributions
might be less than perfect that we're objecting to. I,

for one,
would not prefer that you go away, but that you lighten up.

I suspect you hold Porsche engineering in unduly high esteem
and that
I am an iconoclast. Over the years I have heard the tone of
reverence
by the followers, and understand that questioning any of
these beliefs
is blasphemy. Engineering efforts are often formed by
personalities
that have their fetishes. At Porsche the sacred cow was the
VW Beetle
and it was a long time in vanishing. The VW Company was
saved only by
Dr Fiala axing everything that was left of the Beetle, all
at once."
Jobst Brandt

from:
http://yarchive.net/car/porsche_vw_beetle.html
and much more from Jobst there.

Old June 25th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 8:01:57 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/25/2015 1:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Heh-heh! Superb! I used to drive and race Porsche from the 356 forward and Jobst was right, the swing arm is an abomination. But who cares if the aircooled engine is labour intensive. You don't buy a Porsche because it is a cheap car, you buy it among other things for the unburstable engine.

Andre Jute

RBT IMAGES datakoll Techniques 0 December 2nd 12 12:18 AM
RBT PHOTOS IMAGES kolldata Techniques 1 February 7th 12 05:35 PM
Those Xray images again Tony Raven[_2_] UK 4 October 16th 07 08:45 PM
Lo-res images for HRM Danny Colyer Unicycling 1 May 19th 07 01:00 AM
Images of Victorian cyclists [email protected] UK 28 November 22nd 05 01:17 PM