USADA report "proves" Armstrong used drugs

Old October 10th 12, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
The Observer

Default USADA report "proves" Armstrong used drugs

http://news.yahoo.com/usada-report-p...3625--spt.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong and his team ran the most sophisticated
doping program in sport according to the United States Anti-Doping Agency
(USDA) which released its report on the case against the US Postal cycling
team on Wednesday.

USADA said it was sending the report, which was more than 1,000 pages long
and contained the sworn testimony of 26 people, including 15 riders, to the
International Cycling Union (UCI), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and
the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC), before making it available on its
website.

"The evidence shows beyond any doubt that the US Postal Service Pro Cycling
Team ran the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping
program that sport has ever seen," USADA said in a statement from chief
executive Travis Tygart.

"The evidence also includes direct documentary evidence including financial
payments, emails, scientific data and laboratory test results that further
prove the use, possession and distribution of performance enhancing drugs by
Lance Armstrong and confirm the disappointing truth about the deceptive
activities of the USPS Team, a team that received tens of millions of
American taxpayer dollars in funding."

Armstrong has denied cheating and never failed a doping test but the
seven-times Tour de France winner was banned for life by USADA in August
after announcing he would not fight the charges.

Armstrong's lawyers have repeatedly attacked the credibility of USADA's
case, describing the proceedings as a "kangaroo court" and a "witch hunt" on
the eve of Wednesday's release.

"USADA has continued its efforts to coerce and manufacture evidence from
other riders through threats and sweetheart deals and generated self-serving
media coverage through leaks and piecemeal release of tired, disproven
allegations," Armstrong's attorney, Timothy J. Herman, wrote in a letter to
USADA.

"This reasoned decision will be a farce... while USADA can put lipstick on a
pig, it still remains a pig."

USADA said the case against Armstrong and his team included eyewitness,
documentary, first-hand, scientific, direct and circumstantial evidence and
testimony from 11 former team mates.

Several former team mates have already spoken out publicly against Armstrong
but USADA named all 11 for the first time on Wednesday.

"The evidence demonstrates that the ‘Code of Silence' of performance
enhancing drug use in the sport of cycling has been shattered, but there is
more to do," USADA said.

"From day one, we always hoped this investigation would bring to a close
this troubling chapter in cycling's history and we hope the sport will use
this tragedy to prevent it from ever happening again," it added.

USADA identified the 11 team mates as: Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom
Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer,
Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David
Zabriskie.

"It took tremendous courage for the riders on the USPS Team and others to
come forward and speak truthfully. It is not easy to admit your mistakes and
accept your punishment," USADA said.

"But that is what these riders have done for the good of the sport, and for
the young riders who hope to one day reach their dreams without using
dangerous drugs or methods."

The UCI had been heavily critical of the American anti-doping body for not
releasing its findings sooner.

The UCI can appeal the decision to ban Armstrong for life, even though the
American decided not to fight the case, but the sport's world governing body
had not yet responded shortly after the USADA report was released.

(Additional reporting by Gene Cherry; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Old October 10th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

The wrote:
[...]

Let's see fatty McQuaid wriggle out of this one.
Old October 10th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Free Willy

"atriage" wrote in message
eb.com...

The wrote:
[...]

So far, all I see are opinions couched as facts.

The UCI will laugh at the USADA and well they should. The UCI oversees the
controls in the TDF and since Lance never failed to pass each and every
control. The USADA has no standing.

--
Willy Free

Old October 10th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mower Man

On 10/10/2012 9:23 PM, Free Willy wrote:
"atriage" wrote in message
eb.com...

The wrote:
[...]

This is becoming very, very silly.

Just who is in control? Who has control? Who decides?

--
Chris

'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.'

(Oscar Wilde.)
Old October 11th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Free Willy

"Mower Man" wrote in message
On 10/10/2012 9:23 PM, Free Willy wrote:
"atriage" wrote in message
eb.com...

The wrote:
[...]

The UCI decides when it comes to the Tour de France. They have their own
controls and employ WADA and abide by their own rules. The USADA trying to
take away Tour wins is tantamount to the NFL trying to take away wins from the
Lingerie Football league.

--
Willy Free

Old October 11th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Free Willy

"Free Willy" wrote in message
"Mower Man" wrote in message
On 10/10/2012 9:23 PM, Free Willy wrote:
"atriage" wrote in message
eb.com...

The wrote:
[...]

Let me correct the last sentence. I should have typed:

The USADA trying to take away Tour wins is tantamount to the Lingerie Football
League trying to take away wins of an NFL football team.

This better demonstrates the status difference between WADA and USADA.

--
Willy Free

Old October 11th 12, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Free Willy wrote:
The UCI decides when it comes to the Tour de France.

Pay no attention to the ASO behind the curtain.

Old October 11th 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Simply Fred a écrit profondement:

| Free Willy wrote:
| The UCI decides when it comes to the Tour de France.

| Pay no attention to the ASO behind the curtain.

Õr to the fact that WADA is an IOC spinoff (just so Dick wouldn´t cry
too much) and that the IOC decide what sports are and are not Olympic
Sports.

--
Davey Crockett

Old October 12th 12, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Red Cloud

On Oct 10, 1:23*pm, "Free Willy" wrote:
"atriage" wrote in message

eb.com...

The wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/usada-report-p...d-drugs-153323....
[...]

Why the hell Armstrong's former teammates admitted it? Why hell they
do that unless they knew Armstrong did dope and made a tons of the
money out of it as well as got fame and fortune. Landis admitted out
of the jealous? But 5 or 6 other
armstrong teammates also confessed using banned chemical. This can't
be untrue. ON top of that, I suspect that these guys did not care
about the moral or
ethical using banned chemical since they cared more about fame &
fortune.
Not going to jail for it anyway, so why not use dope! Hey I would do
the same!

Good Job Lance Armstrong!!!! He got caught but he won't go to jail for
it)))
Old October 12th 12, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Randall

I started reading the report and given how detailed the accounts were
I am starting to believe that Lance was probably guilty. It would
seem hard to fabricate such a big lie. It's possible however that the
witnesses were asked about specific instances and then coerced to lie.
It's hard to tell since the transcript were not available. The other
problem is that since Lance did not choose to contest the decision
there was no opportunity to cross examine them.