VDO wireless transmitter mount

Old September 1st 05, 04:11 AM
Bob

Default VDO wireless transmitter mount

Thinking of buying a new VDO C2DS wireless. Instruction manual says to mount transmitter on front fork with magnet on front wheel. I'd rather mount on rear so I can record speed while on the trainer. Does anyone have experience with this new VDO computer, with or without mounting the transmitter on the rear (but particularly with)?

Thanks in advance.

Old September 1st 05, 02:10 PM
Dave Thompson

Bob wrote:
Thinking of buying a new VDO C2DS wireless. Instruction manual says
to mount transmitter on front fork with magnet on front wheel. I'd
rather mount on rear so I can record speed while on the trainer. Does
anyone have experience with this new VDO computer, with or without
mounting the transmitter on the rear (but particularly with)?

Thanks in advance.

Most wireless transmitters are low power and have a very short range.
Mounting on the rear wheel is further away than the max range of the
transmitter, plus your body is blocking it too. During winter I mount a
cheap wired computer on my bikes rear wheel so I can count my mileage.

Old September 1st 05, 09:31 PM
Andrew Price

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 06:10:41 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

Most wireless transmitters are low power and have a very short range.
Mounting on the rear wheel is further away than the max range of the
transmitter, plus your body is blocking it too.

Not only that, but they are extremely susceptible to interference,
which can be very annoying for anyone using them to record total
mileage.
Old September 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
Jasper Janssen

wrote:

Most wireless transmitters are low power and have a very short range.
Mounting on the rear wheel is further away than the max range of the
transmitter, plus your body is blocking it too.

Not only that, but they are extremely susceptible to interference,
which can be very annoying for anyone using them to record total
mileage.

But you can't really blame them, if they were strong enough to register
from the rear, they'd also be strong enough to register from the fork of
your buddy next to you.

Jasper
Old September 2nd 05, 09:11 PM
Andrew Price

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:05:45 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

Not only that, but they are extremely susceptible to interference,
which can be very annoying for anyone using them to record total
mileage.

But you can't really blame them, if they were strong enough to register
from the rear, they'd also be strong enough to register from the fork of
your buddy next to you.

I must have expressed myself badly - what I meant to say was that they
are *already* too damn sensitive, as it is. The one I had used to
pick up from all sorts of sources.

I could practically never go into a shop with the thing in my pocket,
as the anti-theft barriers at the cash desk would make it joyfully
bound forward, anywhere from 100 metres or so to over 4 km!