Lance blames fast food.

Old July 19th 04, 09:46 PM
Callistus Valerius

Default Lance blames fast food.

I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food. I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food joint, so could
someone with fast food experience please explain what Lance is talking
about.

Old July 19th 04, 10:04 PM
Clovis Lark

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food. I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food joint, so could
someone with fast food experience please explain what Lance is talking
about.

He's talking about the fact that he won't be making any income from
McDo's, KFC, ARBies, Hostess. Sucks to be him...
Old July 19th 04, 10:45 PM
Andre

Fast food joints provide 3 macronutrients that, from an evolutionary
perspective, are difficult to resist.
1. fat
2. sugar
3. salt

These three ingredients are addictive (as historically, they provided energy
\ electrolytic support). Some of the best biochemists in the world are
employed by the fast food energy. There job is to calibrate the combination
of the above ingredients so as to maximize the appeal of the food.
The problem, of course, is that the nutrient density of this food is poor.
Also, the food's calories are cheap in comparison to "healthy" food
calories.

Personally, there's nothing I like better after a tough race than a tasty
burger meal. Of course, most of my fellow customers had not arrived at the
restaurant with a 3000 kcal deficit from a bike race...

When energy input exceeds output, then the excess is stored as fat, "for a
rainy day", which sadly never arrives...

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois

nk.net...

Old July 20th 04, 12:15 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:46:45 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food.

Blaming fast food is idiotic. The fact of the matter is that the most
damaging foods - bread and butter - are also the cheapest.

Affordable calories & driving around everywhere & jobs that aren't
physically demanding = widespread obesity.
Old July 20th 04, 12:30 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food. I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food joint, so could
someone with fast food experience please explain what Lance is talking
about.

A lot of the food is fried or high-fat. And the portions are large or
cheap to increase in size. And there is little vegetables and fiber.

I don't think fast food is the whole story on the rampant obesity here
though -- it's simply that people eat too much and don't walk enough.

Also, fast food in the US is rapidly changing. I've been pleasantly
surprised by the quality of food at Wendy's for example -- good salads
and decent baked potatos. Plus there are sandwich shops like Subway
in more and more places with less fat and more vegetables.

JT

Old July 20th 04, 01:53 AM
Jack Hollis

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:30:31 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

A lot of the food is fried or high-fat. And the portions are large or
cheap to increase in size. And there is little vegetables and fiber.

Fat doesn't cause obesity, carbs do.
Old July 20th 04, 02:16 AM
IMKen

Fat, carbs nor protein cause one to be obese. it's caused by over eating
what ever it is you chose to eat..

Ken

Old July 20th 04, 02:23 AM
Shussbar

Fat doesn't cause obesity, carbs do.

I think excess is the problem. Fast food once in a while, link other things are
OK.
making a diet of it, well that is the problem.
Old July 20th 04, 02:33 AM
JoeG

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I was reading a Lance interview in Outdoor Life, and said that Americans
were grotesquely fat compared to Europeans. And that he blamed it on fast
food. I can't remember the last time I ate at a fast food joint, so could
someone with fast food experience please explain what Lance is talking
about.

It's NOT the fast food! The problem is the LARGE PORTIONs of food US
citizens prepare themselves ... anyone from the USA who goes to Europe
will have as their No 1 complaint: "I hate those small portions in Europe"