Oregon Gets Idaho Stop Law -- Probably

Old July 1st 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Oregon Gets Idaho Stop Law -- Probably

https://bikeportland.org/tag/idaho-stop-law The governor has to sign it, but I don't know why she wouldn't. I don't think PPB has ever enforced hard stops -- except maybe as a pretext. The only real enforcement was by officious motorists. It's amazing Idaho is so permissive. I think they still prohibit dancing on Sunday.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 1st 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/1/2019 8:46 AM, jbeattie wrote:
https://bikeportland.org/tag/idaho-stop-law The governor has to sign it, but I don't know why she wouldn't. I don't think PPB has ever enforced hard stops -- except maybe as a pretext. The only real enforcement was by officious motorists. It's amazing Idaho is so permissive. I think they still prohibit dancing on Sunday.

-- Jay Beattie.

Don't bet on that as of this morning!

Amidst a legislative deadlock, the normally automatic
renewal of Idaho Statutes didn't happen.

The Governor can administratively sustain the statutes and
so he's taken the opportunity, at some expense of time and
attention, to edit out 900 pages of drivel[1] from the Idaho
code.

This ought to happen more often in more places to clean up
laws on subjects such as dancing on Sunday and the like.

[1] such as a 1993 section specifying details of a televised
lottery which never actually happened, a 1961 vetrinarian
dress code, a 1998 snail ban and regulations on acceptable
colors of clothing for female kickboxers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 1st 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/1/2019 9:46 AM, jbeattie wrote:
https://bikeportland.org/tag/idaho-stop-law The governor has to sign it, but I don't know why she wouldn't. I don't think PPB has ever enforced hard stops -- except maybe as a pretext. The only real enforcement was by officious motorists. It's amazing Idaho is so permissive. I think they still prohibit dancing on Sunday.

As written, the law still requires the cyclist to _slow_ the bicycle to
a safe speed. Hmm... what if the bicycle was already at a safe speed?
Would it have to slow anyway?

I know of stop signs - probably unwarranted ones - where visibility is
perfect, traffic usually nonexistent, and where I don't bother to slow
much if at all.

I would do some "stopping theater" if I saw a cop car. But I wonder if
any Oregon cops would stop someone for not slowing.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 1st 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:00:31 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Careful there. It's Idaho regulations and not statutes. Unless statutes have built-in sunset clauses, they cannot be repealed without a vote -- and statutes with sunset clauses are rare, even in Idaho. Imagine a criminal code or vehicle code with a missed sunset clause. Woohoo, I can murder you with my car on Tuesday. Seems like a good movie plot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge

Idaho has a weird law relating to administrative regulations where the whole Idaho Administrative Code sunsets unless it is readopted. https://www.mercatus.org/bridge/comm...egulatory-code The whole code -- right down to how you get a driver's license or performance standards for hospitals. It's really quite stupid in two respects -- first, that the legislature is required to authorize or reauthorize administrative regulations that are adopted by (drum roll please) administrative agencies according to a legislative mandate after notice and comment, and second, that the agencies themselves are not policing their regulations. In most civilized states, the agencies weed out regulations that are no longer tied to a statute or appropriation -- e.g. lottery rules with no lottery. It's not rocket science.

As for dancing on Sunday, repealing blue laws does not occur with a waive of the hand in conservative states. Idaho has slowly crept towards allowing alcohol sales on Sunday and holidays. https://magicvalley.com/news/local/g...6b17a24cb.html I love this quote: “People are able to buy guns every day. Why shouldn’t you be able to buy a shot, or liquor?” Idaho is a hyper-regulator when it comes to licensing the sale of alcohol. When it comes to laws and regulation, its really about which ones you like and which ones you don't. Most states have abundant amounts of both.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 1st 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/1/2019 10:44 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thanks, you're right. I went back and read the item and
yes,it's the administrative regulations which sunset.

Old July 1st 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 06:46:00 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

https://bikeportland.org/tag/idaho-stop-law The governor has to sign it, but I don't know why she wouldn't. I don't think PPB has ever enforced hard stops -- except maybe as a pretext. The only real enforcement was by officious motorists. It's amazing Idaho is so permissive. I think they still prohibit dancing on Sunday.

-- Jay Beattie.

The text is rather interesting:
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB998
The definition of a bicycle is probably inscribed elsewhere. My
guess(tm) is that anything with 2 or 3 wheels, with or without a
motor, will magically be considered a bicycle for the purpose of
legally running a stop sign. The list of acceptable and unacceptable
situations (Section 2) seems to say that it's ok as long as one
doesn't cause an accident, go the wrong way on a one way street,
ignore a flashing red light, etc. I'm sure the list will eventually
expand to accommodate exceptions and oversights.

I'm not sure how Oregon calculates a "safe speed" for cycling. Reading
between the lines, it would seem to be any speed that doesn't cause an
accident. There might be some confusion as motorists become
accustomed to cyclists flying past stop signs. Perhaps a smaller stop
sign, in eco green, exclusively for cyclists? Instead of "STOP" it
might say "SLOWER" or "GODD LUCK".

Looks like all SB998 does is codify current cycling (and driving)
practices.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 2nd 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 09:00:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Some time in the late 1940's the New Hampshire Legislature undertook a
review of all state laws with the object of removing those that were
no longer applicable or topical. I remember that at one time most
shops and business were prohibited by law from opening on Sunday. Than
the law was repealed and every one was open :-)
--
cheers,

John B.