Dynamos - obsolete?

Old December 21st 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Dynamos - obsolete?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:43:54 +0100, (The Rev Gaston)
said in :

I wonder if the new bright LED's with
long run-times per battery have rendered the dynamo light obsolete.
My dynamo light is:
heavier than an LED
gives a less bright light
is more expensive
is more difficult to pedal

My dynamo light is none of these. It's a SON. And the light is an
LED (at one end), and can be at both ends, Michael has the new
D-Lumotec Topal and it's brighter than a bright thing.

You forgot to mention the run-time, by the way :-)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old December 21st 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

If it's an old dutch roadster it might have an old technology hub
dynamo.They used to cause some drag when off.I would pull the wires off
my sturmey archer hub in daylight and that made a noticable
difference.I have been told by someone here that the switch on those
shorted out the lights without disconnecting the dynamo.I wonder if
there are still some primitive types of dynamo out there in holland.
The only advantage of battery light is total removability.
TerryJ

Dynamos - obsolete? Jim Easterbrook UK 3 December 22nd 05 01:47 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Peter Clinch UK 3 December 22nd 05 08:07 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Nigel Cliffe UK 0 December 21st 05 07:48 PM
Obsolete size seatpost David Bentley UK 10 July 17th 05 05:55 AM
Bicycles are obsolete today ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Brian Raab Techniques 0 October 3rd 04 04:20 AM