Nice Bike Lane!

Old June 25th 15, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Default Nice Bike Lane!

The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they feel
it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

Old June 25th 15, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-24 5:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
True, but I'd be so happy if they had the smarts to do this in
California. For example, there is a huge median on Highway 50..

Maybe I did not watch enough of the video, but I also came away
wondering how they get the riders on and off.... guessing some sort of
bridges at the on/off-ramps.

Probably at under/overpasses. But it can be scary. I have such a section
where there is a very long tunnel. Occasionally some not so desirable
folks hang out there and on such pathways you are essentially captive.
If they want to beat you up there is no escape route. It's ok if there
is sufficient traffic but can get dicey at night.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 25th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/06/15 10:13, Bertrand wrote:
The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they
feel it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

That would be if the infrastructure was also inferior. Who would
complain about riding on a road without cars?

--
JS
Old June 25th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2015-06-24 5:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
True, but I'd be so happy if they had the smarts to do this in
California. For example, there is a huge median on Highway 50..

Maybe I did not watch enough of the video, but I also came away
wondering how they get the riders on and off.... guessing some sort of
bridges at the on/off-ramps.

Probably at under/overpasses. But it can be scary. I have such a section
where there is a very long tunnel. Occasionally some not so desirable
folks hang out there and on such pathways you are essentially captive.
If they want to beat you up there is no escape route. It's ok if there
is sufficient traffic but can get dicey at night.

You must have laser beam headlights to be safe! Cut the scum in half!

--
JS
Old June 25th 15, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 2015-06-24 5:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
True, but I'd be so happy if they had the smarts to do this in
California. For example, there is a huge median on Highway 50..

Maybe I did not watch enough of the video, but I also came away
wondering how they get the riders on and off.... guessing some sort of
bridges at the on/off-ramps.

Probably at under/overpasses. But it can be scary. I have such a section
where there is a very long tunnel. Occasionally some not so desirable
folks hang out there and on such pathways you are essentially captive.
If they want to beat you up there is no escape route. It's ok if there
is sufficient traffic but can get dicey at night.

For pedestrians, city planners are starting to work this out, and rather
than putting the people in a subway or on a bridge, put the motor
traffic in a tunnel. Costs though.

Old June 25th 15, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James wrote:
On 25/06/15 10:13, Bertrand wrote:
The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they
feel it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

That would be if the infrastructure was also inferior. Who would
complain about riding on a road without cars?

I'm sure some would.

--
duane
Old June 25th 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2015-06-24 5:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
True, but I'd be so happy if they had the smarts to do this in
California. For example, there is a huge median on Highway 50..

Maybe I did not watch enough of the video, but I also came away
wondering how they get the riders on and off.... guessing some sort of
bridges at the on/off-ramps.

Probably at under/overpasses. But it can be scary. I have such a section
where there is a very long tunnel. Occasionally some not so desirable
folks hang out there and on such pathways you are essentially captive.
If they want to beat you up there is no escape route. It's ok if there
is sufficient traffic but can get dicey at night.

For pedestrians, city planners are starting to work this out, and rather
than putting the people in a subway or on a bridge, put the motor
traffic in a tunnel. Costs though.

They just did one of those in Boston. Yes, it definitely costs. It
costs an astonishing amount.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 25th 15, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

sms wrote:
http://expandedconsciousness.com/2015/06/19/solarpanel-bike-lane-inspires/

Certainly beats the one in the Netherlands (I think) where the solar panels
were inlaid into a tempered glass road surface. Incredibly costly per km.
Old June 25th 15, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On 2015-06-24 5:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
[...]

But bicyclists, caring greatly about their own safety, would naturally
be interested in proposed new cycling infra-structure.

I should think that a referendum added to the next local election, to
approve a bond issue (and resultant slight increase in local taxes),
to fund this new infrastructure would likely meet the approval of the
cycling world.

The Big Dig, in Boston, was estimated by The Boston Globe to
ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it will not
be paid off until 2038.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 25th 15, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/24/2015 5:13 PM, Bertrand wrote:
The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they
feel it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

Anyone that thinks that way is pretty clueless.

Cop Blocks Bike Lane To Ticket Cyclists For Not Using Lane Jens Müller[_3_] Social Issues 14 November 6th 10 12:41 AM
Station St bike lane Bonbeach: cars parked in bike lane AndrewJ Australia 8 March 30th 06 10:37 AM
Nice Bike Lane. David Ferguson Racing 0 July 2nd 05 12:18 PM
Bike Lane vs Wide outside Lane - benefit to AUTOS? [email protected] Techniques 29 June 8th 05 10:07 PM
When is a bike lane not a bike lane? DaveB Australia 17 February 14th 04 07:36 PM