Nice Bike Lane!

Old June 25th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Nice Bike Lane!

On 2015-06-24 1:39 PM, sms wrote:
http://expandedconsciousness.com/2015/06/19/solarpanel-bike-lane-inspires/

Best of all, people are using it. Nice.

Regarding the width we can do better. Here is one in Folsom (California):

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Bikelane1.JPG

That's a 2m or 6-3/4" measuring stick I laid in front of the camera.
Makes my road bike look like a little toy. The northbound bike lane is
of same width.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Damn, that's one wide bike lane -- but obviously necessary to handle all the bike traffic.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 25th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-24 1:39 PM, sms wrote:
http://expandedconsciousness.com/2015/06/19/solarpanel-bike-lane-inspires/

Best of all, people are using it. Nice.

Regarding the width we can do better. Here is one in Folsom (California):

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Bikelane1.JPG

That's a 2m or 6-3/4" measuring stick I laid in front of the camera.
Makes my road bike look like a little toy. The northbound bike lane is
of same width.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Damn, that's one wide bike lane -- but obviously necessary to handle all the bike traffic.

This area also has a nice bike path system and some people have bought
homes there for that very reason. The best is that I regularly see kids
from the local high school ride home by bicycle instead of in a
schoolbus with its dirty Diesel engine or with soccer mom. Just like I
did in my youth. The high school in our town only has a dangerous
no-shoulder road going there and the number of kids cycling to school
is, therefore, zero.

Old June 25th 15, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

sms wrote:
On 6/24/2015 5:13 PM, Bertrand wrote:
The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they
feel it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

Anyone that thinks that way is pretty clueless.

Some people are pretty clueless. Some have their own agendas.

--
duane
Old June 25th 15, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2015-06-24 1:39 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I rode to school in California all the way through grad school -- except for the first part of kindergarten when I was at Lexington School. At five, I couldn't hack the climb into the mountains. http://www.losgatosca.gov/1524/Lexington-School

IMO, ridership has very little to do with the safety of roadways and much to do with overly protective parents and lazy children.

My son rode to middle school on this shoulder-less and busy road. http://tinyurl.com/pebvg3q It actually worried me, but it was the only route that did not involve some serious climbing (and it still had one steep climb).
Eastside kids had it easy -- throw some sharrows on a few flat streets, and shazam! A bike facility. https://vimeo.com/78517554

I was riding with my son last month and noticed that he rides out in the road further than I do -- in fact, I told him to pull in a little on Emigration Canyon. http://360panos.com/panos/EmigrationCnynTwo.php (imagine old dude on fat tire suspended 29er clinging to the wheel of a fit 19 year old on a road bike). http://www.sugarhouseutah.com/sugarh...EastCanyon.jpg He is amazingly comfortable in traffic, although like me, he does get tired of it after a while. He also spins up climbs -- I don't know where that came from. Most kids grind. I did.

Bike lanes are good. I like bike lanes, but one needs to learn to ride in traffic because the world is not one, seamless web of bike lanes. Most cities can not afford the Great Wall of China-ish bike lane you have near Folsom. There is not that much dirt/right-of-way available in most urban areas.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 25th 15, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bertrand:
I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they feel
it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

In the sense of kinetic energy and negative sanctions against abusers,
cyclists *are* inferior.

OK.... "Inferior" is not the right word, but the marine concept of
"Right-of-Way of Tonnage" comes to mind.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 25th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-24 1:39 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

It would worry me as a parent if that was a road like ours where people
go 50mph or more. Some of them while glancing at their cell phone
screen, others with sleeping pills that haven't worn off yet, others who
are already 5mins behind and have a nasty boss who really despises
tardiness, and so on.

... but it was the
only route that did not involve some serious climbing (and it still
had one steep climb). Eastside kids had it easy -- throw some
sharrows on a few flat streets, and shazam! A bike facility.
https://vimeo.com/78517554

There you have safety through numbers. The problems arise when there's
only the occasional cyclist behind a curve and the car driver has an "Oh
s..t!" moment because a cement truck comes along in the other direction.
I have witnessed an accident like that as a kid.

