number of links in Shimano 1S chain

Old June 6th 17, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default number of links in Shimano 1S chain

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 00:12:11 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

According to the Maraton manual, the chain
should move vertically 10-12 mm which is
difficult to achieve.

Getting the wheel straight isn't easy either
unless there is some method I'm unaware of.

The way we did it when I was a kid was to tie a string to the front of
the front wheel rim and then stretch across the tire and back to the
rear of the rear wheel rim. Turn the front wheel until the string just
touched the side of the front tire on both the forward and rear side
of the tire. Then adjust the rear wheel to match. Think of the
stretched string as just a long straight-edge

We usually adjusted the wheel for chain tension and then aligned the
two wheels. And then check the chain tension again :-)

I've experimenting with different ideas, e.g.
using two ring wrenches to pull at the same
time to minimize the wheel movement from
pulling the nuts.

Also I thought of locking the nuts almost but
not entirely, then use a soft hammer to perfect
alignment, then pull shut.

It seems there is always some barely-but-still
detectable imperfection visible from some point
of view or the other...

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 7th 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Thanks for all pointers. I was excited to try
them out today but for whatever reason this
time there were no problems getting the chain
tense and the wheel align. If anyone manages to
figure it out how it all works he is a smarter
person than me.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 7th 17, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 05:54:17 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Thanks for all pointers. I was excited to try
them out today but for whatever reason this
time there were no problems getting the chain
tense and the wheel align. If anyone manages to
figure it out how it all works he is a smarter
person than me.

See, you are learning :-) :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Counting chain links Dieter Britz[_4_] Techniques 10 November 20th 12 03:20 PM
Odd links on chain Owen Techniques 3 May 28th 08 02:35 AM
Good links to shocking picture of cracking chain links Ivar Hesselager Techniques 4 January 25th 08 03:31 AM
5 6 7 8 sp chain links Ken Marcet Techniques 12 January 30th 05 09:35 PM
New York Times, and a number of links to Tyler in the news. Sierraman Racing 10 September 24th 04 04:23 PM