Do bicycles and cars mix?

Old December 10th 03, 02:27 AM
DTJ

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:13:43 GMT, "George Conklin"
wrote:

Uncovered is not uninsulated. They were not in a outer covering, like BX
or Romex. They were simply wires loose and held from moving around by
ceramic (often white) insulators nailed to the beams of the house.

Does anyone believe how stupid this guy is?
Old December 10th 03, 03:06 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article K8sBb.348403$275.1146126@attbi_s53,
Brent P wrote:
In article , Matthew Russotto wrote:

Aluminum wire doesn't fail in the wire runs; it fails at the receptacles,
switches, etc.

Which are in boxes if conduit is used.

They're in boxes if Romex is used too.
--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
Old December 10th 03, 03:38 AM
Brent P

In article . net, George Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article . net, George

Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message
newsvmBb.478810$HS4.3704337@attbi_s01...
In article . net,

George
Conklin wrote:

What is a total replacement? My daughter had a total plumbing
replacement. It was a type of plumbing which was known to fail and
flood
houses.

You didn't say that it was plumbing of inferior quality before, you
just left that out implying it was an age related failure.

Yes, 12 years is too old for much plastic plumbing. It is an
age-related issue. Your knowledge base is very little.

You don't get it. 12 years old is much too young to replace plumbing.
If were made out of proper materials and installed with good workmanship
it would last considerably longer. It was the use of cheap, poor
materials, that is in fact a design flaw.

Your knowledge base is very limited once again. You live in a very
limited world.

I note that you don't have a response. Material choice is a design
decision. If one doesn't get a decent life out of the material chosen,
it is a design flaw.

Old December 10th 03, 02:45 PM
Brandon Sommerville

wrote:

Uncovered is not uninsulated. They were not in a outer covering, like BX
or Romex. They were simply wires loose and held from moving around by
ceramic (often white) insulators nailed to the beams of the house.

Does anyone believe how stupid this guy is?

There was wiring like this in my basement when we moved in. The house
is 120 or so yrs old.
--
Brandon Sommerville
remove ".gov" to e-mail

Definition of "Lottery":
Millions of stupid people contributing
to make one stupid person look smart.
Old December 10th 03, 03:22 PM
George Conklin

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article . net, George

Conklin wrote:

[...]

All materials fail at some point. Some much faster than others. If you
have that grey pipe held with clamps you are in deep trouble. National
recalls cover only some of the houses. Otherwise, you need to do the job
yourself.

Old December 10th 03, 03:23 PM
George Conklin

s.com...

wrote:

Uncovered is not uninsulated. They were not in a outer covering,

like BX
or Romex. They were simply wires loose and held from moving around by
ceramic (often white) insulators nailed to the beams of the house.

Does anyone believe how stupid this guy is?

There was wiring like this in my basement when we moved in. The house
is 120 or so yrs old.
--
Brandon Sommerville
remove ".gov" to e-mail

There is still a lot of knob wiring around, but it is probably not 120
years old.

Old December 10th 03, 03:36 PM
Jym Dyer

Default Plumbing and Wiring

By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

=v= In other words, precisely what New Urbanism/Smart Growth
is advocating.
_Jym_
Old December 10th 03, 03:46 PM
Jym Dyer

Default Do bicycles and cars mix? (Sierra Club and Sprawl)

George Conklin on the Sierra Club:

It is all the same rap, Jym. It is just that the
anti-immigrant anti-growth movement was too open.

=v= You really have no clue what you're talking about. The
organizers of the Sierra Club's campaign against sprawl are
excellent people, one of whom I know personally. That means
nothing to you, of course, so I'll their work speak for itself:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sprawl/

=v= There has been a concerted effort by the anti-immigration
crowd to get the Club membership to support their goals. When
put on the ballot, the membership has voted it down. They made
an effort to climb onto the coattails of the popular campaign
against sprawl and were rebuffed there, too.
_Jym_
Old December 10th 03, 04:44 PM
Brent P

Conklin wrote:

[...]

First, you are wrong, not all materials fail at some point. Ever hear
of an endurance limit? This is the stress below which steel will *NEVER*
fail in fatigue. 2nd, everytime you mention a modern cheap and nasty
method used in newer homes you prove my point that old and well built
is better than new and poorly built. You simply accept crappy building
techniques that result in plumbing systems failing in 12 years that then
require total replacement. I don't accept that. I require better systems
that are servicable.

And that's the great thing about well made older things as well, they
weren't designed to wear out quick and then need replacement. They were
generally designed to last a long time and be servicable.