Before I make myself look stupid...SON lights

Old November 26th 04, 09:51 AM
Richard Bates

Default Before I make myself look stupid...SON lights

My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

Is it?

TIA

Old November 26th 04, 10:34 AM
m-gineering

Richard Bates wrote:

My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

Is it?

TIA

I don't think SON do an english manual, but then ( i have found )
there is nothing to stop an importer of doing one in an alternative
language.

You'll find a step by step instructions on
www.m-gineering.nl/sondualg.htm ,
theory on www.m-gineering.nl/son12vg.htm

If you can read german there is a scan of the german manual on
www.m-gineering.nl/sondownload.htm

whatever, don't test the SON e6z without another lamp in series, this
could blow the bulb

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old November 26th 04, 06:56 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Richard Bates wrote:
My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

They have no bracket, but all German dynamo lights use a standard
fitting. Buy a B&M one (CTC shop). There should be an instruction
sheet though - mine had one although it's a normal E6.
Old November 26th 04, 10:07 PM
Andrew Chadwick

On 2004-11-26 09:51 +0000, Richard Bates wrote:
My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

Sounds awfully familiar - mine arrived today too. Took two phone calls
before I had a clear idea of when the thing was going to arrive. Wish
there was someone other than SJS importing fancy German lighting kit.

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

The destructions can be found behind the links in Marten's reply (posts
as m-gineering). That's what I've used to test the lamp, and it works
fine.

I'm currently fettling a tmp.bracket to go on the lowrider mount out of an
old B&M bracket and some reflactor bracket parts. There are commercial
alternatives too, and they probably have the advantage that they don't
need quite as much superglue:

- For handlebars, the R&M bracket on http://www.m-gineering.nl/sondualg.htm

- For forks, you need a little clearance to either side:

- A Cronometro NOB and something else:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/dualsetupfork.htm

- The Rixen/Kaul MiniMount: http://www.klickfix.com/minimounte.htm

They both stick out to either side by what looks like enough to mount
the lamp without it hitting the spokes or rims.

There's also a thread on the SJS site which seemed useful:
http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121

--
Andrew Chadwick
Old November 27th 04, 12:33 PM
Simon Proven

Richard Bates wrote:
My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

Is it?

TIA

Mine came with instructions, but no mounting bracket. I ordered
a bracket separately.

I think there's information on what to do at m-engineering.nl.

http://www.m-gineering.nl/sondualg.htm

The wiring for the E6-Z couldn't be simpler: you unclip one
of the connectors from the SON, clip it over the special
connector from the E6-Z (the one that has a doubled back
spade connector) and put the other connector from the E6-Z
back on to the SON.

As for mounting it all, what I've done is put a handlebar
bracket (available from SJS) on, and adapted it to carry
two lights instead of one. I did something like the example
shown in the link above. It works well. I made the earth
connection for the rear light (which is powered by the E6
side of the circuit) by putting an eye on the end of the
threaded bolt and connecting this to the frame via one of
the gear cable mounting points on my frame. You can ignore
the stuff about the earth if you don't have a rear light
powered by the dynamo.

You should be able to adapt most light brackets in the same
way. Or you could do something easier, and just buy a second
bracket. The handlebar bracket is he

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item9884.htm

Note that the cables that come with a standard E6 won't
reach as high as the handlebars so you'd need to extend
them. You could have the E6-Z mounted up on the handlebars
and the E6 down on the fork crown (or wherever you have it
already).

It's a good idea to have the -Z up on the bars as it's easier
to switch it on and off then.

HTH

Simon
Old November 27th 04, 03:24 PM
Chris Gerhard

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:

My E6-Z lamp arrived yesterday (after SJS took my money despite them
being out of stock but not having the courtesy to inform me.).

It arrived without any mounting brackets, and without instructions. I
find it hard to believe that this is normal...

They have no bracket, but all German dynamo lights use a standard
fitting. Buy a B&M one (CTC shop). There should be an instruction
sheet though - mine had one although it's a normal E6.

It would seem from the CTC shop web site that you can no longer get them
there. In fact the shop seems to have taken a large leap down hill in
that it does not even seem to stock a SON and only offers one light.

I hope the lack of those useful bits it used to stock is only temporary.
Old November 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Richard Bates

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:33:57 GMT, Simon Proven

A most useful reply. Thanks!

Old November 28th 04, 01:14 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Chris Gerhard wrote:

It would seem from the CTC shop web site that you can no longer get them
there. In fact the shop seems to have taken a large leap down hill in
that it does not even seem to stock a SON and only offers one light.

I hope the lack of those useful bits it used to stock is only temporary.

Ah...look in the CTC magazine and you can still find the *old* CTC shop
trading under a new name!
Old November 28th 04, 07:14 PM
Chris Gerhard

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Ah...look in the CTC magazine and you can still find the *old* CTC shop
trading under a new name!

Oh that will be http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/ then. Seems odd to me that
our club shop should stop stocking things that are stocked by so few
other shops.

--chris