I was riding with my son last month and noticed that he rides out in
the road further than I do -- in fact, I told him to pull in a little
on Emigration Canyon. http://360panos.com/panos/EmigrationCnynTwo.php
(imagine old dude on fat tire suspended 29er clinging to the wheel of
a fit 19 year old on a road bike).

Riding into the road can be ok. Until some not very sober low-life comes
by who gets ****ed about it. Or behind a curve where they can't see you.
Not a prudent way of riding.

http://www.sugarhouseutah.com/sugarh...EastCanyon.jpg
He is amazingly comfortable in traffic, although like me, he does get
tired of it after a while. He also spins up climbs -- I don't know
where that came from. Most kids grind. I did.

I don't like climbs. But I've occasionally passed road bikers on my 29"
MTB while going uphill, all caked it mud. They did not like that.

Bike lanes are good. I like bike lanes, but one needs to learn to
ride in traffic because the world is not one, seamless web of bike
lanes. Most cities can not afford the Great Wall of China-ish bike
lane you have near Folsom. There is not that much dirt/right-of-way
available in most urban areas.

That is one reason why I prefer to live in the country. The farther out
you get the less bike paths or lanes, unfortunately. However, there are
more dirt roads and singletrack and that's even better, it's my favorite
turf.

Old June 25th 15, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/25/2015 8:58 AM, sms wrote:
On 6/24/2015 5:13 PM, Bertrand wrote:
The only reason people dislike bicycling infrastructure is when it is
done so badly that using it becomes more hazardous or less convenient
than the already existing roads.

I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they
feel it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

Anyone that thinks that way is pretty clueless.

If a piece of bicycle infrastructure is mandated (i.e. with a "mandatory
sidepath" law) it certainly can treat cyclists as inferior to drivers.

North Dakota has a statewide mandatory sidepath law, or at least, it did
last time we rode there. At one point, heading west out of Bismarck, we
were forced onto a mandatory sidepath that (AFAICT) had no signs warning
about its beginning. It eventually became a sidewalk bike path on the
wrong side of the road, with all the dangers those impose. Then it
swung away into a park, where we had no intention of going; but we
followed it just to see how far the unreasonableness would extend.

Turns out it extended until the path ended in muddy construction. Its
use was mandatory, but I assume we would have been allowed to leave it
at some point, had we known where it went. Of course, being from
outside the area, there was no way for us to know.

But according to some folks posting in this forum, any complaint about
such senselessness is called "an agenda."

The corollary, I suppose, is "Any bike facility is a good bike facility."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 25th 15, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:05:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

I don't like climbs. But I've occasionally passed road bikers on my 29"
MTB while going uphill, all caked it mud. They did not like that.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

How many stsges in the Giro di Italia or The Tour de France or any of the other Grand Tours have you won?

Cheers
Old June 25th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-25 1:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 3:05:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

I don't like climbs. But I've occasionally passed road bikers on my 29"
MTB while going uphill, all caked it mud. They did not like that.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

How many stsges in the Giro di Italia or The Tour de France or any of the other Grand Tours have you won?

None. Why?

They wouldn't let me start in my old jeans shorts and T-shirt :-)

Old June 26th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:50:58 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Bertrand:
I think that some people dislike bicycling infrastructure because they feel
it treats cyclists as inferior to drivers.

In the sense of kinetic energy and negative sanctions against abusers,
cyclists *are* inferior.

OK.... "Inferior" is not the right word, but the marine concept of
"Right-of-Way of Tonnage" comes to mind.

Apparently the boat people face the reality that a big boat is hard to
stop :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Cop Blocks Bike Lane To Ticket Cyclists For Not Using Lane Jens Müller[_3_] Social Issues 14 November 6th 10 12:41 AM
Station St bike lane Bonbeach: cars parked in bike lane AndrewJ Australia 8 March 30th 06 10:37 AM
Nice Bike Lane. David Ferguson Racing 0 July 2nd 05 12:18 PM
Bike Lane vs Wide outside Lane - benefit to AUTOS? [email protected] Techniques 29 June 8th 05 10:07 PM
When is a bike lane not a bike lane? DaveB Australia 17 February 14th 04 07:36 PM