Not falling over on ice

Old December 31st 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Not falling over on ice

I was out with my dogs for a bit this afternoon, and the paths and
trails were really icy. I unicycled down the path without a slip, and
got all the way round the ride without being affected by the ice. That
was until I stopped, as soon as I stepped off I tried to stand up, I
fell flat on my back!

How does that work then?

Is it because we are at the point of perfect balance when we are on a
unicycle? Or should we just carry on unicycling and forget about this
walking lark?

--
innes
innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123

Old December 31st 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

innes wrote:
I was out with my dogs for a bit this afternoon, and the paths and
trails were really icy. I unicycled down the path without a slip, and
got all the way round the ride without being affected by the ice. That
was until I stopped, as soon as I stepped off I tried to stand up, I
fell flat on my back!

How does that work then?

Is it because we are at the point of perfect balance when we are on a
unicycle? Or should we just carry on unicycling and forget about this
walking lark?

Prob something to do with the perfect balance on a flat surface but on
any slope this simply wouldnt be the case because you are leaning to
adjust yourself.
Screw walkin

Mike

--
swarbrim

add me at
swarbrim's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Old December 31st 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I noticed the same thing a week or so ago when our roads were
practically pure ice. I could unicycle on them quite easily but then
had trouble walking once I dismounted. Durr.

--
LikeableRodent
LikeableRodent's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10154

Old December 31st 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think it more has to do with you trying to stop with your foot down,
for me it works better if you step off with a bit of slide in your
step. Uni in back and dont try to stop on a dime as you wont have a
chance.

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H2O

* -------muni militia -------
one wheeled death squad*
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old January 1st 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Walking is a jerky motion, you are altering the forces through your feet
considerably and large forces are imparted when you put your foot down
on the floor. When riding at steady speed on the flat you are imparting
an almost constant force on the tyre, and this force is only enough to
counter your wind resistance, which is very small.

In short,
Walking: big force for small amount of time, causes foot to slip
Riding: small force continuously, force never exceeds limit of traction
so wheel never slips.

--
kington99

Dave

Old January 1st 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

This is really a very interesting phenomena. So I'm just plain chicken
to try on ice. How is it mounting on ice?

In reading other mention of this, the consensus was that studs aren't
even necessary.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old January 1st 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I was able to free mount quite easily on the ice, it was only getting
off that was the problem.

Old January 1st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

podzol wrote:
This is really a very interesting phenomena. So I'm just plain chicken
to try on ice. How is it mounting on ice?

In reading other mention of this, the consensus was that studs aren't
even necessary.

I've found that doing a rolling mount on ice works out quite nicely, as
it's slightly harder to speed up from a static without having the wheel
spin out.

While I've never unied with studded tires they don't seem too necessary
when you're cruising along in a straight line, but they're probably
quite useful if you ever feel like turning. Without them to turn you
either have to do it in a very wide arc or slow down quite a bit and
turn v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Old January 1st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The best way to mount on ice is to pretend you are carrying an open bowl
of eggnog and walking on... ice. Very smooth, no jerky motions.

One can ride on ice without studs. For a bigger "forgiveness
envelope", or for negotiating mild slopes, studs really help.

Check out http://tinyurl.com/d3hko for some ice riding photos and
text.

I have only used the homemade studded tire shown there, but it would be
cool to try a commercially available tire. Be a while, though, it's
t-shirt weather here in San Antonio!

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'